• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FLDS polygamist cult in Colorado city

CLAX1911

Supreme knower of all
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Just watched a bit about this cult on the news. I remember when Warren Jeffs was arrested for sexual abuse of children. I has no idea his "church" was still in operation.

I Just figured it was a standard cult, compound and the brainwashed legion within. But apparently the town, Colorado city AZ is completely controlled by this cult. There are no grocery stores, everybody gets food from the church repository housed within the compound. The city Marshall is suspected of intimidating non cult members. Several people who have fled, giving testimony to the cult and its practices.

Former FLDS member is sharing her insights on the sect | Deseret News

Starting to think that there is definitely a valid case against polygamy.

Just watched a bit about this cult on the news. I remember when Warren Jeffs was arrested for sexual abuse of children. I has no idea his "church" was still in operation.

I Just figured it was a standard cult, compound and the brainwashed legion within. But apparently the town, Colorado city AZ is completely controlled by this cult. There are no grocery stores, everybody gets food from the church repository housed within the compound. The city Marshall is suspected of intimidating non cult members. Several people who have fled, giving testimony to the cult and its practices.

I dunno if polygamy is the problem- I'd call it exploitation of underage girls by middleaged lechers. Polygamy, either sort, sounds like something the gov't has no business involving itself in, just so long as they're all consenting adults.
There's a nest of those nasty diddlers here in BC...

Bountiful, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A law against polygamy might be a useful tool to prosecuters but looks like it makes a crime of something that shouldn't be.

I dunno if polygamy is the problem- I'd call it exploitation of underage girls by middleaged lechers. Polygamy, either sort, sounds like something the gov't has no business involving itself in, just so long as they're all consenting adults.

A law against polygamy might be a useful tool to prosecuters but looks like it makes a crime of something that shouldn't be.
Doesn't bother me as long as the age difference doesn't violate current laws. As long they're consenting it shouldn't bother anyone.

There are nut jobs that abuse children, and less than competent adults in all sorts of marital and extra-marital relationships. I fail to see the existance of one such group as justification for making any form of marriage illegal. Would you feel the same if someone pointed out the bizarre acts of a GLBT or monogamist based commune of loonies?

There are nut jobs that abuse children, and less than competent adults in all sorts of marital and extra-marital relationships. I fail to see the existance of one such group as justification for making any form of marriage illegal. Would you feel the same if someone pointed out the bizarre acts of a GLBT or monogamist based commune of loonies?

Lgbt doesn't control an entire town not does it coerce police departments. As for communal living, I don'treally care, that isn't the issue.

If your family makes up 65% of the society, i think that becomes an issue.

Lgbt doesn't control an entire town not does it coerce police departments. As for communal living, I don'treally care, that isn't the issue.

So, if not for polygamy (which is already not a legal form of marriage), cults would likely not happen? It must be a very large cult or a very small town. I have yet to see polygamists try to force a state to change their marriage laws.

So, if not for polygamy (which is already not a legal form of marriage), cults would likely not happen? It must be a very large cult or a very small town. I have yet to see polygamists try to force a state to change their marriage laws.

Look up Colorado city Arizona. It is a very large cult in a very small town, that is the point.

Polygamy is not the tool of every cult, but it is an effective one.

Polygamists try to change state marriage laws all the time, it just doesn't get media coverage because the American populous is still pretty strawberry opposed to it.

Look up Colorado city Arizona. It is a very large cult in a very small town, that is the point.

Polygamy is not the tool of every cult, but it is an effective one.

Polygamists try to change state marriage laws all the time, it just doesn't get media coverage because the American populous is still pretty strawberry opposed to it.

Yep its a small town, population of about 6,000, just south of Utah in northern AZ. It appears that this has been going on for quite some time.

ABC15 Investigates why law to hold Colorado City Marshals accountable fails to pass, again

If polygamy ever was legalized, they would have to go by the same laws as anyone else, including age of consent laws.

I Think there would have to be a limit on the number of spouses you have also.

Probably a good idea. I really don't think that most people want more than one spouse at a time though. :lol: That would be crazy IMO.

that has nothing to do with "polygamy"
thats called rape, assault and rights violations

things that dont make up any part of what polygamy actually is

connecting this to polygamy is like collecting molestation to priest

im sure you know that though

that has nothing to do with "polygamy"
thats called rape, assault and rights violations

things that dont make up any part of what polygamy actually is

connecting this to polygamy is like collecting molestation to priest

im sure you know that though

Well, I don't think that polygamy plays no role in thus what so ever. This is just the extreme. I don't think that thus group would have a strangle hold in this town if they weren't all kin by affinity.

Well, I don't think that polygamy plays no role in thus what so ever. This is just the extreme. I don't think that thus group would have a strangle hold in this town if they weren't all kin by affinity.

but what does that have to do with polygamy itself?

it plays a role on how they gain power just like rape, money, love, assault, murder and brute force can also but thats about it.

I always thought it was grossly negligent to label these people as "polygamist" in these cases, its dishonest. I liken it to calling the KKK Christians and terrorist Muslims.
Just my 2 cents

but what does that have to do with polygamy itself?

it plays a role on how they gain power just like rape, money, love, assault, murder and brute force can also but thats about it.

I always thought it was grossly negligent to label these people as "polygamist" in these cases, its dishonest. I liken it to calling the KKK Christians and terrorist Muslims.
Just my 2 cents

Well they are polygamists, that is a fact.

If these people weren't all related there would be less of a stronghold on the town.

1.)Well they are polygamists, that is a fact.
2.)If these people weren't all related there would be less of a stronghold on the town.

1.) yes i agree and the terrorist are Muslims and the KKK were Christians. You don think its unfair to paint them with that label like its the only thing that makes them a group?
2.) probably true

i still see no argument here again polygamy the way it would be legalized thought.

consenting adults and if there were to be some Dr. evil master mind to pull something off there could just always be an austin powers restriction of 5 spouses in either direction or something.

ugh the idea of 5 honey-do list is enough for me not to want to participate lol

1.) yes i agree and the terrorist are Muslims and the KKK were Christians. You don think its unfair to paint them with that label like its the only thing that makes them a group?
2.) probably true

i still see no argument here again polygamy the way it would be legalized thought.

consenting adults and if there were to be some Dr. evil master mind to pull something off there could just always be an austin powers restriction of 5 spouses in either direction or something.

ugh the idea of 5 honey-do list is enough for me not to want to participate lol

Polygamy means many spouses, that is all it means. They are polygamists, that is simple fact. Yes Muslim extremists are Muslim that is why they call them Muslim. I am not really familiar with religions of the klan, but if they are Christian then yes they would be Christian. I don't know why you insist on telling me these details.

It only has to do with polygamy, I am saying now for the second time, because this is the extreme. If we consider this as being legal in or country there must be limits to how big a marriage can be.

1.)Polygamy means many spouses, that is all it means. They are polygamists, that is simple fact. Yes Muslim extremists are Muslim that is why they call them Muslim. I am not really familiar with religions of the klan, but if they are Christian then yes they would be Christian. I don't know why you insist on telling me these details.

2.)It only has to do with polygamy, I am saying now for the second time, because this is the extreme. If we consider this as being legal in or country there must be limits to how big a marriage can be.

1.) easy because im explaining how its unfair for articles to label them this way and they way people equate that with the other ecil they do which has nothing to do with them. be clear im not saying YOU im saying in general.

if i read articles that said this i would think what bull**** that is to title it that way

"Muslims bomb NY and say they will continue to bring death to all of america" - terrorist actually did this
"Christians assemble to conduct killing of any and all blacks the see, they dont view them as equal" - kkk actually did this
"Gays busted in child sex slave ring" - rapist and pedophiles actually did this
"polygamist busted in child sex slave ring" - rapist and pedophiles actually did this

thats all im getting at

2.) the rules are already there consenting adults

1.) easy because im explaining how its unfair for articles to label them this way and they way people equate that with the other ecil they do which has nothing to do with them. be clear im not saying YOU im saying in general.

if i read articles that said this i would think what bull**** that is to title it that way

"Muslims bomb NY and say they will continue to bring death to all of america" - terrorist actually did this
"Christians assemble to conduct killing of any and all blacks the see, they dont view them as equal" - kkk actually did this
"Gays busted in child sex slave ring" - rapist and pedophiles actually did this
"polygamist busted in child sex slave ring" - rapist and pedophiles actually did this

thats all im getting at

2.) the rules are already there consenting adults

I am sorry, but you misunderstand. I didn't say all polygamists are FLDS cultists. That is the fundamental problem with this conversation. I don't know what I said that made you believe that, but until you understand that this conversation will go nowhere.

I am not interested in defending my statements against your misunderstanding.

I understand what you are getting at. It really doesn't address anything regarding this cult.

1.)I am sorry, but you misunderstand. I didn't say all polygamists are FLDS cultists. That is the fundamental problem with this conversation. I don't know what I said that made you believe that, but until you understand that this conversation will go nowhere.

2.)I am not interested in defending my statements against your misunderstanding.

3.) I understand what you are getting at. It really doesn't address anything regarding this cult.

1.) good grief thats not what i was implying you said and my apologies if you did, i was just saying i think the label is unfair how people use it
2.) see #1
3.) of course it does, without force and coercion more than likely this group doesn't come to power

1.) good grief thats not what i was implying you said and my apologies if you did, i was just saying i think the label is unfair how people use it
2.) see #1
3.) of course it does, without force and coercion more than likely this group doesn't come to power

I applied the label perfectly, they are polygamists, they are also child molesters and deceptive, but they are polygamists. I think I said that the other two labels applied in my OP.

If they aren't polygamists prove it.

The rules regarding child molestation were the only way they were able to arrest Warren Jeffs. I am sorry but his arrest didn't shut down his cult. The power of the cult isn't derived from child molestation, it's additives from coercion.

1.) I applied the label perfectly, they are polygamists, they are also child molesters and deceptive, but they are polygamists. I think I said that the other two labels applied in my OP.
2.) If they aren't polygamists prove it.
3.)The rules regarding child molestation were the only way they were able to arrest Warren Jeffs. I am sorry but his arrest didn't shut down his cult. The power of the cult isn't derived from child molestation, it's additives from coercion.

1.) again im not talking about you im talking about how articles and some people paint a picture like i already said in post 21
2.) didnt say they weren't
3.) coercion thats what i said

Back
Top Bottom