• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

flare gun for personal protection

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I have a lib friend who told me he is carrying a flare gun to defend himself. He saw some movie where one put a hole through a guy. I told him if you shoot someone with a flare gun you'll just piss em off. Who's right?

I have a lib friend who told me he is carrying a flare gun to defend himself. He saw some movie where one put a hole through a guy. I told him if you shoot someone with a flare gun you'll just piss em off. Who's right?

Don't volunteer to find out! ;)

If he doesn't miss, he is.

Edit:

Do-over!!!!!

There are many different types of flares. Most operate on small rocket motor similar to toy rockets. The burning exhaust propels the burning flare, but not at speeds that can punch through a human body, or even embed itself in a human body.

They are dangerous, and can cause burns. If a flare were fired at a person, it would likely bounce off the person, and continue off in a random direction until the rocket propellant ran out. The contact with the flare would be so short that the impact would hurt more than the burn from the flare or rocket exhaust.

It is possible for the flare to get caught in clothing. The rocket motor is not even powerful enough to rip through most fabrics. That could cause severe burns with the burning phosphorus flare combined with the burning rocket exhaust.

You're right.

Depends on if I'm drunk or not, and if I'm wearing a nice shirt or not. Drunk with crappy clothes on? I'd probably say "HELL YEAH!!!". Not drunk, or with a nice shirt now burnt? Yeah, I'd be pretty mad.

Flare guns are just Roman candles with a bit more kick.

You should probably get your lib friend a stun gun or taser before he gets murdered while trying unsuccessfully to defend himself, lol.

He should also carry a watergun with gasoline. He could hose the guy down and then flare him.

Well, because, clearly, it's not a gun.

It's got more flair than that.

Har har.

A`flare shell fired at close range would probably bounce off someone before fully igniting. But if it did ignite and managed to adhere to the person it would cause a serious burn depending on how much of the combustable material stuck to the person it hit. Problem is, it IS combustion and hit or miss might cause a fire in the surrounding area. Fairly foolish and unreliable method of self-defense.

He'd do better with pepper spray or a baseball bat IMO.

Since you can legally open carry in Idaho I would trust this much more:

PT638.jpg

I don't know much about flare guns, but what I do know would indicate that his is incorrect.

If the flare was bright enough, and hot enough, it might blind him and leave a small burn/bruise from the impact.

Perhaps he's hoping they'll think it's some insanely large-bore handcannon, and run away.

I tell you if there is one thing that will cause an assailant to crap their drawers other than an attack dog charging at them, I bet it would be a flare coming in their direction.

Avoiding a confrontation would be a much better choice. A flare would be painful but it would never stop a determined idiot. A flair fired from a 25mm Very pistol would not penetrate even a light jacket. If you have nothing better to defend yourself shoot and run. A 10 ga round in such a pistol would likely burst the breach and severely burn the person who pulled the trigger, btw.

There is a news story of a woman being shot with a flaregun you can show your liberal friend.

Florida Man Shot Waitress With Flare Gun After She Refuses To Pay For His Beer: Cops (VIDEO)

What would REALLY happen if you shot someone with a flare gun?

Pyromania-Pyro-flare-gun-kill.jpg

Back
Top Bottom