• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Flight Simulator 2020

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
One month left.

giphy.gif

One month left.

giphy.gif

I didn’t think Flight Sim was still a thing. I have editions from many years ago. I even got the rudder pedals and the yoke add-one. I switched to IOS a long time ago. Is there something similar for IOS?

Ten years or so I went for lessons. I got to solo twice and realized that with my personality, I would be looking to buy an airplane next. The first solo was at my local field and consisted of three t/o-landings; I remember the second time that I took off after a successful landing and thinking, “ what the hell are you doing, you were on the ground and safe!”

I didn’t think Flight Sim was still a thing. I have editions from many years ago. I even got the rudder pedals and the yoke add-one. I switched to IOS a long time ago. Is there something similar for IOS?

Ten years or so I went for lessons. I got to solo twice and realized that with my personality, I would be looking to buy an airplane next. The first solo was at my local field and consisted of three t/o-landings; I remember the second time that I took off after a successful landing and thinking, “ what the hell are you doing, you were on the ground and safe!”

Now look, I’m not here to shill for Microsoft.

But from what I understand, this game can utilizes all Bing map data and even real world weather patterns in real time and places it into this game.

You can take off from 37,000 airports and a lot of the globe is supposedly rendered in 3D photo-realism using all of Bings mapping data.

As far as I’ve heard from those who’ve been in the closed testing, bearing in mind they could be biased, this could very well be the most comprehensive and amazingly fleshed out flight simulator ever, bar none.

Multiplayer will be there, not yet sure on plane selection and whether there’ll be paid DLC but I expect it’ll have a decent selection on launch, hopefully everything we’ve seen in the trailers will be freely available, can’t wait to fly a 747 over my house :p

Anyway, I cannot wait, it just looks mind blowing.

Now look, I’m not here to shill for Microsoft.

But from what I understand, this game can utilizes all Bing map data and even real world weather patterns in real time and places it into this game.

You can take off from 37,000 airports and a lot of the globe is supposedly rendered in 3D photo-realism using all of Bings mapping data.

As far as I’ve heard from those who’ve been in the closed testing, bearing in mind they could be biased, this could very well be the most comprehensive and amazingly fleshed out flight simulator ever, bar none.

Multiplayer will be there, not yet sure on plane selection and whether there’ll be paid DLC but I expect it’ll have a decent selection on launch, hopefully everything we’ve seen in the trailers will be freely available, can’t wait to fly a 747 over my house :p

Anyway, I cannot wait, it just looks mind blowing.

I did get to fly a 172 Cessna over my house!

One month left.

giphy.gif

YES.....

I gotta upgrade my graphics card, I have a 1060, not bad, but I like to sim with all the bells and whistles.

Time to dig out my yoke and throttle set.

I used to get calls from friends who were actual airline pilots, asking how to do stuff in FS...crazy.

oh ****, that looks sweet.

FSX was mostly just a reskin of FS2004. I'll be assuming this one will be just a reskin of FSX until I see otherwise. I'll be especially disappointed if they once again don't bother with any kind of landing judge. I can't count how many times I had what seemed like a "perfect" landing but no way to prove it. Meanwhile, way back in 1999, War Birds would judge your landing based on ground speed and vertical speed to give you a landing grade on a 10-point scale. Typical M$ to overlook something so obvious for so long.

FSX was mostly just a reskin of FS2004. I'll be assuming this one will be just a reskin of FSX until I see otherwise. I'll be especially disappointed if they once again don't bother with any kind of landing judge. I can't count how many times I had what seemed like a "perfect" landing but no way to prove it. Meanwhile, way back in 1999, War Birds would judge your landing based on ground speed and vertical speed to give you a landing grade on a 10-point scale. Typical M$ to overlook something so obvious for so long.

This isn't a reskin, this is made to utilize every bell and whistle graphically, and in 4K if you got the hardware.

The physical release will be 10 discs. 10...

I’ve heard initial download will be 150gb and there’s no way it’ll stop there as they bug fix and add content I’m sure.

This is actually low key probably one of the most ambitious undertakings in gaming history, I really hope I don’t have to eat those words but this is really looking to be something glorious.

This isn't a reskin, this is made to utilize every bell and whistle graphically, and in 4K if you got the hardware.
A graphics update is just a reskin. The in-game lessons will be identical. The missions will be identical. The game modes will be identical. ATC will be identical. The core of the game will be identical, except prettier graphics. Big deal. Same as the difference between FS2004 and FSX. I'm not getting fooled by that again.

A graphics update is just a reskin. The in-game lessons will be identical. The missions will be identical. The game modes will be identical. ATC will be identical. The core of the game will be identical, except prettier graphics. Big deal. Same as the difference between FS2004 and FSX. I'm not getting fooled by that again.

Nope, everything I've read is that this has been a clean slate not an update.

I think the key difference is the flight model. You ever fly a flight sim that had turbulence?

Nope, everything I've read is that this has been a clean slate not an update.
I'm reading the same but interpreting it differently:

It’s the first Microsoft Flight Simulator title to be a fresh release since the 2014 release of Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, itself a re-release of the 2006 Flight Simulator X. (snip) Expect similar gameplay to previous titles in the series (snip) So far there’s a lot of talk about new technology, particularly AI grunt from Azure and the aforementioned satellite imagery, but there’s no talk about what this will actually do.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020: Everything we know so far | Trusted Reviews

If FS2004 to FXS was the same kind of "fresh release" this will be then I'm still not too excited. :(

I think the key difference is the flight model. You ever fly a flight sim that had turbulence?
In FS2004 I flew a 172 from Edwards to Inyokern with 50 mph gusts. I crab landed safely at 45 degrees but it was torture the whole way. Does that count?

In FS2004 I flew a 172 from Edwards to Inyokern with 50 mph gusts. I crab landed safely at 45 degrees but it was torture the whole way. Does that count?

*L* Counts for me... but just think how interesting it'd be if that weather system was moving itself.

Flight sims have come a long way

Takes me back to my 1st solo in a Cessna 152. Nothing but great memories!

I started flying in Juneau in 79. We didn't have anything like that back then. VOR navigation, no glass panel.
A simulator was a map on two scrolls, moving upward, with mechanical, X and Y , movements, and a small aircraft.

Thought you might enjoy this:

Load times look really bad, but everything else looks really good.
Well if FS is designed as the past FS, then the computer requirements for the optimal/ultra is gear that is not on the market yet and won't be for a couple of years.

Basically you need a beefy PC with a speedy nvme and fiber Internet to make it run "fast".

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom