• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida’s vile ‘groomer’ law may soon blow up in DeSantis’s face

Why are American "conservatives" so unwilling to accept that there are people who don't believe the same stuff they believe? Why do they attack those others by making stupid statements about stuff that nobody is pushing for?

Because to them, that might as well be in a different universe. Some kids grow up gay? Some people don't believe in a god? The horror...of reality!

One of the many things that I don't like about this is is how difficult it could make things for teachers. They'll be dealing with pissed off parents from both sides trying to test this stupid Republican law. Of course, the Republican attitude towards teachers that I have seen mostly varies between strained tolerance and outright contempt, so I doubt that those who wrote the law thought that out much.

One of the many things that I don't like about this is is how difficult it could make things for teachers. They'll be dealing with pissed off parents from both sides trying to test this stupid Republican law. Of course, the Republican attitude towards teachers that I have seen mostly varies between strained tolerance and outright contempt, so I doubt that those who wrote the law thought that out much.

That's a feature, not a bug. Righties want to make public school teaching as difficult as possible.

An article from The New Republic, Sept 2021

Republicans Don’t Want to Reform Public Education. They Want to End It.
This May, in a speech at Michigan’s deeply conservative Hillsdale College, Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran sketched out a few principles for Republicans to follow. Conservatives, he said, should no longer consider the primary purpose of school to be training students for employment; instead, they should see it as instilling moral values. When it comes to America’s bitterest ideological fights, “the war will be won in education.” And finally, while Republican education policies had played a vital role in advancing “school choice,” the next step was to get so many families to flee public schools that no future administration would be able to undo the damage.

On one hand, the speech was red meat for a red meat crowd: a politician who made his name attacking teachers’ unions speaking at a school partly funded by former education secretary—and public education foe—Betsy DeVos. But Corcoran’s remarks are also something of a key to making sense of Florida’s tumultuous start to the school year and what it means for the fate of public education in the rest of the country.

Some of the readers may remember a fellow by the name of Rick Santorum, a guy who had dreams of being President despite a total inability to understand the real world. Anyway, an article from 2012

Rick Santorum Calls For End Of Public Education, Says Parents Should Home School Their Kids

Yeah, we shouldn't have a citizenry with some knowledge of the real world - much easier for the oligarchs to control stuff when they got a bunch of ignorant serfs willing to accept whatever the bosses tell them.

So we should capitulate to righties, who want to indoctrinate our students?

Yes, it is. Just like it's OK for some kids to develop feelings toward the same gender. Neither are bad.
No need to capitulate to anyone. Just realize you are on the wrong side of the political divide.
I was about to post a tasteless comment about the picture you are presenting, but it was too harsh for a pleasant weekend.

Regarding your last comment, I grew up in locker rooms all through grade school and high school. And the boys who might exhibit the least homosexual affection toward those of the same gender would be scarred for life by the reactions of the other boys.
Harsh, isn't it?
And it goes on today in locker rooms and military barracks around the world - except maybe in Greece.

Why are American "conservatives" so unwilling to accept that there are people who don't believe the same stuff they believe? Why do they attack those others by making stupid statements about stuff that nobody is pushing for?
WOW. Accusing Conservatives of saying 'stupid stuff'.
Never heard that before.
Tell that to all of the people who favor the law that DeSantis just made official.

Thanks. I would hate to think back on that time and doubt my own gender orientation.
Why would you doubt it?

You had no choice in it.

Just like everyone else, you were attracted to who you were attracted to.

No need to capitulate to anyone. Just realize you are on the wrong side of the political divide.

Righties want to indoctrinate our children into one-husband-one-wife propaganda. Anything outside this is anathema to them.

I was about to post a tasteless comment about the picture you are presenting, but it was too harsh for a pleasant weekend.

You achieved the bare minimum of civility! Would you like a cookie? 😁

Regarding your last comment, I grew up in locker rooms all through grade school and high school. And the boys who might exhibit the least homosexual affection toward those of the same gender would be scarred for life by the reactions of the other boys.
Harsh, isn't it?
And it goes on today in locker rooms and military barracks around the world - except maybe in Greece.

Uh, okay? That doesn't address the natural feelings that young people get as they grow older.

WOW. Accusing Conservatives of saying 'stupid stuff'.
Never heard that before.
Tell that to all of the people who favor the law that DeSantis just made official.

Really? You have never heard a conservative say 'stupid stuff'? And all the people who don't favor the "Don't Say Gay" - what should we say to them?

^ A demand for censorship. Or worse.

Bullshit. They're little kids that don't belong to you.

Leave them alone and keep your sex opinions to yourself.

It's incredible how arrogant and possessive these liberals want to be with small children that aren't theirs.

It's incredible how arrogant and possessive these liberals want to be with small children that aren't theirs.

^ Unhinged post. There is no more harm in a child's learning about gay relationships than there is in their learning about straight relationships. None.

To suggest anything else is homophobia.

^ Unhinged post. There is no more harm in a child's learning about gay relationships than there is in their learning about straight relationships. None.

To suggest anything else is homophobia.

You don't decide what my 5-year-old learns. This is why millions are abandoning your stupid woke party.

Go ahead and double down while Democrats lose seats and WH - I can't wait. Neither can the American people.

You and your team of dummies is going to learn who supports what in the election. Enjoy the life lesson.

You don't decide what my 5-year-old learns. This is why millions are abandoning your stupid woke party.

Go ahead and double down while Democrats lose seats and WH - I can't wait. Neither can the American people.

You and your team of dummies is going to learn who supports what in the election. Enjoy the life lesson.

Child abusers also believe in absolute authority for parents. Stop parroting them.

Where are you getting the weird notion that it is about sex?

Oh please. you people, I swear.
So you won't answer?

It's an honest question. You all keep talking about it as if teachers were teaching k-3 graders about sex, positions techniques etc. Of course no one was doing that.

Teachers were not teaching "sex".

Where do you all get that?

So you won't answer?
Of course not.
It's an honest question.
No, it's not.

It's all bait with your team so you can scream "Bigot!" into the microphone.

The goal posts are more fluid than quicksand on this topic. Teachers DO NOT need to discuss their spousal, partner, relationship experiences with children. The answer teachers should be giving to any form of sex, gender, or personal question from a student is as follows:

1) That's a good question, Student. I'm proud of you!
2) I'm going to give you a Gold Star for asking an important question that you'd like to discuss with your parents!
3) Here's your "Advanced Discussion Award" to take home where your family can discuss.
4) Your folks will be so proud of you for asking this question at home!

There's NO NEED for teachers to get involved in this.

Of course not.

No, it's not.

It's all bait with your team so you can scream "Bigot!" into the microphone.

The goal posts are more fluid than quicksand on this topic. Teachers DO NOT need to discuss their spousal, partner, relationship experiences with children. The answer teachers should be giving to any form of sex, gender, or personal question from a student is as follows:

2) I'm going to give you a Gold Star for asking an important question that you'd like to discuss with your parents!
3) Here's your "Advanced Discussion Award" to take home where your family can discuss.

Get involved in what?

What is it you think teachers are doing?

Teachers have pictures of their husbands, wives, kids dogs. Etc. On their desks.

Are you saying all those must be removed?

Or only the pictures of a teachers spouse if the spouse is the same gender as the teacher?

I had a teacher once who's husband worked for a company that contracted with NASA, she used to tell us about him and his work. It was interesting.

Are you saying she shouldn't have done that?

Or only teachers whose spouses are the same gender shouldn't talk about them?

Are you saying that kids cannot talk about their families in class anymore?

Or just a kid who has two mommies or two daddies can't talk about her family, but everyone else can talk about theirs?

I really dont understand what you think was happening and what you think needs to stop.

Can you explain.

And all the people who don't favor the "Don't Say Gay" - what should we say to them?
Just tell them they are wrong and going against the political grain - as expected.
People are often wrong when they stick with a losing cause. Just look at the Southerners who never wanted to forget they were for "the Lost Cause".
Sort of like believing that AOC and her "Squad" are on the correct side of their beliefs.
Sort of like believing Chuckie Schumer when he says we need to raise taxes in order to improve the economy.
Sort of like believing Biden when he says we need to erase student debt in order to make young, educated people feel better about their futures.

We are a Right of Center nation and that is why the Progressives and the hopeless Democrats will not be in charge of Congress after November. They simply cannot see how they are trying to drag society in the wrong direction.

You achieved the bare minimum of civility! Would you like a cookie?
I usually get a gold star for doing something good in the house.

That doesn't address the natural feelings that young people get as they grow older.
I have no problem when kids get older (as adolescents and teenagers) and have discussions about sexuality in schools.
Kids K-3 need to be left alone and listen to parents talk to them about "birds and the bees" and whether they feel uncomfortable about their sexuality.

Why would you doubt it?

You had no choice in it.

Just like everyone else, you were attracted to who you were attracted to.
Thanks. Now I feel better about the gender choices I made.
As a matter of fact, going from a Catholic high school to a public high school on Long Island, I was somewhat overwhelmed suddenly being in a school where young girls were wearing tight skirts and tight sweaters. I had to learn how to behave as a raging hormonal teenager.

Back
Top Bottom