• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida golfer unfazed as alligator approaches

EdwinWillers

"Statism - ideas so good they require coercion"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

You occasionally run across wildlife when playing golf - but an alligator?

Happened to us many years ago playing golf on a course in SC. We hit our tee shots and started down the fairway - and there he was, sunning himself I guess.

No way we were approaching so it took the course marshal to drive him away so we could proceed.

In Florida? Hell yeah...happens all the time. Even on golf courses. ESPECIALLY golf courses (which is why you approach the water traps with caution).

Happened to us many years ago playing golf on a course in SC. We hit our tee shots and started down the fairway - and there he was, sunning himself I guess.

No way we were approaching so it took the course marshal to drive him away so we could proceed.
Alligators do not hunt prey on land. They hide under water and ambush animals near the shore. An alligator walking on a golf course is just moving to another water hazard and not a threat unless you jump into his mouth.

Alligators do not hunt prey on land. They hide under water and ambush animals near the shore. An alligator walking on a golf course is just moving to another water hazard and not a threat unless you jump into his mouth.
Yeah well, that may be - but I'm not one to tempt fate if I can help it. :)

In Florida? Hell yeah...happens all the time. Even on golf courses. ESPECIALLY golf courses (which is why you approach the water traps with caution).
I heard pythons are becoming a problem down there now too.

Meh - I've done hot and humid; but I don't do it any more, not if I can help it. I'd rather deal with geese and the occasional elk on courses where I live - and where the air is DRY. :)

I heard pythons are becoming a problem down there now too.

Meh - I've done hot and humid; but I don't do it any more, not if I can help it. I'd rather deal with geese and the occasional elk on courses where I live - and where the air is DRY. :)
Yes asian pythons were released into the everglades by snake "collectors" and have infested it. They have no natural enemies and will even eat alligators.

I'd take the exact same approach you did. No way I'd hit a shot that close to a gator!

I'd take the exact same approach you did. No way I'd hit a shot that close to a gator!
Because you do not know that gators are not monsters and they only hunt while in the water. They are quite docile on land.

Because you do not know that gators are not monsters and they only hunt while in the water. They are quite docile on land.
I've heard that and I might grow to have more confidence in time but, so far, I haven't had enough gator experience to have that comfort level.

I've heard that and I might grow to have more confidence in time but, so far, I haven't had enough gator experience to have that comfort level.
They do take a little getting used to. I will admit that. They have been walking the earth since before the dinosaurs so they look like walking fossils.

I golf a lot in FL and alligators are pretty common on courses with water. Usually, they are just basking in the sun beside the water. I give them tons of space and if my ball goes near one I consider the ball lost but will admit to just hitting another ball not taking a stroke!

Last edited:

I have run across them a few times at the golf course. No problem. You don't bother them, they keep their distance from you.

They do take a little getting used to. I will admit that. They have been walking the earth since before the dinosaurs so they look like walking fossils.
They only eat libruls. :D

Nnnnope. I've seen Happy Gilmore enough times.

pretty good swing, especially considering the circumstances.

I golf a lot in FL and alligators are pretty common on courses with water. Usually, they are just basking in the sun beside the water. I give them tons of space and if my ball goes near one I consider the ball lost but will admit to just hitting another ball not taking a stroke!
The way we play, it'd be a legitimate mulligan. :)

I hit a hole in one on a par 4 once. But the prairie dog didn't much appreciate me trying to retrieve my ball. I ended up taking a drop - "natural hazard." :)

Down here, you run across ‘gators everywhere. Not a big deal. I find them frequently near back porch. As long as you stay out of water, they are probably not going to attack you unless they feel threatened.

Yes asian pythons were released into the everglades by snake "collectors" and have infested it. They have no natural enemies and will even eat alligators.

Yup. Also read an article that talked about how all the hurricanes we were having there for a while caused many to be released into the wild after the stores were damaged in the storms. They just slithered out and into the streets, eating small dogs and Buicks along the way.

They have rodeos every year for them in the Everglades, or they used to.

Did you see how his left foot jumped and turned as he was swinging? That one thing will tell you what his handicap is.

Down here, you run across ‘gators everywhere. Not a big deal. I find them frequently near back porch. As long as you stay out of water, they are probably not going to attack you unless they feel threatened.
That's interesting - still freaks me out a bit, being from the mountains. When I was in the Navy, in Chas'n, we ran across some and had no idea if they were aggressive or not so we kept our distance.. and then some. :)

Nice to know they're not that aggressive, though I think I'd worry about my pups (they're not exactly rocket scientists when it comes to the wildlife :) ).

We get lots of geese out here - and the occasional coyote. On some courses, elk and the occasional moose dominate and they can be a concern 'cause they're usually down this low for mating. Moose you never want to take your chances with.

It's pretty common to see gators on golf courses around here. Generally the golfers and gators ignore each other.

It's pretty common to see gators on golf courses around here. Generally the golfers and gators ignore each other.
Yeah, that's what others have said too. I don't know, being a "mountain man" myself, just knowing there might be reptiles like that near me makes my skin crawl. :)

Back
Top Bottom