• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida pastor says he's 'rethinking" canceled Quran burning

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
(CNN) -- A Florida pastor who called off a Quran burning said late Thursday he was "rethinking our position" after a Muslim leader said the minister incorrectly announced that the proposed Islamic center near New York's ground zero would be moved as part of a deal.

The dramatic development was one of several twists on a day when President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Robert Gates urged the Rev. Terry Jones to call off the Saturday event, timed for the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

During the afternoon, Jones canceled his plan to burn copies of the Quran, based on what he said were assurances from a local Muslim leader that the Islamic center in New York would be moved -- an assertion rejected by the center's visionary in New York.

Jones, leader of the Gainesville, Florida-based Dove World Outreach Center, announced he will travel Saturday to New York to meet with the religious leader behind the planned center, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, about a new location.

Florida pastor says he's 'rethinking" canceled Quran burning - CNN.com

:lamo

Would this mother****er make up his mind lol

Sounds like he was using the Quran burning as a scheme to get the Islamic Center to pick up and move and it didn't work.

Or...

He's just a big media attention whore :)

For real it took people this long to figure it out? I may just call CNN tomorrow and say I am burning a Bible and Quran together in the same trash can. The country may just explode from outrage.

Seems to me he felt hoodwinked and went back to Plan A.

And I suppose given the Islamic propensity to launch into a deranged and screeching psycho-rage over anything which doesn't go their way, I'd say a Koran-burning exercise would do them a lot of good when it comes to character building.

Gits: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...s-howl-fury-over-bbcs-koran-slamming-gay.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...e-birminghams-now-islam-zone-rule-police.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...advocate-muslim-only-toilets-integration.html

Last edited:
For real it took people this long to figure it out? I may just call CNN tomorrow and say I am burning a Bible and Quran together in the same trash can. The country may just explode from outrage.
Why stop there?

I wonder how many religions have books/whatever you can burn...

The whole WORLD may just explode from outrage... :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Why stop there?

just as long as they don't burn the gospel of the flying spaghetti monster.

ALL HAIL FSM!!!!!

fsm.jpg

Why stop there?

I don't care about the rest of the world. I just want the U.S. to explode from having the Bible being burnt in the same trash can as the Quran.

If only the terrorists waffled this way maybe thousands and thousands of people would still be alive today.

Aunt. I'm sorry but...

What does that have to do with the Topic?

You know - when someone waffles it means they never make up their mind.
When someone never makes up their mind on a course of action they make no action.
Thus - they never do anything.

If the terrorists never did anything (aka - if they waffled this way) then they wouldn't be terrorizing anyone now would they?

Wishful thinking.

I really don't understand how some moron who wants to burn Korans is newsworthy. If the news would have ignored him entirely then the middle east wouldn't even catch wind of this and there would be no problems. Now if he does carry this out he will likely be murdered within the next month, which might not be such a bad thing.

You know - when someone waffles it means they never make up their mind.
When someone never makes up their mind on a course of action they make no action.
Thus - they never do anything.

If the terrorists never did anything (aka - if they waffled this way) then they wouldn't be terrorizing anyone now would they?

Wishful thinking.

No, we understood your post. You're acting like we didn't get your meaning. We get your meaning.
But what does it have to do with this "church?"

Ultimately I think some do...

Not every person that signed up to be a terrorist carries out their attacks, because they are ultimately human.

Think of it this way.

A guy knows his wife is cheating. He buys a gun, he gets ready to kill her. But when it comes down to it, he simply can't pull the trigger.

Some young guy gets recruited to blow himself up. He walks into a market, he see's children running around him. He see's people just living their lives. He leaves.

In all that there's ever been, do you believe this has never happened?

One could hope that the people that carried out 9/11 had thought the same way.

But what is Verbay, is verbay.

Seems to me he felt hoodwinked and went back to Plan A.

And I suppose given the Islamic propensity to launch into a deranged and screeching psycho-rage over anything which doesn't go their way, I'd say a Koran-burning exercise would do them a lot of good when it comes to character building.

Gits: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...s-howl-fury-over-bbcs-koran-slamming-gay.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...e-birminghams-now-islam-zone-rule-police.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...advocate-muslim-only-toilets-integration.html

Are you for real? You're defending this hate inciting moron?

If the guy got hoodwinked it's because he's so damn stupid.

Last edited:
I really don't understand how some moron who wants to burn Korans is newsworthy. If the news would have ignored him entirely then the middle east wouldn't even catch wind of this and there would be no problems. Now if he does carry this out he will likely be murdered within the next month, which might not be such a bad thing.

Who cares about him? What about the collateral damage he is causing? Even if he doesn't burn anything the damage may have already been done.

You know what really kills me? Some of the same people that were whining about the war documents that were released on the Internet are defending this guy's freedom of speech.

:screwy

This whole deal sounds shady. I feel like there's a lot more to this story than we know right now.

This goofy Pastor has garnered much more attention from every quarter than he or his threat deserves.

Our troops are under threat every damn day from Radical Muslims, and all this attention is what I believe only serves to add to the problems not help in any way.

Let the idiot burn the Quran or Koran, or is it Coran. what ever it is let him burn them and just don't cover the event in the news on film or in any stories.

After all if doing it is dangerous covering the even only adds to the problem.

You're defending this hate inciting moron?

Just trying to get some perspective.

And it's funny that I only hear a great deal of Leftist whining about an extremist cleric when we're not focussing on a Muslim.

For example, when the Finsbury Park mosque in London was used as a terror base and arms cache, all we heard from liberals and leftists then were orders to stay silent in case 'tensions' were roused.

Indeed, the Red swine even OUTLAW crticism of the creed behind the evil, legislation only coming at a time when Islam faces just scrutiny: http://creepingsharia.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/criticizing-islam-now-a-crime-in-ireland/

Last edited:
No, we understood your post. You're acting like we didn't get your meaning. We get your meaning.
But what does it have to do with this "church?"

It was in response to Jeboogie's original joke - I just didn't quote. :shrug:

Indeed,

Everyone knows the gospel of the FSM should instead be boiled for 9 to 11 minutes, perhaps with some salt and olive oil, until al dente and then covered in ones sauce of choice. Breadsticks optional.

Indeed,

Everyone knows the gospel of the FSM should instead be boiled for 9 to 11 minutes, perhaps with some salt and olive oil, until al dente and then covered in ones sauce of choice. Breadsticks optional.

Fantastic.

Just Fantastic :rofl

Back
Top Bottom