• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida police officer fired for the 7th time says he’ll get his job back again

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A south Florida cop who can’t remember whether he’s been fired seven times or eight is out of a job again — but believes he’ll get it back, again, too.
The Daily Beast reports that Sgt. German Bosque was cut loose by the Opa-Locka police department this week after allegedly instructing a subordinate who failed to secure a crime scene where a gun went missing to file a false report.

Really?
What the hell does it take to get rid of a dirty cop?

A south Florida cop who can’t remember whether he’s been fired seven times or eight is out of a job again — but believes he’ll get it back, again, too.
The Daily Beast reports that Sgt. German Bosque was cut loose by the Opa-Locka police department this week after allegedly instructing a subordinate who failed to secure a crime scene where a gun went missing to file a false report.

Really?

Their retirement? Its crazy.

The police unions have a ton of power and can be very very corrupt.

How did he get to be a cop in the first place? Oh, he was a South Florida cop. I get it now.

Really?
German Bosch, sorry Bosque? Oompa Loompa - oops, Opa Locka? Is this an Onion article?

The union saved his job in the past and might do it this time. Will the left ow rethink their position on unions?

The union saved his job in the past and might do it this time. Will the left ow rethink their position on unions?
America was best, most prosperous, when it's union membership was highest.
It was about 35% in 1954. Now, private sector union membership is about 6%.
Conservatives just believe whatever wealthy, powerful people tell them.

Last edited:

You can support unions, and still think some unions are corrupt to the point of criminal. Think of it like being a religious persin, and thinking some parts of the holiest books are silly and outdated.

Really?
Pass the George Floyd and policing act. That'll go a long way to keeping tabs on these bad apples.

The reason why union membership is declining is because the members rejected them, that or their jobs moved overseas. Is there any reason why teachers need a union? Or actors? Or news broadcasters? Heck, I don't think cops need a union.

No, not at all. Police unions have become the defense provider for all cops, good and bad. They have way too much power and its long past time we change that. What needs to change the most or eliminated entirely is the immunity that has been given to officers.

Really?
Another perk of being a bad cop, your record doesn't follow you.

I thought the number would be higher in Florida so I googled and clicked on the first hit. My brilliant strategy was rewarded with a private webpage apparently owned by an attorney. Nonetheless, the numbers look legit and there are some interesting highlights.

The reason why union membership is declining is because the members rejected them, that or their jobs moved overseas. Is there any reason why teachers need a union? Or actors? Or news broadcasters? Heck, I don't think cops need a union.
If it wasn't for police unions, many more cops would be fired for moderate offenses. The protections they have now are 95% because of the unions.

If we got rid of unions across the board, wages would drop like a rock and the workers wouldn't even be allowed to complain about job conditions. Just another step back toward slavery. Unions are necessary, but police unions have garnered way too much power over time.

If it wasn't for police unions, many more cops would be fired for moderate offenses. The protections they have now are 95% because of the unions.

If we got rid of unions across the board, wages would drop like a rock and the workers wouldn't even be allowed to complain about job conditions. Just another step back toward slavery. Unions are necessary, but police unions have garnered way too much power over time.
I agree with that.

Police unions have so much power because politicians covet the police endorsement. Therefore, when it comes time to negotiate the new contract, the politicians give away the house.

If union members rejected unions they were idiots.
Is it just a coincidence that union membership declined as America changed from a producer nation to the consumer of products made overseas? In 1954, when membership was highest, damn near everything an American could want or need was produced at home. Good stuff too, top quality. "Made in Japan" was a euphemism for cheap junk.
America was best when union membership was highest. A workingman's wages was enough to buy a house, raise a family, maybe put a bright daughter or son through university. Conservatives got their way on the subject though and this is the result. Cheap junk from China has flooded the country and It's all the average hourly-paid worker can afford. It requires two working-class incomes to buy a house and raise a family.

Last edited:
I thought the number would be higher in Florida so I googled and clicked on the first hit. My brilliant strategy was rewarded with a private webpage apparently owned by an attorney. Nonetheless, the numbers look legit and there are some interesting highlights.

Yeah, my source was Wiki (didn't follow the footnote) and they say the numbers are 6.2 % private sector, 33.6 % public sector, national average 10.3%.

South Florida Police Benevolent Association attorney Andrew Axelrod also expects that an arbitrator will give Bosque another chance. He blames the department for jumping the gun in making its determinations.

“As to this being his seventh termination, each case needs to be looked at individually,” he told the Daily Beast. “The number is certainly high, but that is only because each case was so weak that a termination could not possibly have been sustained.”

Axelrod also said that because of Bosque’s history of firings, he’s given no latitude.

That history reportedly includes three arrests — one of which occurred before he joined the force. He was cleared in all three cases. He was once convicted of witness tampering, but that verdict was overturned by an appeals court, the Herald said.

City Manager John Pate told The Daily Beast that “any reasonable person” would believe Bosque’s record should keep him from being a cop.

“Unfortunately, the powerful police unions and employment arbitrators who sit in judgment of these cases have put Sgt. Bosque back to work as a police officer every time,” he said.

The concept of having unionized workers is not invalidated by the fact that some public sector unions abuse their power. In such cases of abuse, the remedy is to reduce the power of unions, and the left is on board with such concept. It is those conservatives who oppose the BLM movement who need to rethink their position.

Back
Top Bottom