• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Boycott Resolution Proposed By Chris Holden, California Assemblymember .....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
A California lawmaker is calling on Golden State residents to think "think twice" before spending time and money in Florida after a jury's acquittal of neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in the killing of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.

Assemblymember Chris Holden (D-Pasadena), along with the California Legislative Black Caucus, announced plans Wednesday for a resolution calling for a boycott of Florida, which Holden said has a Stand Your Ground law that encourages vigilantism.

The calls for a Florida boycott by Holden and the Legislative Black Caucus add to a wave of anger that has grown since Zimmerman's acquittal Saturday. A day after the jury's verdict, singer Stevie Wonder told a crowd he wouldn't perform in Florida or any state with Stand Your Ground gun laws until they were repealed. Martin Luther King III suggested consumers boycott Florida orange juice.

A petition on the progressive site MoveOn.org calls for people to refrain from traveling to Florida until Stand Your Ground is repealed.....snip~

Florida Boycott Resolution Proposed By Chris Holden, California Assemblymember

So the politicians from another state are going to tell people to Boycott Florida. A vacation hot spot.....(also in competition with California over that industry). Do you think this Politician deserves to be re-elected? Shouldn't this individual be about representing the people of California? Why is she off into another states business? Why is the Black Caucus from another state allowed to interfere in another states Rights?

Just what is the Progressive site MoveOn.org.....trying to stir up in this country? Should they be telling people around the country not to go to Florida or States with Stand your Ground Laws?

Re: Florida Boycott Resolution Proposed By Chris Holden, California Assemblymember ..

A California lawmaker is calling on Golden State residents to think "think twice" before spending time and money in Florida after a jury's acquittal of neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in the killing of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.

Assemblymember Chris Holden (D-Pasadena), along with the California Legislative Black Caucus, announced plans Wednesday for a resolution calling for a boycott of Florida, which Holden said has a Stand Your Ground law that encourages vigilantism.

The calls for a Florida boycott by Holden and the Legislative Black Caucus add to a wave of anger that has grown since Zimmerman's acquittal Saturday. A day after the jury's verdict, singer Stevie Wonder told a crowd he wouldn't perform in Florida or any state with Stand Your Ground gun laws until they were repealed. Martin Luther King III suggested consumers boycott Florida orange juice.

A petition on the progressive site MoveOn.org calls for people to refrain from traveling to Florida until Stand Your Ground is repealed.....snip~

So the politicians from another state are going to tell people to Boycott Florida. A vacation hot spot.....(also in competition with California over that industry). Do you think this Politician deserves to be re-elected? Shouldn't this individual be about representing the people of California? Why is she off into another states business? Why is the Black Caucus from another state allowed to interfere in another states Rights?

Just what is the Progressive site MoveOn.org.....trying to stir up in this country? Should they be telling people around the country not to go to Florida or States with Stand your Ground Laws?

Whores have no limits.

Re: Florida Boycott Resolution Proposed By Chris Holden, California Assemblymember ..

Whores have no limits.

But they do have standards, unlike some politicians!

Whores have no limits.

Hiya Maggie. :2wave:....:shock:.....Yes I got that one.
book1.gif
But what about Lindsey Lohan? :lol:

Still.....they say MoveOn has about 10k in signatures. Which you know that will increase once Sharptones gets to make a mockery out of it all this weekend. Course we have Jesse Jackson running to the UN HRC. Not even finishing any process he is trying to get thru government. Then Holder talking about States with Stand your ground Gun Laws. So we know they will look to push their Gun Control Agenda again and again.

But to now play on Race.....isn't Right. Nor should it be accepted.

After hearing some of what she said on the Radio. It was clear she knew nothing about the case. Other than the verdict.

Which not one reporter asked her.....why she wasn't doing her job and serving the people of California. See I would put her ass on the defensive Right there.....Like Johnny Quest on the Spot. ;)

Hiya Maggie. :2wave:....:shock:.....Yes I got that one.
book1.gif
But what about Lindsey Lohan? :lol:

Still.....they say MoveOn has about 10k in signatures. Which you know that will increase once Sharptones gets to make a mockery out of it all this weekend. Course we have Jesse Jackson running to the UN HRC. Not even finishing any process he is trying to get thru government. Then Holder talking about States with Stand your ground Gun Laws. So we know they will look to push their Gun Control Agenda again and again.

But to now play on Race.....isn't Right. Nor should it be accepted.

After hearing some of what she said on the Radio. It was clear she knew nothing about the case. Other than the verdict.

Which not one reporter asked her.....why she wasn't doing her job and serving the people of California. See I would put her ass on the defensive Right there.....Like Johnny Quest on the Spot. ;)

Most people don't know anything about the case. IMO, SYG laws had absolutely nothing to do with the not guilty verdict. But it's a rallying point, so . . .

As for boycotting Florida? People don't do that. They just don't. Florida is a tourist destination and people aren't going to change vacation plans to avoid the state. If you've ever been to Florida, I think you'll find that it's not a popular tourist destination for blacks anyway. A buncha' huffin' and puffin'.

Most people don't know anything about the case. IMO, SYG laws had absolutely nothing to do with the not guilty verdict. But it's a rallying point, so . . .
more than a bit of irony to that one considering all 50 states have a self defense provision - the one zimmerman successfully used to become exonerated

As for boycotting Florida? People don't do that. They just don't. Florida is a tourist destination and people aren't going to change vacation plans to avoid the state. If you've ever been to Florida, I think you'll find that it's not a popular tourist destination for blacks anyway. A buncha' huffin' and puffin'.
the boycott of south carolina over the flying of the confederate flag has adversely affected that state's tourism. the bordering states have benefited at south carolina's expense

Yeah, hearing her on the radio and talking about business shouldn't be done with Florida isn't going to work either. Money talks.....BS walks. Guess MoveOn isn't to worried about their perception.....huh?

the boycott of south carolina over the flying of the confederate flag has adversely affected that state's tourism. the bordering states have benefited at south carolina's expense

I doubt it. I'd need to see a credible link. The government reported, in room tax alone, $44 million in 2011 and $51 million in 2012. Not a bad increase considering the economy. An Historical Perspective of Tourism Development and Trends in South Carolina

I have been hearing a lot about boycotts of Florida, and it puts a smile on my face that I just spent a good chunk of money there recently when we spent 3 nights at Fernandina Beach and 4 nights at St. Augustine Beach, Florida. We were actually there when the not guilty verdict happened. I look forward to our next trip to Florida too. And by the way, I also had a concealed weapon on me when we were driving or shopping (not on the beach though).

I doubt it. I'd need to see a credible link. The government reported, in room tax alone, $44 million in 2011 and $51 million in 2012. Not a bad increase considering the economy. An Historical Perspective of Tourism Development and Trends in South Carolina

i live in a major city on the states' border
our community has seen events come here because they refused to conduct them in south carolina
other than the demo national convention (and some would include that one), these events are those with a focus on the black community
so, while south carolina may still see its lodging income increase, that increase is diminished by the amount the black community is spending in my state, georgia and tennessee
and for that reason, may south carolina continue to fly the stars and bars. it is making my berg much more prosperous. again, at south carolina's expense

our community has seen events come here because they refused to conduct them in south carolina
other than the demo national convention (and some would include that one), these events are those with a focus on the black community
so, while south carolina may still see its lodging income increase, that increase is diminished by the amount the black community is spending in my state, georgia and tennessee
and for that reason, may south carolina continue to fly the stars and bars. it is making my berg much more prosperous. again, at south carolina's expense

Perhaps. I can't argue with your subjective view. But the statistics don't reflect it. A $7 million increase in room tax alone from 2011 to 2012 is a healthy increase -- over 10%. In this economy? That's terrific.

Dude any notion of a call for a boycott as having any credible chance is absurd. I'm about as conservative as they come, but I still go to California from time to time - living in NY, which is second only to CA when it comes to liberal bastions.

Tim-

We have Universal, Disney and the Key's. No one will be boycotting Florida. Crime has been going down even faster with SYG laws in effect. You can't argue with success.

Dude any notion of a call for a boycott as having any credible chance is absurd. I'm about as conservative as they come, but I still go to California from time to time - living in NY, which is second only to CA when it comes to liberal bastions.

Tim-

Yea I still go to CA, lived there for 3 years back in the day. I like CA, with all it's liberal nonsense. I will never live there again, but I still like to visit.

Tim-

Heya Hicup.....Don't forget their Junkyard dogs. Chicago Illinois. :lol:

Hard to imagine how boycotting Florida (whatever that means) will reverse a court decision as though it had anything to do with orange growers and beach front resorts. It looks like the Federal government is already working on punishing Zimmerman anyway. Pretty bad when you get acquitted of a crime in court and then have to go through it all again. Messed up country.

I would never go to florida again, but it has nothing to do with their gun laws or this trial. When I go to florida it is not for a vacation, it is to see family or friends. Why so many of them have gone to that hell hole I do not know. Florida is nice when you are vacationing and can avoid the walking dead, but when you actually have to interract with the elderly in supermarkets and places like that it is horrible. If zimmerman had gotten pissed and just started shooting the elderly in florida i would be his biggest fan. Then there is the driving. People joke, but there is a legitimate reason florida sucks for driving. They used to not confirm suspensions and revocations with other states, so if you lost your license you could get a florida license. This is why all the massholes, connidiots, jersey jerkoffs, and homicidal NYers who lost their licenses in their own states go down there. Seriously, with all the old people who cannot drive zimmerman probably saved treyvon from a long drawn out death being stuck under a lexus for hours because some walking corpse accidentally confused the accelerator with the brakes. I would never let my kids walk on the side of the road in florida.

I am going to quit now, just know never to live in florida. It is a horrible place of evil. Oh, and if you are ever sucked into that place avoid the Post Office like the plague. It is like Disney world filled with crack for the elderly. You think i am joking but some of those Post offices actually have signs telling the elderly not to park in the lobby.

Oh, and yeah the idea of boycotting florida by california is really stupid.

I think its freaking rediculous that Holder is trying to go after Zimmerman for "civil rights violations". To include this....I don't think there's an appropriate word for it. People need to get a freaking grip.

I think its freaking rediculous that Holder is trying to go after Zimmerman for "civil rights violations". To include this....I don't think there's an appropriate word for it. People need to get a freaking grip.

It is called pretending to do something, and it is the cornerstone of american politics. They cannot actually do anything, but they pretend they are looking into it to make people feel like they are paying attention. It is sort of like how republicans keep trying to revoke obamacare. I would love to say this is just american politics, but pretty much at most places where people work it is much better to look busy than to actually do something. Holder will not make the same mistake as the florida prosecutor. By not prosecuting he will avoid the perception of havijng done so and failed. Where if he pretends like he is working hard and nothing comes of it people will credit him for effort. Yes, it is complete and total BS, but that is the world.

I have been hearing a lot about boycotts of Florida, and it puts a smile on my face that I just spent a good chunk of money there recently when we spent 3 nights at Fernandina Beach and 4 nights at St. Augustine Beach, Florida. We were actually there when the not guilty verdict happened. I look forward to our next trip to Florida too. And by the way, I also had a concealed weapon on me when we were driving or shopping (not on the beach though).

I didn't see you wave when you drove by. Did you forget??

I would never go to florida again, but it has nothing to do with their gun laws or this trial. When I go to florida it is not for a vacation, it is to see family or friends. Why so many of them have gone to that hell hole I do not know. Florida is nice when you are vacationing and can avoid the walking dead, but when you actually have to interract with the elderly in supermarkets and places like that it is horrible. If zimmerman had gotten pissed and just started shooting the elderly in florida i would be his biggest fan. Then there is the driving. People joke, but there is a legitimate reason florida sucks for driving. They used to not confirm suspensions and revocations with other states, so if you lost your license you could get a florida license. This is why all the massholes, connidiots, jersey jerkoffs, and homicidal NYers who lost their licenses in their own states go down there. Seriously, with all the old people who cannot drive zimmerman probably saved treyvon from a long drawn out death being stuck under a lexus for hours because some walking corpse accidentally confused the accelerator with the brakes. I would never let my kids walk on the side of the road in florida.

I am going to quit now, just know never to live in florida. It is a horrible place of evil. Oh, and if you are ever sucked into that place avoid the Post Office like the plague. It is like Disney world filled with crack for the elderly. You think i am joking but some of those Post offices actually have signs telling the elderly not to park in the lobby.

Oh, and yeah the idea of boycotting florida by california is really stupid.

Pretty much spot on. I loathe Florida, and avoid it whenever possible. We are about halfway between Jacksonville and Savannah, and we usually try to go to Savannah whenever possible.

more than a bit of irony to that one considering all 50 states have a self defense provision - the one zimmerman successfully used to become exonerated

Indeed, it makes one wonder what Charles Mackay would make of all of this

Pretty much spot on. I loathe Florida, and avoid it whenever possible. We are about halfway between Jacksonville and Savannah, and we usually try to go to Savannah whenever possible.

I find the carolinas are what florida is supposed to be. They have a good combination of different types of people, they focus on how to actually develop areas well, lots of the people share the southern hospitality and responsibility along with the northeast acceptance of different types of people. The retirees are pleasant and enjoying what they can. There is farms and rural areas. There are cities and suburbs. The weather pattern is beautiful around there. Savannah would be right in that general area, and it is a pretty good place from what i have seen of it. I think that area of the country is probably one of the areas that combines the best of america. It is not like florida where all the greedy and selfish go. you have some social liberalism, while maintaining personal responsibility which comes from the conservative values of the area. You have people of all different areas mingling very well. It is america's sweet spot, and I think it has something for everyone. There are some conflicts and problems, but the people in that area are going to sort them out.

Can you tell i am enamored with the area?

I would say the coastal areas more than anything. South Carolina is pretty effed up in some ways, not very "blue" friendly, but Charleston is an exception. Old, genteel, beautiful. Same as Savannah. Old money, and pretty conservative, but socially very liberal. Savannah is very gay friendly. North Carolina is more the sweet spot, in my opinion. Perfect climate, positive job growth, friendly people, low taxes. Now that you've mentioned it, I do think you are right that maybe North Carolina is what Florida yearned to be but the wealthy elderly mucked it up.

I looked into moving to Asheville once. Sometimes, I wish I had. Very artsy, and very seasonal.

Bullshat...
Judge Debra Nelson words to the jury:
If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Juror B-37,
"Stand Your Ground was key to reaching their verdict." neither second-degree murder nor manslaughter applied in Zimmerman's case "because of the heat of the moment and the 'stand your ground.' He had a right to defend himself. If he felt threatened that his life was going to be taken away from him or he was going to have bodily harm, he had a right."
Let's at least get the basic facts right in this case. "Stand Your Ground" did play a huge role.

Back
Top Bottom