• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida city repeals 13-year ban on saggy pants

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From ABC News

OPA-LOCKA, Fla. -- After 13 years, a South Florida city has overturned a ban on “saggy pants” — bottoms that reveal the wearer's underwear.

The Opa-locka City Commission voted Wednesday on a 4-1 vote to repeal both the original 2007 legislation and a 2013 ordinance that said women, not just men, could receive civil citations for wearing pants that exposed their undergarments.

The Miami Herald reports that the vote was a first reading of the repeal, meaning it will need to be approved again at a subsequent commission meeting before it’s official. But the item was co-sponsored by four of the five commissioners.

COMMENT:-

Thank God some government people are finally getting around to dealing with the REALLY serious matters that are threatening the very fabric of American society.

Just an observation: you rarely ever see 'Saggy Pants' working a job.

Yeah, likely not the highest priority thing out there, but it is rather odd that there was a ban on that in the first place.

sort of akin to the fact that work gloves and work boots rarely are taken during stores being looted

sort of akin to the fact that work gloves and work boots rarely are taken during stores being looted

...or businesses typically have dress codes or uniforms that would preclude the donning saggy pants.

Just an observation: you rarely know what 'saggy pants' wears when on the job. I imagine not even multi millionaire lawyers wear 5K suits when out and about shopping or grabbing a fast food burger. For all the wags know saggy pants could be an off duty cop, soldier, paramedic or even a computer know it all... ;)

Just an observation: you rarely know what 'saggy pants' wears when on the job. I imagine not even multi millionaire lawyers wear 5K suits when out and about shopping or grabbing a fast food burger. For all the wags know saggy pants could be an off duty cop, soldier, paramedic or even a computer know it all... ;)

I vote plumber.

Thank God some government people are finally getting around to dealing with the REALLY serious matters that are threatening the very fabric of American society.

Shouldn't your comment be something like, "why the hell does government have the power to ban saggy pants in the first place"?

Shouldn't your comment be something like, "why the hell does government have the power to ban saggy pants in the first place"?

We should have a standard of decency in public, and so the government should be able to make some reasonable limits. I am closer to the "full topless for everyone in public (with private business being able to set their own policy.)" end of the scale.

Saggy pants hasn't ever been an important issue with me. I mean, it's kind of like people who wear a multicolored mohawk. I think it looks stupid, but hey...people have the right to look stupid if they want to.

On the other hand, if I tell them they look stupid...which is MY right to do...we all might end up with some big government pukes declaring that I'm being racist...or something...against people who wear mohawks. (Or saggy pants.)

The answer to "Why the hell does government have the power to ban saggy pants in the first place?" is

Because the voters didn't toss out the useless gits who wasted valuable taxpayer money and resources passing such legislation and elect people who would pay attention to the real issues thus deterring such useless gits (and others like them) from running for office in the future.

PS - My apologies for using a level of sarcasm that went completely over your head without hanging all sorts of "sarcasm flags" on it.

Saggy pants hasn't ever been an important issue with me. I mean, it's kind of like people who wear a multicolored mohawk. I think it looks stupid, but hey...people have the right to look stupid if they want to.

On the other hand, if I tell them they look stupid...which is MY right to do...we all might end up with some big government pukes declaring that I'm being racist...or something...against people who wear mohawks. (Or saggy pants.)

it's soft rscism. It's pretty easy, with Mohawks like you describe those with that are more likely to be white. The ones with the saggy pants are either black or at least someone who takes fashion clues from that community.

Actually, my MIL and I noted the guy who cut the meat behind the counter at Walmart several months ago had saggy pants. He had to come around to the front of the counter to verify which meat she wanted and there were his underwear.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

From ABC News

OPA-LOCKA, Fla. -- After 13 years, a South Florida city has overturned a ban on “saggy pants” — bottoms that reveal the wearer's underwear.

The Opa-locka City Commission voted Wednesday on a 4-1 vote to repeal both the original 2007 legislation and a 2013 ordinance that said women, not just men, could receive civil citations for wearing pants that exposed their undergarments.

The Miami Herald reports that the vote was a first reading of the repeal, meaning it will need to be approved again at a subsequent commission meeting before it’s official. But the item was co-sponsored by four of the five commissioners.

COMMENT:-

I find that style is definitely not for me and, IMO, looks goofy but in no way do I think it should have ever become a matter for legislation.

Last edited:

Not much out there is more silly than playing a victim card off your own hypothetical.

Thread has already derailed before the 20th post... :roll:

Oh is it time for the racism already?

ah the race card backfires-YOU ASSUME that rioters and looters are mainly one race.

So you'd be fine with people going around nude?

Actually, I personally do not care what people wear or do not wear, providing they are properly covered in places where I go to eat.....its a simple hygiene thing.

Actually, my MIL and I noted the guy who cut the meat behind the counter at Walmart several months ago had saggy pants. He had to come around to the front of the counter to verify which meat she wanted and there were his underwear.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I would have walked out without buying anything and then contacted the manager and told him why I didn't purchase $x worth of goods that day.

Back
Top Bottom