• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida may require high school students take financial literacy course in order to graduate

Roadvirus

Heading North
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I also agree with it. It's important to know how to manage your money.

I agree with this. In fact, a Civics course should also be a requirement.

All depends on how this is going to be implemented. What would a financial literacy course look like? Where in the curriculum would it be implemented.

Not sure why some think this is new or innovative.
Graduated high school in the mid 1970s.
Graduation requirements included classes on basic accounting, balancing a check book, what a credit score meant. And it even went further. How to register to vote, a civics class to understand how government worked.
All basic skills a high school graduate should know.
Not sure why we moved away from it to begin with.

LEAVE IT UP TO THE LOCAL PARENTS!!!!

Florida man looking better today.

About time the schools start to teach what is relevant to going out in the world.

Yes BUT it is way more than these two things. Way more. What we teach and how is positively inane.

The educational system needs a complete rebuild. Better yet, a complete replacement.

Rick Scott might have benefitted from this before becoming involved in the grearest Medicare scam in history

All depends on how this is going to be implemented. What would a financial literacy course look like? Where in the curriculum would it be implemented.
"It is critical we set Florida students up for financial success and this legislation will ensure vital financial literacy resources are available to students before graduation. Financial literacy is an important key to a strong financial future and learning the basics of credit, budgeting, savings, and investing, can further prepare students for a successful future," Jimmy Patronis, Florida Chief Financial Officer, said in a statement, according to WFLA.

"It is critical we set Florida students up for financial success and this legislation will ensure vital financial literacy resources are available to students before graduation. Financial literacy is an important key to a strong financial future and learning the basics of credit, budgeting, savings, and investing, can further prepare students for a successful future," Jimmy Patronis, Florida Chief Financial Officer, said in a statement, according to WFLA.

OK, but where will it be taught in the curriculum? What gets cut to make room?

Depends on their idea of finacial literacy. If a student cant read a stock or futures chart they are illiterate as far as I am concerned.
Hell, I'd be happy if they could balance a checkbook and explain compound interest. (particularly those interested in student loans).

Good question. Back in prehistory times when I was starting high school all freshmen were required to take a course called Business 1A. It covered thinks like bank accounts, loans, stocks and bonds - at introductory levels. I my class the teacher gave each of us a checkbook and register. Each day she'd pas out bills or checks which we'd enter into our check registers. About mid-year we got into stocks and bonds and created our own "portfolios". We learned to read stock pages each day or so and track our portfolios. We also had lectures during class. It was a fun class and I think we learned a lot.

If a government class in 12th grade is not already required statewide, I want to know why. That one is a no-brainer.

I would go even further than financial literacy. How about a personal finance class to make sure everyone knows all about how to spend their money wisely, when to save it, and choose the right kinds of bank accounts, homes, vehicles, insurance plans, etc?

Not sure why some think this is new or innovative.
Graduated high school in the mid 1970s.
Graduation requirements included classes on basic accounting, balancing a check book, what a credit score meant. And it even went further. How to register to vote, a civics class to understand how government worked.
All basic skills a high school graduate should know.
Not sure why we moved away from it to begin with.

Where I went to high school, a completely optional one-semester personal finance class is offered. That was in the mid-1990s So yes, the concept of requiring such a class is definitely innovative.

Back
Top Bottom