• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida principal who paddled 6-year-old faces potential consequences as student is allegedly still in pain

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The Florida principal who paddled a 6-year-old student in a highly publicized April video reportedly has a history of paddle use.

Melissa Carter of Central Elementary School in Clewiston was also involved in previous incidents of paddling two students, local news station WINK reported Wednesday after obtaining Hendry County District Schools documents.

Carter has been the subject of widespread attention following the emergence of an April 13 video showing her disciplining a 6-year-old girl with a paddle.

During an interview with the Florida Department of Children and Families, the girl said the spanking gave her “purple bruises” and that it “hurts” to sit down, WINK reported.
=========================================================
When I went to Jr Hi in FL back in the day paddling was the form of student punishment. I think I had it once & it was nothing.

I can't speak for this principal but wonder why she had a paddle on hand + a history of paddling students.

These paddling sessions are usually more psycholo0gical than physical. Wonder what happened here.

When I went to Jr Hi in FL back in the day paddling was the form of student punishment. I think I had it once & it was nothing.

I can't speak for this principal but wonder why she had a paddle on hand + a history of paddling students.

These paddling sessions are usually more psycholo0gical than physical. Wonder what happened here.

Not my experience.

Teachers would beat the shit out of us when I was a kid, literally. I mean punch the shit out of "disruptive" students.

Kid next to me had his nose broken by an irate teacher.

As to paddling, it can be brutal, it can be symbolic. Either way it is so misguided a practice that any educator that does so needs to be permanently removed from education in addition to facing assault charges.

You do not hit kids, period.

Ever.

Not my experience.

Teachers would beat the shit out of us when I was a kid, literally. I mean punch the shit out of "disruptive" students.

Kid next to me had his nose broken by an irate teacher.

As to paddling, it can be brutal, it can be symbolic. Either way it is so misguided a practice that any educator that does so needs to be permanently removed from education in addition to facing assault charges.

You do not hit kids, period.

The kids today have become emboldened because they know the teachers can't do anything to them. The school these days is nothing like when we grew up, most kids today could use a good paddlin

The kids today have become emboldened because they know the teachers can't do anything to them. The school these days is nothing like when we grew up, most kids today could use a good paddlin

Paddling (physical assault) is a problem solving strategy.

Do you feel teaching kids assault as a problem solving strategy wise?

I know it is not.

Blister a kids ass and they'll think real good about behaving in class.

I know it is not.

Teaching them that their assault verbal or physical will be met no resistance is not wise either

It's called "discipline".......remember that?
Yep, I was paddled a time or two in school. I learned not to do "that" again.

As we progress as a society, I often wonder if successive generations will finally get to the point where there are no consequences for actions.

I know it is not.
I have seen paddling done with care (i.e.--the student knows why and was aware of the punishment beforehand) and done effectively with no "abuse". However, I think there are many dynamics involved and that the chances for "abuse" is relatively high simply because the teacher of a typical public school classroom can be going through immense stress and also not be able to take the proper time to discipline in other forms. When done with a few witnesses and with clear guidelines, it worked. Today, however, the environment is weak for this type of punishment. Once discipline was taken out of the teacher's hands, as it largely has been, society lost something, I feel. I, personally, am glad paddling no longer is allowed, but the teacher's job is much more complex today and difficult once they lost their autonomy in running their own classroom. Teachers today allow way more disrespect than 50 years ago, and is not only bad for society, but it costs taxpayers a lot more money to run schools now since more personnel are needed to handle discipline issues. I have seen students from the 1960s - 1980s now raising children who refuse to allow teachers to "touch" their children, and they wonder why their taxes for schools are so high......

Last edited:
Teaching them that their assault verbal or physical will be met no resistance is not wise either

You have committed a fallacy.

It is not an either or, either you physically assault a kid or you let a kid run wild.

It is a school. (you should do the same at home) You teach consequences, you don't teach the use of violence to resolve conflicts.

It is not an either or, either you physically assault a kid or you let a kid run wild.

It is a school. (you should do the same at home) You teach consequences, you don't teach the use of violence to resolve conflicts.

You should go spend a week in a school these days, children aren't stupid they know that the administrators have no tools to stop their misbehavior

I believe, however, there is a difference between "violence" and discipline. They are on different continuums, even though they make look the same from a distance. I think it all depends on the approach. At least that is the experience I had as a student (being paddled many times) and as an educator since the 1970s. The consequence I learned was that I got paddled for messing up. I walked the line, so to speak, as a student, but today it is the Educator who walks the line , and I think that is wrong somehow............................I agree their are other ways to discipline, but not all kids fit into one mold, nor do all teachers..................use of a paddle , in and of itself, is not always bad/evil/ or a poor strategy.

You should go spend a week in a school these days, children aren't stupid they know that the administrators have no tools to stop their misbehavior

Then I should be in charge of the schools not spending but a week at a school.

Blister a kids ass and they'll think real good about behaving in class.
Did it work that way with you? Did you submit?

It's called "discipline".......remember that?
It's called teaching a lesson about authority and humiliation and anyone who took it upon himself to teach that lesson to my child is about to learn a lesson themselves.

I believe, however, there is a difference between "violence" and discipline. They are on different continuums, even though they make look the same from a distance. I think it all depends on the approach. At least that is the experience I had as a student (being paddled many times) and as an educator since the 1970s. The consequence I learned was that I got paddled for messing up. I walked the line, so to speak, as a student, but today it is the Educator who walks the line , and I think that is wrong somehow............................I agree their are other ways to discipline, but not all kids fit into one mold, nor do all teachers..................use of a paddle , in and of itself, is not always bad/evil/ or a poor strategy.
Did you beat children or did you send them to someone else for their beating?

Back
Top Bottom