• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Flocking Tourists!

Manc Skipper

Wrinkly member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Yes, I live in a seaside holiday town, but Easter weekend is particularly irritating for some reason. They jam up the roads and overspill the car parks into the streets, and make the town centre a no go area! What's worse the weather is nice too, so there's even more grockles than usual!

Yes, I live in a seaside holiday town, but Easter weekend is particularly irritating for some reason. They jam up the roads and overspill the car parks into the streets, and make the town centre a no go area! What's worse the weather is nice too, so there's even more grockles than usual!

Yeah, all that tourist money pouring in, keeping some people and businesses going in the off season, horrible.

Would you rather be a poor ghost town?

Yes, I was going to say that it sounds like a mixed blessing.

It kind of reminds me of that story Raquel Welch tells about acting in a movie with Jimmy Stewart. Raquel wasn't used to being a "star" and it annoyed her that the studio was allowing a small crowd of passersby to watch them film a scene outdoors. Between takes, Raquel said to Jimmy, "Those people there make me nervous. I wish they'd go away." Jimmy replied, "But, Raquel, those are the people who buy the tickets." He then walked over to the people and greeted them warmly. Raquel said it one one of the best lessons she'd ever learned.

I understand what you're saying. Frankly the tourists are a royal pain. People say: Oh! They bring in money! They stay at the hotels! They buy things at the
Souvenir shops! NO..they clog up the roads and highways..they shop at Walmart....They go to McDonalds and other corporate eating places..They stay
at corporate Hotels and corporate motels. The actual money they bring doesn't help the people who live here for shit. They leave their trash all over the place
..on the roads, sidewalks, beaches and even on people's yards who happen to live at the beach. A large majority of the people here do not enjoy their presence.
BUT, we are very cordial, nice and will help them when they need help. Again..the monies they actually help the people here ain't shit. Almost all the dough
gets sent to corporate headquarters. THAT'S what the tourist season, here in Sarasota means.
Would we stop them from coming if we could? No. They are our fellow humans and we just have to put up with it.

I understand what you're saying. Frankly the tourists are a royal pain. People say: Oh! They bring in money! They stay at the hotels! They buy things at the
Souvenir shops! NO..they clog up the roads and highways..they shop at Walmart....They go to McDonalds and other corporate eating places..They stay
at corporate Hotels and corporate motels. The actual money they bring doesn't help the people who live here for shit. They leave their trash all over the place
..on the roads, sidewalks, beaches and even on people's yards who happen to live at the beach. A large majority of the people here do not enjoy their presence.
BUT, we are very cordial, nice and will help them when they need help. Again..the monies they actually help the people here ain't shit. Almost all the dough
gets sent to corporate headquarters. THAT'S what the tourist season, here in Sarasota means.
Would we stop them from coming if we could? No. They are our fellow humans and we just have to put up with it.

I see your point, HIP. I guess the "bright side" would be that those big businesses hire local people, and they might not hire as many if it weren't for the tourists. But you would know more about that than I do.

I lived on a popular beach in the SF Bay. 3 miles to work and I worked weekends. One day it took well over an hour to get home. At other times my driveway was blocked by tourists.

It's kind of funny, but this sounds like the reasons the French give for why they don't like American tourists. :)

I see your point, HIP. I guess the "bright side" would be that those big businesses hire local people, and they might not hire as many if it weren't for the tourists. But you would know more about that than I do.
Sure. I've thought of that also. The truth is (at least for here), the workers hired are pretty much here all year round. The ones I've talked to, say that "I like the tourists..
..but frankly, I just have to work that much harder to keep up with the pace...I get the same salary year round" :)

I just looked at the pictures from your link. All I can say is - you poor thing. I hope you survive that beautiful place

It gets that way in the seaside towns south of me in Mexico, El Golfo and Puerto Penasco. Mostly Mexican families returning for Easter holiday, but damn, it gets crowded.

We just had so many tourists for spring training baseball, and they can be pretty obnoxious, I stay out of downtown Scottsdale during the season.

I live in Chicago, just at the North end of Michigan Ave, and in the summer, the tourists are so thick I have to plan my route thru downtown by only taking left turns, because it takes forever to make a right because of all the pedestrians.

But they sure bring in the revenue for restaurants, so I enjoy some of the best food in the country thanks to tourists from around the world. You just can’t get a reservation on summer weekend evenings, or weekend mornings at my favorite breakfast places.

The last two years have been very different, and even though last year tourism was mostly back, I noticed that, unlike before the pandemic, I didn’t hear a dozen different languages as I walked down Michigan Ave to the river. International tourism was nonexistent. We’ll see what this summer brings.

We just had so many tourists for spring training baseball, and they can be pretty obnoxious, I stay out of downtown Scottsdale during the season.
My favorite time to be in old town Scottsdale is during Spring Training!

Yes, I was going to say that it sounds like a mixed blessing.

It kind of reminds me of that story Raquel Welch tells about acting in a movie with Jimmy Stewart. Raquel wasn't used to being a "star" and it annoyed her that the studio was allowing a small crowd of passersby to watch them film a scene outdoors. Between takes, Raquel said to Jimmy, "Those people there make me nervous. I wish they'd go away." Jimmy replied, "But, Raquel, those are the people who buy the tickets." He then walked over to the people and greeted them warmly. Raquel said it one one of the best lessons she'd ever learned.
I just finished a biography on Stewart. He was a fine man.

@Manc Skipper cheer up, looks like the football club will get promoted to BPL!

I'd be bloody amazed if anyone bothered to visit my home town on holiday.
Seriously, we've got bugger all worth looking at and sod all in the entertainment department.

I just finished a biography on Stewart. He was a fine man.

@Manc Skipper cheer up, looks like the football club will get promoted to BPL!

I enjoy reading about old Hollywood, and I have yet to hear anything negative about him. He had "a wonderful life," for sure. :)

So today we escaped the hordes and went inland, bimbling gently around the New Forest (which ironically is neither new nor a forest, as it was set aside as a hunting ground for knights on horseback to chase deer by William the Conqueror around 1080, so it's mainly open heathland with clumps of trees here and there) We only encountered one traffic jam, and filtered that, so it was a pleasant quiet ride until we pulled over at Bolderwood for the woodland experience and could barely squeeze two bikes into the mobbed car park!
No birdsong, it was drowned out by shouting kids and crying babies. We did see a robin, which was nice.

My country home is in an idyllic town about 45 miles north of NYC. We are flooded with tourists all spring and fall.
I know how annoying it is.

My country home is in an idyllic town about 45 miles north of NYC. We are flooded with tourists all spring and fall.
I know how annoying it is.
First line sounds as though there should be a title before your name, Sir, Count, Duke, Baron or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom