• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Secretary of State resigns after reveal of blackface photos

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

mike-ertel-blackface-320x180.jpg

Republican Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel.

1/25/19
Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel resigned Thursday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' office confirmed, on the same day that photos of him in blackface at a party nearly 15 years ago were publicly revealed. "I am submitting my resignation as Florida Secretary of State effective immediately," Ertel said in an email sent to DeSantis Thursday afternoon, provided by the DeSantis' office to CNN. "It has been an honor to serve you and the voters of Florida." DeSantis' press office said in an email to CNN that "the governor accepted Secretary Ertel's resignation." DeSantis was sworn in earlier this month, with Ertel's tenure lasting just under a month. Ertel could not be immediately reached for comment.

That was fast. Ertel wasn't even in office long enough to suppress any African-American votes.

Related: Florida Secretary of State Resigns After Blackface Photos Surface

The upset over 'blackface' is ridiculous. BUT...what he chose to go as IN blackface was pretty disgusting and worthy of him resigning.

People dont think.

Overreaction. This is partially, at least, the responsibility of our unreasonable political correctness forcing extreme responses.

We are not thinking about a practical approach to dealing with things people do that are social problem, ultimately sending these people back to the private sector with no real indication that a lesson was learned or that they changed their attitudes about these things. It is just out of sight out of mind instead of a desire to see betterment out of people doing stupid things.

mike-ertel-blackface-320x180.jpg

Republican Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel.

That was fast. Ertel wasn't even in office long enough to suppress any African-American votes.

Related: Florida Secretary of State Resigns After Blackface Photos Surface

The blackface thing doesn't bother me. I wouldn't personally do it, but to each his own. It was the callous slam at Hurricane Katrina victims that makes him a jerkoff.

Back
Top Bottom