• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida High School Student Suspended After Handing Out Pride Flags

Nomad4Ever

Dark Brandon Acolyte
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Flagler Palm Coast High School junior Jack Petocz helped organize a statewide walkout on Thursday to protest House Bill 1557, a hugely controversial measure that would prohibit school instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade.
He said an hour before the protest, the principal pulled him aside and specifically complained about the flags. “He told me I wouldn’t be allowed to [distribute the flags]. He went further to question the intentions of our protest, asking if pride flags were relevant to opposition to the bill.”
It’s actually painful to sit and watch us go backwards. I cannot believe we have allowed it to get to this point. Every American should oppose this. I’m in FL at the moment and plan on going to protest this bill if I can. One of the most disgusting pieces of legislation I’ve ever seen.
Petocz said he would do it again. “I may have been suspended, but I will not be silenced. I am proud of who I am, and I am #notafraidtosaygay,” he said in a Twitter statement.
👑

What do little flags have to do with the bill?

It’s actually painful to sit and watch us go backwards. I cannot believe we have allowed it to get to this point. Every American should oppose this. I’m in FL at the moment and plan on going to protest this bill if I can. One of the most disgusting pieces of legislation I’ve ever seen.

👑

Besides the student's assertion that he was suspended due to flags, do we know this is the case? Could he be suspended for breaking other rules, in relation to the walk-out he organized?

We need to see the investigation report, before we can accurately weigh-in on this.

Besides the student's assertion that he was suspended due to flags, do we know this is the case? Could he be suspended for breaking other rules, in relation to the walk-out he organized?

We need to see the investigation report, before we can accurately weigh-in on this.
Seems it was a walk out protest during school hours

Well the bill restricts talking about LGTBQ+ stuff in school, and the flags he handed out were pride flags.
Can you pass out bibles?

Seems it was a walk out protest during school hours

Yes.

My point is we don't know why the School suspended the kid, until they release their findings. All we have is the kid's ascertains.

Yes.

My point is we don't know why the School suspended the kid, until they release their findings. All we have is the kid's ascertains.
No, we won’t know until the school finishes their investigation.

So the homosexual high school teenager is upset over a bill which prohibits the discussion of gender issues in public schools for KINDERGARTEN THROUGH THIRD GRADE!!! As if very young children, most who are not even yet aware of any form of sexuality need to be have some of this crap forced on them so soon. Is it not enough to expect to let the young ones just be kids for the little amount of time they can be innocent?

To hell with this high school teenager and his entitled demands; nobody is stopping teachers from talking about all the sick shit this kid likes to talk about to teenagers. He is basically DEMANDING that the children of other people be forced into his worldview without consideration of age appropriatness.

In my day they didn't need to suspend little shits like this teenager. In my day things were handled differently.

We'll have to wait to see if and where Petrocz violated any rules. Don't want to restrict any freedoms that Petrocz may have, but I like the bill in the Florida house. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with restricting classroom instruction on sexual orientation to 1st and 2nd graders.

We'll see.

What does that have to with gay pride flags?
Depends. Maybe someone who is proud of being a Christian wants to show it by passing out bibles.

Yes.

being in his junior year, it is doubtful the kid has reaching the age of 18. thus, the school cannot release information to the public about his actions and punishment

looking forward to seeing this story unfold by astute reporting. my speculation is the scenario will play out about the way the kid described

Last edited:
So the homosexual high school teenager is upset over a bill which prohibits the discussion of gender issues in public schools for KINDERGARTEN THROUGH THIRD GRADE!!! As if very young children, most who are not even yet aware of any form of sexuality need to be have some of this crap forced on them so soon. Is it not enough to expect to let the young ones just be kids for the little amount of time they can be innocent?

To hell with this high school teenager and his entitled demands; nobody is stopping teachers from talking about all the sick shit this kid likes to talk about to teenagers. He is basically DEMANDING that the children of other people be forced into his worldview without consideration of age appropriatness.

In my day they didn't need to suspend little shits like this teenager. In my day things were handled differently.
back in your day, how would this have played out?

Depends. Maybe someone who is proud of being a Christian wants to show it by passing out bibles.
I have no idea what the law is on that, but I personally can’t find an issue with an individual handing out bibles if they want to. It’s only if the school was doing it that I would have a problem with it.

How can you object to prohibiting propaganda that targets K-3rd grade kids? What kind of a sick ****ing douchebag would actually approve of indoctrinating children in the first place?

This is too funny to even get mad at honestly. It’s not “your day” anymore champ. Stay mad.
[emphasis added by bubba]

started to correct that to "stay angry", then realized you got it right the first time

Well the bill restricts talking about LGTBQ+ stuff in school, and the flags he handed out were pride flags.
No....the bill restricts piece of shit leftists from indoctrinating children in the K-3rd grades. It doesnt prohibit discussing sexuality and gender issues on older classrooms. Seriously...what kind of a sick **** sits back and thinks its appropriate to begin indoctrinating children as young as 4 years old?

No....the bill restricts piece of shit leftists from indoctrinating children in the K-3rd grades. It doesnt prohibit discussing sexuality and gender issues on older classrooms. Seriously...what kind of a sick **** sits back and thinks its appropriate to begin indoctrinating children as young as 4 years old?
[emphasis added by bubba here ^ and below]

but it does prohibit such discussions by school staff beyond the third grade
The House bill, sponsored by Rep. Joe Harding, R-Williston, states that teachers and other school personnel may not discuss sexual orientation or gender identity in kindergarten through third-grade classes or in other grades “in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate” based on state standards.

if you can share what those state standards consist of we can continue the conversation, otherwise the prohibition exists for ALL grades

[emphasis added by bubba here ^ and below]

but it does prohibit such discussions by school staff beyond the third grade

if you can share what those state standards consist of we can continue the conversation, otherwise the prohibition exists for ALL grades
Your own post answers the question.

the legislation bars piece of shit leftists from indoctrinating 4 year olds...I'd think even you can agree that it would not be appropriate for threat to happen. In later grades it allows for age and developmentally appropriate discussions.

You have no argument.

Back
Top Bottom