• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida atheist petitions to ban the Bible in schools: "If they're gonna ban books…apply their own standards to themselves and ban the Bible" |

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Florida atheist petitions to ban the Bible in schools: "If they're gonna ban books…apply their own standards to themselves and ban the Bible" | He cites age inappropriateness; social-emotional learning; and mentions of bestiality, rape, and slavery. Each reason is accompanied by a Bible excerpt.

Florida atheist petitions to ban the Bible in schools: "If they're gonna ban books…apply their own standards to themselves and ban the Bible" | He cites age inappropriateness; social-emotional learning; and mentions of bestiality, rape, and slavery. Each reason is accompanied by a Bible excerpt.

Where is the Bible in public schools?

In libraries all across the nation.
Correct and it is allowed per SCOTUS and is probably the most challenged book ever

I doubt the atheists will win this argument as precedence has already been set

The bible is full of instances of violence, genocide, rape, incest, etc.
The atheist certainly have a case.

Hilarious and people wonder why I find it all to be bullshit? Who was there to witness the lovely boobs giving wine to daddy and ****ing him? Right, nobody, that's why they danced around the town square rejoicing announcing to everyone daddy got us pregnant.

Correct and it is allowed per SCOTUS and is probably the most challenged book ever

I doubt the atheists will win this argument as precedence has already been set

Trump shit all over precedence or didn't you notice? Did he ever show his tax returns like the how many presidents before him?

“Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more derogatory..., more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity. Too absurd for belief, too impossible to convince, and too inconsistent for practice, it renders the heart torpid or produces only atheists or fanatics. As an engine of power, it serves the purpose of despotism, and as a means of wealth, the avarice of priests, but so far as respects the good of man in general it leads to nothing here or hereafter.

As to the book called the bible, it is blasphemy to call it the Word of God. It is a book of lies and contradictions and a history of bad times and bad men."
― Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794

I'd much rather a teacher talk to my kid about sex than about Christianity.

Various books have been banned in various school districts over the years: Of Mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter, and the list goes on. Of course, such bans have also been overturned over the years too and books like the aforementioned are literary classics. That said, the bible cannot be banned either. The key difference is, the bible (or any religious text) cannot be taught in class as it would be in a church. Much like prayer cannot be mandated by a public school. At most, it can be "taught" as part of a mythology class. Students themselves are free to bring a bible with them. They simply cannot expect the school to teach or preach it.

The bible is full of instances of violence, genocide, rape, incest, etc.
To be fair, do do many Shakespeare stories.
The atheist certainly have a case.
I don't think so. Not unless they can show the school actively preaching or teaching the bible.

I'm trying to figure out your new avatar....
It's a damselfly peaking out from behind a flower stalk...ain't she cute?

To be fair, do do many Shakespeare stories.

I don't think so. Not unless they can show the school actively preaching or teaching the bible.
So a school would bring the bible into the classroom and not 'teach' it?
Sounds like far right conservative double talk.

So a school would bring the bible into the classroom and not 'teach' it?
No, the student can. The school cannot teach or promote a religion.
Sounds like far right conservative double talk.
It is neither conservative or liberal. It's simple fact. If the school does not teach or promote religion, then there is no issue. The atheists are going to have to make the case that is what is actually occurring. "Inappropriate content" can be subjective. The aforementioned classic literature I mentioned was once deemed "inappropriate" in some schools. But that is no longer the case. In fact, they can be required reading in some schools. What is considered "inappropriate" will have to be specifically defined. But doing so also opens up the possibility of banning other already accepted books, like my Shakespeare example.

No, the student can. The school cannot teach or promote a religion.

It is neither conservative or liberal. It's simple fact. If the school does not teach or promote religion, then there is no issue. The atheists are going to have to make the case that is what is actually occurring. "Inappropriate content" can be subjective. The aforementioned classic literature I mentioned was once deemed "inappropriate" in some schools. But that is no longer the case. In fact, they can be required reading in some schools. What is considered "inappropriate" will have to be specifically defined. But doing so also opens up the possibility of banning other already accepted books, like my Shakespeare example.
Shakespeare is not a religious book.
Nor are the various childrens books the state of Florida is trying to ban for public schools.
If the pubic schools in Florida are going to bring the bible into the public schools then there is a definite legal issue.

Where is the Bible in public schools?

The purpose of the petition is to call attention to encroachment, present and/or future.

If people searched for references to the bible or characters or quotes or stories or prayers in the same manner that Florida has gone apeshit over math books, among other books, I have little doubt they would find texts and more that could be banned.

My interpretation of the Broward County atheist, Chaz Stevens', petition is that he is drawing a line in the sand. Stevens, in my opinion, is saying enough is enough. His petition is a shot across the Florida Legislative bow.

Shakespeare is not a religious book.
Nor are the various childrens books the state of Florida is trying to ban for public schools.
If the pubic schools in Florida are going to bring the bible into the public schools then there is a definite legal issue.
The issue is about banning the bible due to "inappropriate content." I made the comparison with Shakespeare because Shakespeare also has what can be considered inappropriate. A legal issue arises if a public school attempts to promote the bible or religion. A student can still bring in a bible however.

The purpose of the petition is to call attention to encroachment, present and/or future.

If people searched for references to the bible or characters or quotes or stories or prayers in the same manner that Florida has gone apeshit over math books, among other books, I have little doubt they would find texts and more that could be banned.

My interpretation of the Broward County atheist, Chaz Stevens', petition is that he is drawing a line in the sand. Stevens, in my opinion, is saying enough is enough. His petition is a shot across the Florida Legislative bow.

No one's rights are being encroached upon.

Back
Top Bottom