• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Flashback: In 1982 Joe Biden Voted for Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Roe v Wade and Make It a State Issue

Well I declare! It seems the elderly dementia addled usurper has some explaining to do. He needs to be grilled by Peter Doocy asap.

Lol. That was 40 years ago.

Let me guess, you have not changed your mind about a single thing in 40 years.

I would say every five years or so I’ve probably changed a major position as I get more info, sure. That’s how people should be, able to grow as they learn.

No that just means you never did the research the first time you made your opinion.

Well I declare! It seems the elderly dementia addled usurper has some explaining to do. He needs to be grilled by Peter Doocy asap.

Ole Flip Flop.

No that just means you never did the research the first time you made your opinion.
Incorrect. Data tends to evolve over time, that’s just the nature of information, especially in a computerized society.

And truth, in most cases, is just whatever is the current state of that accumulated data combined with one’s poor of view on it combined with one’s comfort with current social convention. That’s why truth varies so much from culture to culture.

Translation: flip flopping doesn't matter if they are currently supporting the position I agree with
You don't translate very well. Would you actually trust your vote to a politician who literally never changed his views on anything in 40 years? I ALWAYS look to see if I can find an issue or two which shows something other than cemented opinions of one's youth or early days. I want to see if they are willing to admit it, when they did see something wrong in their prior stances. There is another word for this 'flip-flopping' in a public servant over the course of years or decades. I call it growth, and maturity. I don't think that is a process that is supposed to stop after puberty, or after you turn 30, or after you have a voting record from your first years in public life.

I want to know what in your position changed, and why it changed and where it might lead you in the future. If your answers are candid and plausible, then you are probably not flip flopping for election purposes alone

Lol. That was 40 years ago.

Let me guess, you have not changed your mind about a single thing in 40 years.
So it's ok to change your mind? Then the left needs to stop complaining about Kavanaugh and Korsich. Left says they lied about abortion but I reckon they just changed their minds.

The Democratic Party was almost lockstep with Republicans on social issues until relatively recently (within the last 10 years or so). Then it gave itself a facelift because it saw the underdogs as sumptuous voting blocs.

You don't translate very well. Would you actually trust your vote to a politician who literally never changed his views on anything in 40 years? I ALWAYS look to see if I can find an issue or two which shows something other than cemented opinions of one's youth or early days. I want to see if they are willing to admit it, when they did see something wrong in their prior stances. There is another word for this 'flip-flopping' in a public servant over the course of years or decades. I call it growth, and maturity. I don't think that is a process that is supposed to stop after puberty, or after you turn 30, or after you have a voting record from your first years in public life.

I want to know what in your position changed, and why it changed and where it might lead you in the future.
When the change is 180 degrees from their original stance you have to wonder why. Change of conviction or just a new poll came out and he needed the votes to get elected.

When the change is 180 degrees from their original stance you have to wonder why. Change of conviction or just a new poll came out and he needed the votes to get elected.
Except its actually not. Joe continues not to endorse abortion as a rule except in the public policy sphere.. He's very ambivalent about it in private and glad that fewer and fewer people are getting them. He wants them legal and rare. Not unlike many catholics.

I want to know what in your position changed, and why it changed and where it might lead you in the future. If your answers are candid and plausible, then you are probably not flip flopping for election purposes alone

Of course every position isn't concrete but abortion hasn't changed, if anything there are less reasons to get one now. If Biden has a legitimate reason for changing so be it but he doesn't he was forced to change to stay in leadership in the democrat party.

Just like you have seen Bill Clinton being forced to disavow many of his achievements in office because they no longer align with democrat party goals.

Yep, I would have been against that as well, your point?

Yeah, well, this is 2022 and it looks like the choice in 2024 is going to be Biden who thinks differently than he did 40 years ago, or the disgusting criminal bastard who stacked the court with a conservative majority that apparently lied out both corners of its ass during confirmation hearings.

If you want to move the needle on the Biden vs. Trump thing, you have to wait for Biden to do things worse than the things Trump did. It's about the least worst choice.
He already has. He's really incompetent. Not the fake incompetent that the left drags out on Trump, no.
REALLY incompetent.

So it's ok to change your mind? Then the left needs to stop complaining about Kavanaugh and Korsich. Left says they lied about abortion but I reckon they just changed their minds.
They didn't change their minds they lied. That was recent.

Of course every position isn't concrete but abortion hasn't changed, if anything there are less reasons to get one now. If Biden has a legitimate reason for changing so be it but he doesn't he was forced to change to stay in leadership in the democrat party.

Just like you have seen Bill Clinton being forced to disavow many of his achievements in office because they no longer align with democrat party goals.
Translation, when you LIKE the change, and when you LIKE the newfound justification then its 'legitimate' and when you don't it has to be for political purposes.

See, I can translate your prose just as cynically as you can translate anyone elses!

Translation, when you LIKE the change, and when you LIKE the newfound justification then its 'legitimate' and when you don't it has to be for political purposes.

See, I can translate your prose just as cynically as you can translate anyone elses!

If you have a legitimate reason from Biden changing his position let's hear it.

Only Republiecans are allowed to evolve over 40 years.
Repubs oppose pre- and post-natal care.
DEMs are far more involved in ADOPTION services.

He has changed on the issue along with a great many Catholics.

If you can somehow define what is 'legitimate' without cluing us in on your own political bias and agenda, let's hear that first. Let's see to tapdance around those partisan trigger words

Tell us all why Trump changed his original stance 180 degrees, and only 15 years later. Was he trying to get elected by the right?

So anyone who appeared in blackface years ago, gets a pass as well? Just curious.
If that person truly has changed the. They have changed.

Trudeau wouldn’t do it these days for example and he did apologize.

Back in 1999 your MAGA crush said that he was "very pro-choice" and he supported partial birth abortion. He also tried to get his mistress Marla Maples to abort the fetus now known as Tiffany Trump. Biden doesn't owe you and the morons at The Gateway Pundit any explanations.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/trump-in-1999-i-am-very-pro-choice-480297539914

Anyone has the ability to change their views. In fact, even Joe Biden has changed his views on abortion rights.

Let's take a look:
Joe Biden entered the senate in 1973, the same year the Supreme Court legalized abortion in its Roe v. Wade decision. He has evolved from being strongly pro-life to rabidly pro-abortion. Here is a list of his changing positions.

1974: A year after Roe v. Wade was decided, he said the ruling had gone “too far” and that a woman seeking an abortion should not have the “sole right to say what should happen to her body.”

1976: He votes for the “Hyde Amendment” which bans federal funding of abortions.

1981: He introduces the “Biden Amendment” which prohibits foreign-aid funding of biomedical research involving abortion.

1982: He votes for a constitutional amendment allowing states to overturn Roe v. Wade.

1983: He votes against a constitutional amendment allowing states to overturn Roe v. Wade.

1984: He votes for the Mexico City Policy which bans federal funding for abortions.

1987: He becomes chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and leads the fight against Supreme Court nominee Judge Robert Bork, whom he said was opposed to Roe v. Wade.

1994: He says, “Those of us who are opposed to abortion should not be compelled to pay for them.”

1995: He votes to ban partial-birth abortion.

1997: He votes to ban partial-birth abortion.

2003: He votes to ban partial-birth abortion

2007: He criticizes the Supreme Court decision upholding the ban on partial-birth abortion, calling it “paternalistic.”

2008: He says he is opposed to overturning Roe v. Wade.

2012: He says the government does not have “a right to tell other people that women, they can’t control their body.”

2019: He says he is opposed to the “Hyde Amendment” which bans the federal funding of abortion.

2020: He says he supports abortion “under any circumstances.”

There is no one in public life who has undergone such a dramatic transformation. He did not change because of the Catholic Church: it did not change its position on abortion. He did not change because of science: it did not change its position on when life begins. It was Biden who changed, and he did so for totally political reasons.

Joe Biden is a devout Catholic and personally against abortion but he has come to accept the fundamental right of a woman to choose. That by the way would be me too.....well maybe not the devout Catholic part so much.

Sorry, but I am not buying his devout Catholicism.

2007: He criticizes the Supreme Court decision upholding the ban on partial-birth abortion, calling it “paternalistic.”

Source listed in my last post.

Back
Top Bottom