• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Panel Recommends Arming Some Teachers

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The panel investigating the Florida high school massacre is recommending that teachers who volunteer and undergo extensive background checks and training be allowed to carry concealed guns on campus to stop future shootings
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission voted 13-1 Wednesday to recommend the Legislature allow the arming of those teachers, saying it's not enough to have one or two police officers or armed guards on campus.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-judge-wont-drop-school-massacre-parents-suit

=================================================================

Looks like the panel agrees with Trump that arming some teachers is a logical way to increase security in schools.

Last edited:
Not my state (though I could imagine my state doing it).

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-judge-wont-drop-school-massacre-parents-suit

=================================================================

Looks like the panel agrees with Trump that arming some teachers is a logical way to increase security in schools.

I've long believed that all teachers should have fulfilled the requirements of the concealed carry permit and all teachers be allowed, but not required, to carry concealed. Subject to total control of the weapon at all times.

The lack of knowing who would be the carrier in a school shooting might cause a potential shooter to reconsider.

Not to worry; there are a lot of teachers who carry no matter what the law says. I was one of them for over 30 years. My son in law is an airline pilot, and he is always armed.

IMHO we need to harden the target as much as we can. Reinforced doors, locks, magnetometers and armed guards at the single entrance and exits that lock by themselves when someone goes outside. Well trained volunteer teachers that conceal carry and don't tell the students they carry, Bright colored weapons for the armed teacher to conceal carry so if SWAT comes in they will know they are a theacher not the shooter. There is no way for the police to respond fast enough. The shooter needs to know he isn't shooting at a bunch of defenseless people and may pay with his life.

Last edited:
IMHO we need to harden the target as much as we can. Reinforced doors, locks, magnetometers and armed guards at the single entrance and exits that lock by themselves when someone goes outside. Well trained volunteer teachers that conceal carry and don't tell the students they carry, Bright colored weapons for the teacher to conceal carry so if SWAT comes in they will know they are a theacher not the shooter. There is no way for the police to respond fast enough. The shooter needs to know he isn't shooting at a bunch of defenseless people and may pay with his life.

Also electrified barbed wire fences, moats, sniper nests. Tactical close combat armor and flash bangs for select students that have passed training in an elite counter terrorism program. We can have kid soldiers that patrol the halls with guard dogs and brass knuckles.

Also electrified barbed wire fences, moats, sniper nests. Tactical close combat armor and flash bangs for select students that have passed training in an elite counter terrorism program. We can have kid soldiers that patrol the halls with guard dogs and brass knuckles.
OK how about suggestions about how we can reduce shootings in our schools that would actually work.

OK how about suggestions about how we can reduce shootings in our schools that would actually work.

5b178ef7b5cf6.jpeg

Or don't arm teachers and put your faith in Sheriff Israel (who's still in charge) to protect you.

There's almost 400 million guns floating around the U.S. There is no practical solution.

It is already allowed in many states. It has neither caused not prevented a disaster.

It is already allowed in many states. It has neither caused not prevented a disaster.
You don't know if it prevented disaster. There are schools in Texas that have large signs that advise that the Teachers may be armed. They have not been attacked. Perhaps a would be shooter thought better of it after seeing the signs.

There's almost 400 million guns floating around the U.S. There is no practical solution.
There is a practical solution. TRAIN and arm qualified teachers who are already on site and could react immediately to neutralize the threat. And of course harden the target.

Last edited:
There is a practical solution. TRAIN and arm qualified teacher who are already on site and could react immediately to neutralize the threat. And of course harden the target.

So now we're changing the scope of a teacher's job to include weapons training? It would have to be ongoing training to ensure those skills are retained. How does this impact their salaries since this is not part of the original contract?

So now we're changing the scope of a teacher's job to include weapons training? It would have to be ongoing training to ensure those skills are retained. How does this impact their salaries since this is not part of the original contract?
They already doing it in some Texas schools. The program is voluntary and they have no problem getting people who want to participate. The have a continuing training program. I know if I was a teacher I would prefer to Conceal Carry at work. I already CC so being able to protect my life and the lives of others seem logical. I'd rather be able to shoot at a school shooter than throw hockey pucks at them like one school system wants to do. .

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/03/22/rural-texas-harrold-school-teachers-guns-before-parkland/

Last edited:
Hall monitors too. Keep those young assholes from going up the “down” staircases.
So what other gem of wisdom do you have to contribute that might actually protect kids.

Back
Top Bottom