• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida principal who paddled 6-year-old faces potential consequences as student is allegedly still in pain

Usually you just learned to do it more sneakily and have a fall guy, or you grew up to be more aggressive/violent in later life because you have been trained to think that violence solves problems. And IMO it never does.
Well, I supposed that is two options out of an infinite number to choose from. But I disagree with your assertion that discipline leads to violence. Discipline is a tool used for teaching when done properly. When someone moves on to violence then it was never their intention to discipline IMO.

We are the only civilized country in the western world that thinks beating small children is a good idea.

Only within the construct of a sociaty.

There is no universality to right and wrong.

Different societies have different mores.

Right and wrong is a manifestation of what a group of people determine them to be, generally predicated at what serves the greater good.

You think mathematical right and wrong is a construct of society?

Not in this thread we don't, even when dictionary definition is offered. :confused:
That can be frustrating. I had a spat with another user who wanted to be pedantic jackass and failed miserably when discussing reparations.

So you also think there is no right or wrong in mathematics
Nope. Take a look at the money in your wallet, thats a social construct. People invented the concept of mathematics to understand the world.

Nope. Take a look at the money in your wallet, thats a social construct. People invented the concept of mathematics to understand the world.

You think fiat currency is "mathematics". SMH

I think it's clear from this thread that schooling is beyond repair beat the kids or not they will turn out brain damaged

You think fiat currency is "mathematics". SMH

I think it's clear from this thread that schooling is beyond repair beat the kids or not they will turn out brain damaged
No?…. Thats not what i said at all…mathematic is a tool that humans came up with.

At the start of every elementary school year my parents were asked by the administration whether they were allowed to use corporal punishment, if necessary, to discipline me and my brother. My parents made a point of signing off on the permission slip in our presence. "See this, boys? This is your warning to behave yourselves."

Different era. Schools risk their financial stability and even the safety of their staff spanking kids these days, permission slip or no. Whatever you believe about the practice itself, parents will sue (and worse) at the drop of a hat.

We are the only civilized country in the western world that thinks beating small children is a good idea.
Only one that has the death penalty too.

Yep, 23 other countries have it, but none are ones I want to live in.
It's almost how you can tell conservative countries from the more liberal societies. Muslim countries, Asian countries, places where obedience to authority is considered a virtue, those are conservative societies and those are where capital and corporal punishment still exist. Big, strong Daddy states, the stronger the better. Iran is like where good conservatives go when they die.
It shows in this thread. Who else but an authority-worshipping conservative would be fine with a stranger in a low-level position of authority punishing their children with a wooden paddle?

The Florida principal who paddled a 6-year-old student in a highly publicized April video reportedly has a history of paddle use.

Melissa Carter of Central Elementary School in Clewiston was also involved in previous incidents of paddling two students, local news station WINK reported Wednesday after obtaining Hendry County District Schools documents.

Carter has been the subject of widespread attention following the emergence of an April 13 video showing her disciplining a 6-year-old girl with a paddle.

During an interview with the Florida Department of Children and Families, the girl said the spanking gave her “purple bruises” and that it “hurts” to sit down, WINK reported.
=========================================================
When I went to Jr Hi in FL back in the day paddling was the form of student punishment. I think I had it once & it was nothing.

I can't speak for this principal but wonder why she had a paddle on hand + a history of paddling students.

These paddling sessions are usually more psycholo0gical than physical. Wonder what happened here.
He shouldn't be paddling anyone's children, except his own.

You should go spend a week in a school these days, children aren't stupid they know that the administrators have no tools to stop their misbehavior
I've volunteered at my kids' school (elementary school at least) and they have plenty of tools to stop misbehavior. I've seen them do it. They reward good behavior and in fact have punishments for bad behavior. It is multipronged in most schools, allowing for options and a much healthier way to discipline children. Those children were most certainly not "running wild".

well, my personal experience has showed me this is not always true

Again, my 40 years as an educator will attest it is.

Agree, but I witness it happening in the schools, and it is happening in nearly all public schools, at least by comparison to the 1960-70s, IMO.....
Observing my kids' school, their classes and them telling me about them, says that you are wrong, especially when I compare that to my own memories of school that did allow paddling from 30-35 years ago, 1980s/1990s. I was bullied in my schools. My kids are not, and their teachers all love them, have told me how great it is to have my kids in their class, how well behaved they are. When my youngest was in Kindergarten, after a few weeks his teacher asked me "do you use counting as part of your discipline for ...?". I told her I did (he went to time out if I got to 3, had privileges lost). She said she figured since he would immediately respond and start to do what he needed to do after she started counting.

Observing my kids' school, their classes and them telling me about them, says that you are wrong, especially when I compare that to my own memories of school that did allow paddling from 30-35 years ago, 1980s/1990s. I was bullied in my schools. My kids are not, and their teachers all love them, have told me how great it is to have my kids in their class, how well behaved they are. When my youngest was in Kindergarten, after a few weeks his teacher asked me "do you use counting as part of your discipline for ...?". I told her I did (he went to time out if I got to 3, had privileges lost). She said she figured since he would immediately respond and start to do what he needed to do after she started counting.
I agree. However, I was mostly referring to my experience with ages 13 -15..............

I agree. However, I was mostly referring to my experience with ages 13 -15..............
My oldest is currently 13. And even 20-30 years ago, they were not paddling teenagers. Teenagers got suspension.

True----never said otherwise.
It was being said that teenagers nowdays are worse than 20-30, 40 years ago because of lack of discipline in schools. Many of the same things (inschool and out of school suspension and expelling) and others (charging them for crimes, which was not the norm at all in the past) in fact do exist for middle school and high school students today. My experience compared to that of my sons seems to be that we had far worse issues with regard to discipline in the past. I went to far more conservative schools still in Carolinas than my sons do.

It was being said that teenagers nowdays are worse than 20-30, 40 years ago because of lack of discipline in schools. Many of the same things (inschool and out of school suspension and expelling) and others (charging them for crimes, which was not the norm at all in the past) in fact do exist for middle school and high school students today. My experience compared to that of my sons seems to be that we had far worse issues with regard to discipline in the past. I went to far more conservative schools still in Carolinas than my sons do.
LaCK OF DISCIPLINE AT Home might be more accurate. But then, the schools are not permitted to discipline as they did 50 years ago. The parents today may have had better discipline back a few years ago----but they don't seem to want their own kids to have the same.

School was boring. I was a handful growing up. I was paddled by professionals at almost every grade level.

My parents raised us to be polite and respectful and I was, even when getting my hide tanned.

One vice principal always explained to me why I was getting paddled and asked if I had any questions before I picked out a paddle for him to use.

“Yes, sir, I have one question. Are you going to call my father? You can handcuff me and throw me down a flight of stairs, just don’t call my old man.”

We always took our licks and politely walked back to class. It was badge of honor to man up and take it. It seems the administration, faculty and staff secretly respected us for being polite little bastards that never complained.

Schools should not paddle the kids, they should paddle the parents for raising crappy kids.

Back
Top Bottom