• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida principal who paddled 6-year-old faces potential consequences as student is allegedly still in pain

OMG

OK, I get it. Your post was bad and you don't want to admit it so you are scrambling to safe face.

The high road requires you simply admit you made a wrong statement.

This does nothing but continues your, now string, of bad posts.

Perspective, by definition, simply refers to a different view of the same situation or object.

The only way perspective can become superior with experience is if you ignore what the word perspective means. That of course is ridiculous. Words have universal meanings so people can communicate. If people just make up their own meaning of words, bye bye sociaty.
Just saying that perspective can improve with experience/time/history.

I may very well be wrong, and often am.

Just saying that perspective can improve with experience/time/history.

Perspective can change without experience/time/history.

It can be as simple as looking at the same object from a different vantage point without regard for experience/time/history.

6+or+9+perspective.jpg

Perspective can change without experience/time/history.

It can be as simple as looking at the same object from a different vantage point without regard for experience/time/history.

6+or+9+perspective.jpg
well----agree. But I would say that looking at something from a different vantage point IS experience, and often (if not always) occurs through time/history. Time & history automatically offer a different vantage point. We certainly look at the Civil War (for instance) MUCH differently than we would have in 1865. And working as a plumber for 40 years would certain give you a very different perspective on that job than someone who never did it. I would listen to both perspectives, but I would give more weight to the experienced plumber in judging their outlook.....etc..............I would respect both perspectives, and simply say that the inexperienced plumber has the perspective of an inexperienced plumber.....??!!

Yep, I was paddled a time or two in school. I learned not to do "that" again.

As we progress as a society, I often wonder if successive generations will finally get to the point where there are no consequences for actions.
We can only hope.

Unfortunately though there will always be consequences. I don't think we need to intentionally create consequences.

I got hit all through school and I don't think it helped at all. From the Catholic Nuns and their rulers on up to the Principal and their paddles. Even in the military I had the hell knocked out of me more than once. It just hardened me.

Couple of guys would beat me up and I would hunt them down and beat the hell out of them. It clearly did not detour me. It was actually long talks with a retired judge that I did plumbing work for that did me the most good. I never been in trouble since.

Before that I had bad guys put a gun in face and threaten to shoot me. I am looking down the barrel of a gun and trying to figure out how I can get the better of this person. I think violence begets violence. I don't think it detours it in a lot of people.

I would say that looking at something from a different vantage point IS experience

What can I do but laugh. By definition, this is not correct, again. Looking from things from differing vantage points is simply an intellectual approach. This approach can be leaned in many ways or simply something natural in people who are wired to think in logical and reasoned manner.

Experienced or inexperienced plumber has nothing to do with perspective.

I can see you are not going to understand this. Your experience has not helped you. ;) Your posts simply do not show sound structured reasoning. What you are doing is trying to create a construct that serves your postulate without regard to definition or unmolested reason.

If you will not accept my posts, you cannot evolve. It is what it is. I do not mean to be gruff.

What can I do but laugh. By definition, this is not correct, again. Looking from things from differing vantage points is simply an intellectual approach. This approach can be leaned in many ways or simply something natural in people who are wired to think in logical and reasoned manner.

Experienced or inexperienced plumber has nothing to do with perspective.

I can see you are not going to understand this. Your experience has not helped you. ;) Your posts simply do not show sound structured reasoning. What you are doing is trying to create a construct that serves your postulate without regard to definition or unmolested reason.

If you will not accept my posts, you cannot evolve. It is what it is. I do not mean to be gruff.
I accept your posts gladly---they are well written. However, I disagree with the 'plumber' concept above. I accept personal 'slight' insults as you give above, but not as gladly.............................I feel your lack of experience gives you a perspective different than my own, and it is a perspective that shows lack of experience................

We can only hope.

Unfortunately though there will always be consequences. I don't think we need to intentionally create consequences.

I got hit all through school and I don't think it helped at all. From the Catholic Nuns and their rulers on up to the Principal and their paddles. Even in the military I had the hell knocked out of me more than once. It just hardened me.

Couple of guys would beat me up and I would hunt them down and beat the hell out of them. It clearly did not detour me. It was actually long talks with a retired judge that I did plumbing work for that did me the most good. I never been in trouble since.

Before that I had bad guys put a gun in face and threaten to shoot me. I am looking down the barrel of a gun and trying to figure out how I can get the better of this person. I think violence begets violence. I don't think it detours it in a lot of people.
Certainly there is not a one-size fits all form of discipline. But it seems to be that discipline applied in any form (especially in school) can get twisted these days. It used to be I'd get in trouble in school and then I knew I'd be getting in trouble at home. Kids are amazing at pushing the limits and discipline is for teaching them the boundaries. Now, even looking at a student wrong can potentially cause grief for a teacher. As my first post mused, it seems one day there may not be many boundaries. Hopefully my thinking is wrong.

I accept your posts gladly---they are well written. However, I disagree with the 'plumber' concept above. I accept personal 'slight' insults as you give above, but not as gladly.............................I feel your lack of experience gives you a perspective different than my own, and it is a perspective that shows lack of experience................

You continue to use the wrong words. I already made clear that opinion and perspective are not interchangeable terms.

Further, you have offered no evidence of understanding that opinion only acceptable in the absence of fact, not in conflict with it.

Peace

perspective can improve with experience/time/history.

For your further edification.

Look at the example below,

Experience can teach us that if we look at the pile of wood from the other side we may draw a different conclusion. It does not alter our perspective on what we observe given our position.

This is simply using words correctly.

Your experience can teach you that charging your perspective can yield a different answer, that is, cause you to alter your opinion.

I feel your lack of experience gives you a perspective different than my own, and it is a perspective that shows lack of experience................

Again, perspective has nothing to do with experience. Opinion, perspective and fact are not interchange terms. They all have different meanings.

Your experience has not been helpful at all to you in understanding this fact.

Experience can teach us that if we look at the pile of wood from the other side we may draw a different conclusion. It does not alter our perspective on what we observe given our position.

Your experience can teach you that charging your perspective can yield a different answer, that is, cause you to alter your opinion.
I know that experience itself can alter perspective.................in fact it nearly always has....

Again, perspective has nothing to do with experience. Opinion, perspective and fact are not interchange terms. They all have different meanings.

Your experience has not been helpful at all to you in understanding this fact.
well---that is not true. as facts change so can our opinions. As facts change so can our perspective on anything.

Blister a kids ass and they'll think real good about behaving in class.

They're gonna think real good about how beating people works to get what one wants. Only idiots teach children to hit to get what they want.

Some people need to take a look at how they contribute to and create violence in society. The same scumbags teaching children to hit for results point at others: "Minorities cause violence!" And they're hitting their kids.

It's no wonder so many want to point fingers. It's because they beat children. They teach violence. Violence, even against loved ones, is the example they set. So of course they point fingers.

Last edited:
The kids today have become emboldened because they know the teachers can't do anything to them. The school these days is nothing like when we grew up, most kids today could use a good paddlin
Because assault like this solves everything..

Gawd the muh personal experience crowd strikes again.

Except that was only intended to be one number it's either a 6 or a 9 it's not both and it's the fault of whoever put it there to not make an indicator of which.

Here's a quote that stuck with me about a situation like that, "I’m sure this goes against everything you’ve been taught, but right and wrong do exist. Just because you don’t know what the right answer is – maybe there’s even no way you could know what the right answer is – doesn’t make your answer right or even okay. It’s much simpler than that. It’s just plain wrong."

If the parents were involved then the kid would never get paddled. It's only when the parents don't care that the discipline rises to that stange
The kid was ****ing bruised for days you know that right…

The kid was ****ing bruised for days you know that right…

I wasn't talking about this case specifically, I was only speaking to a need for administrators so have some form of discipline at their disposal

OMG

OK, I get it. Your post was bad and you don't want to admit it so you are scrambling to safe face.

The high road requires you simply admit you made a wrong statement.

This does nothing but continues your, now string, of bad posts.

Perspective, by definition, simply refers to a different view of the same situation or object.

The only way perspective can become superior with experience is if you ignore what the word perspective means. That of course is ridiculous. Words have universal meanings so people can communicate. If people just make up their own meaning of words, bye bye sociaty.
Which are made up in exactly the same way :p. We just all agree on the meanings of words.

I wasn't talking about this case specifically, I was only speaking to a need for administrators so have some form of discipline at their disposal
Sure. Discipline is needed.

LMAO it's always funny how child abuse apologists seem to think a couple anecdotes is worth more than peer reviewed studies and a near consensus of childcare professionals?

A quick google search will tell you corporal punishment is bad for kids, no need to bring up 5 different unverifiable stories that happened to you.

Yep, I was paddled a time or two in school. I learned not to do "that" again.

As we progress as a society, I often wonder if successive generations will finally get to the point where there are no consequences for actions.
Usually you just learned to do it more sneakily and have a fall guy, or you grew up to be more aggressive/violent in later life because you have been trained to think that violence solves problems. And IMO it never does.

And there will always be consequences for behavior, both good and bad behavior and both good and bad consequences, it is life IMO, you cannot go through life without going through consequences.

I know that experience itself can alter perspective.................in fact it nearly always has....

well---that is not true. as facts change so can our opinions. As facts change so can our perspective on anything.

I offered you an opportunity to increase your awareness through this exchange.
You have steadfastly refused my tutelage.

Words are not nebulous, logic is not malleable.

I wish you well.

right and wrong do exist.

Only within the construct of a sociaty.

There is no universality to right and wrong.

Different societies have different mores.

Right and wrong is a manifestation of what a group of people determine them to be, generally predicated at what serves the greater good.

Back
Top Bottom