• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Police Chief Fired for Exclusively Hiring Candidates of Color

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Whatever happened to hiring the best possible applicants based on qualifications rather than ethnicity?

- Fort Lauderdale Police Chief Larry Scirotto has been fired for prioritizing minority candidates during the hiring process, reported CNN. Scirotto had been accused of overlooking white candidates, but he claimed his intentions were to create a department that was a reflection of the diverse community he served. With that, he had no regrets.

Whatever happened to hiring the best possible applicants based on qualifications rather than ethnicity?

- Fort Lauderdale Police Chief Larry Scirotto has been fired for prioritizing minority candidates during the hiring process, reported CNN. Scirotto had been accused of overlooking white candidates, but he claimed his intentions were to create a department that was a reflection of the diverse community he served. With that, he had no regrets.
Interesting story - it would be good to hear more.

The headline doesn't match the story at all. "Florida Police Chief Fired for Exclusively Hiring Candidates of Color" is the headline, but according the the article, 6 of 15 hires were "ethnic or gender minorities". That's hardly 'exclusive'. It absolutely makes sense to try to increase workforce diversity, especially when you are serving the public in a very diverse community.

Well, in the coming decades, a lot of department heads will be rolling, for non-Caucasian candidates will be given priority over the rapidly declining number of Caucasian candidates.

We are living in an entirely different United States of America.

Everyone has to wake up & smell the coffee.

Here in Los Angeles, for example, an African American Congress person will probably be the next mayor. Although her ethnicity is currently only about 9% in the city, there are many people (including liberal Caucasians) who feel that the city should have an African American mayor in order to show how diverse the city has become. Besides, Nancy has endorsed her. How can she lose?

Diversity is our weakness. Need look no further than Obama's 3rd term administration to see that.

I really gotta get on top of this more often, but I once again would like to remind everyone that The Headline Is Always A Lie

Yahoo News is always terrible, but this one takes the cake. The article gives away its own lie literally in the first sentence.

This is one of those few areas of hiring where I am strongly with diversity hires. Teaching is likely another one. In fact any career where your primary job is to be out and about, with the general public, serving them, I would be fine with diversity hires (assuming all else being equal of course)
I still disagree with passing over better qualified simply because you've got a quota to meet.

I still disagree with passing over better qualified simply because you've got a quota to meet.
This isn't really a thing and the opposite ends up being true far, far, far more often.

I googled to find a different source and found it interesting the different headlines pushing their chosen spin. Some played up the bi racial makeup of the Chief, some played up him being gay, some he hired too many minorities, and like the one in the OP he didn’t hire enough white people. If you look hard enough you can find a source to play into your perspective.

Back
Top Bottom