• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Gov DeSantis Pushes To End Disney Self-Government

I'm not a fan of corporate welfare, but Florida's COVIDiot governor is a more pressing danger. If tweety doesn't run, Republicans will probably try to force him or that asshole from Texas onto all of the rest of us. They're both currently competing for the slot.

This has got to be one of the most childish things I've seen desantis and the republicans in Florida do.

Is that all the republicans can do? Take revenge out on people who don't do what the republicans want them to do?

A company has the right to disagree with that don't say gay law and voice their opinions about it. They also have the right to donate to any politician they want to or not donate to any politician they don't want to. It's called free speech.

But just because of that the republican politicians in Florida want to take Disney's self government from them. Which personally, I don't see why they got it in the first place but they did.

So what the republican politicians in Florida are saying is that if Disney stops paying them, they will take the self government from Disney.

Wow, talk about corrupt government.

My question now is, will Florida want to spend the money to do that job that Disney has been doing and paying for?

I don't know but I do know that if the state of Florida takes self government of Disney away, watch as Disney in Florida to get even worse.

The state isn't going to want to raise taxes to spend the money to do the job that Disney has been doing on it's own so things at Disney in Florida are going to change a lot if this does happen.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

And yet, Disney has no problem filming a movie in a Chinese province where an ethnic group is being persecuted AND giving China's propaganda ministry a kudos in said movie's "Thank you" credits.
Correct. Disney cares about profits and nothing else. Glad you're catching on to capitalism!

Oh yes, please please do find a way to drive Disney out of FL, then eat the price.

I doubt they move anywhere; Disney is tied to Florida. They'll find some sort of compromise and tell employees to low lay to avoid the wrath of Der Fuhrer Desantis.

The answer to the question that you pointed out here is that Disney hired art students instead of actual creative people. Art students go to college and not that college is a bad thing even for art but typically people who go to college become a doctorated with this kind of nonsense through being required to take gender studies or other various grievance courses.

The the talent pool from which they draw their creative people seems to produce this kind of person.

Film used to be about cinematics storytelling various other things now it's about how many women you can get in the frame at one time how they don't need no man. They picked sides a long time ago
I don't think it was their hiring. Disney does some creative entertainment and until recently they've been a well run company.

But while it's important to keep your employees happy, I suspect their management has lost sight of the fact that having emotionally satisfied employees is not their primary obligation; it's simply a means to and end. Their overarching obligation is protecting shareholder value. Disney is now in the news for all the wrong reasons, and they've got FL, and maybe even national, political leaders thinking their careers can be enhanced by taking on Disney. They entire point of spending all that money on media and government relations is to avoid this problem from ever happening. So in a sense, they've already lost.

How this plays out is now beyond Disney's control. They are in political free call and whether their shareholders will be okay with where they is land far from certain.

Well, if you'd bought Disney stock when Eisner took over (1984) and held it through today, you'd have done incredibly well - up about 130X or roughly 11,000%, about 3x the SP500.

Yeah, that post was total nonsense.

Disney is often exalted as an example of a top tier exceptionally successful corporation.

This has got to be one of the most childish things I've seen desantis and the republicans in Florida do.

Is that all the republicans can do? Take revenge out on people who don't do what the republicans want them to do?

A company has the right to disagree with that don't say gay law and voice their opinions about it. They also have the right to donate to any politician they want to or not donate to any politician they don't want to. It's called free speech.

But just because of that the republican politicians in Florida want to take Disney's self government from them. Which personally, I don't see why they got it in the first place but they did.

So what the republican politicians in Florida are saying is that if Disney stops paying them, they will take the self government from Disney.

Wow, talk about corrupt government.

My question now is, will Florida want to spend the money to do that job that Disney has been doing and paying for?

I don't know but I do know that if the state of Florida takes self government of Disney away, watch as Disney in Florida to get even worse.

The state isn't going to want to raise taxes to spend the money to do the job that Disney has been doing on it's own so things at Disney in Florida are going to change a lot if this does happen.

Never, never challenge DeSantis to a stupidity contest... He has already topped this today... Look what you did... lol

Never, never challenge DeSantis to a stupidity contest... He has already topped this today... Look what you did... lol

What "ways" is he talking about? Does this dude do anything that actually improves the lives of his constituents?

Last edited:
I don't think it was their hiring. Disney does some creative entertainment and until recently they've been a well run company.

But while it's important to keep your employees happy, I suspect their management has lost sight of the fact that having emotionally satisfied employees is not their primary obligation; it's simply a means to and end. Their overarching obligation is protecting shareholder value. Disney is now in the news for all the wrong reasons, and they've got FL, and maybe even national, political leaders thinking their careers can be enhanced by taking on Disney. They entire point of spending all that money on media and government relations is to avoid this problem from ever happening. So in a sense, they've already lost.

How this plays out is now beyond Disney's control. They are in political free call and whether their shareholders will be okay with where they is land far from certain.
They might be kmarting too.

If this idiot gets Disneyworld shut down, Florida will never have a Republican Governor again. Authoritarians are stupid.

If he gets Disney World shut down (to own the libruls, you know), Orlando will go back to the desert wasteland it was before 1972.

But the Villages will still be nearby, and those Trump/DeSantis lovers can chew on their dentures and say "Well at least it isn't here anymore making the childrens gay".

At some point their shareholders are going to start publicly questioning just why Disney's management decided to pick sides in the culture wars.
Does it really surprise you that a multinational corporation drawing talent from all walks of life, and all over the globe, including LGBT and those friendly to that population, picked the side of tolerance for that demographic? Or that a company selling movies and all the rest globally want their characters to include minorities that look like people....they want to sell movies etc. to and make lots of money? Are you surprised they didn't remain neutral between reactionary right wingers and the LGBT tolerant wing of the country?

Did you think about this at all?

Back
Top Bottom