• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida prosecutor Angela Corey’s Checkered Past

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Angela Corey=

Corey knows about personal vendettas. They seem to be her specialty. When Ron Littlepage, a journalist for the Florida Times-Union, wrote a column criticizing her handling of the Christian Fernandez case — in which Corey chose to prosecute a twelve-year-old boy for first-degree murder, who wound up locked in solitary confinement in an adult jail prior to his court date — she “fired off a two-page, single-spaced letter on official state-attorney letterhead hinting at lawsuits for libel.”

In June 2012, Alan Dershowitz, a well-known defense attorney who has been a professor at Harvard Law School for nearly half a century, criticized Corey for her affidavit in the Zimmerman case. Making use of a quirk of Florida law that gives prosecutors, for any case except first-degree murder, the option of filing an affidavit with the judge instead of going to a grand jury, Corey filed an affidavit that, according to Dershowitz, “willfully and deliberately omitted” crucial exculpatory evidence: namely, that Trayvon Martin was beating George Zimmerman bloody at the time of the fatal gunshot. So Corey avoided a grand jury, where her case likely would not have held water, and then withheld evidence in her affidavit to the judge. “It was a perjurious affidavit,” Dershowitz tells me, and that comes with serious consequences: “Submitting a false affidavit is grounds for disbarment.”

What happened in the weeks and months that followed was instructive. Dershowitz says that he was flooded with correspondence from people telling him that this is Corey’s well-known M.O. He says numerous sources — lawyers who had sparred with Corey in the courtroom, lawyers who had worked with and for her, and even multiple judges — informed him that Corey has a history of vigorously attacking any and all who criticize her. But it’s worse than that: Correspondents told him that Corey has a history of overcharging and withholding evidence

Wow, what a corrupt, royal bitch.

A medal should go to the brave soul in the IT department that made sure the defense received all the information they rightfully should have gotten from the outset. For that, Ms. Piggy fired him.

This woman has a history of vindictive behavior not becoming of a person in that position. Did you hear how soft-spoken and happy-happy-joy-joy she was in the post-trial press conference? It looked fake as could be then, and this article confirms it.

Here's hoping she's disbarred. I'm all for a tough prosecuting attorney, but not one that withholds evidence just to win a case.

Mark O'Mara goes after Angela Corey and Bernie de la Rionda

By: Steven H Ahle
July 16, 2013

Zimmerman defense lawyer, Mark O'Mara has vowed legal action against Angela Corey and Bernie de la Rionda for violations of the Brady rule by withholding exculpatory evidence. O'Mara originally made the charges before Zimmerman's trial, but Judge Debra Nelson delayed the hearing, citing the amount of time needed to hear arguments.

Corey insists that her office did nothing wrong and supplied the defense with all necessary information.

"Our office adhered to the highest standards of ethical behavior,our rules of professional conduct regulate comments like that. I don't think those are the kind of comments that are appropriate."

This comes on the heels of her firing IT Director, , Ben Kruidbos, who testified for the defense that the state had withheld over 1300 pictures and 2/3 of his report on eveidence gathered. Pictures included guns and drugs. He was fired because the office said he could no longer be trusted. Kruidbos is expected to bring legal action of his own.

Kruidbos testified that he informed Corey's office and Bernie de la Rionda personally of the situation. He was released from the State Attorney's office as soon as the case was turned over to jury deliberations.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Mark O'Mara goes after Angela Corey and Bernie de la Rionda - Columbia Public Policy | Examiner.com

We do know through the testimony given during the trial that exculpatory evidence was withheld by order of Angela Corey. The ethics charge when substantiated will cost Ms. Corey her license to practice law if not a term in a Florida jail. The same goes for Mr. Bernie De La Rionda, even possibly Mr. Guy.

Brady Rule | LII / Legal Information Institute
www.law.cornell.edu/wex/brady_rule
The Brady Rule, named for Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963), requires prosecutors to disclose materially exculpatory evidence in the government's …

Look up the story that leaked about her budgeting prowess and the retirement account deposits made last year for her and riolanda ....she was on a witch hunt for whoever passed that one out and it's public info.

When I heard Corey speak after the "not guilty" verdict in the Zimmerman trial I thought her rationale to prosecute sounded rather weak. And naive me; I thought justice is supposed to be blind.

Looks like George Zimmerman is going to be a rich man after all of his civil suits are settled and start to pay off, I mean out. :boom

Its amazing the city could fire the chief of police for having the integrity to do the right thing and no one FIRES this woman for doing the WRONG thing.
Both on the same case.

Back
Top Bottom