• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Flags Banned At Local High School

This is the United States of America. The flag of the United States of America was banned.. slightly odd. I could see banning the mexican flag to quell the violence.. but both? The high school administrator should be severely reprimanded, the ban on the flag lifted, and the publics attention should go back to fixing the problem at the heart of this.. illegals.

Btw its against the constitution to ban burning the flag.. but not to ban flying the flag? :doh

vergiss said:
I'm a fan of your First Amendment, don't worry, but... I kinda don't see what flags have to do with freedom of speech.

What your opinion on banning the burning of flags?

The courts have ruled that freedom of expression falls under freedom of speech, I forget the name of the case but it involved a man who got arrested for wearing a shirt that read: "fuc/k the draft." His conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court.

LogicalReason said:
This is the United States of America. The flag of the United States of America was banned.. slightly odd. I could see banning the mexican flag to quell the violence.. but both? The high school administrator should be severely reprimanded, the ban on the flag lifted, and the publics attention should go back to fixing the problem at the heart of this.. illegals.

Btw its against the constitution to ban burning the flag.. but not to ban flying the flag? :doh

Banning either of the flags is a violation of the 1st amendment.

I think it is an absolute disgrace that the students would disrespect our flag like that and turn it into a gang symbol. The story as a headline makes it sound retarded, banning the American flag sounds awful and a violation of rights. But when I read further into it I began to see the school's point of view. Tensions were high and kids were disrespecting the American flag by waiving it in other students faces. All out race riots start over less, the local high school in my town recently had a small one over far less. The students right to free speech ended when they started to put eachother at risk.

They haven't banned the American flag from being flown outside the school. They've just put an end to students disrespecting our flag and what our country stands for. The American flag isn't a gang symbol and shame on the students for treating it as one.

Last edited:
knicksin2010 said:
I think it is an absolute disgrace that the students would disrespect our flag like that and turn it into a gang symbol. The story as a headline makes it sound retarded, banning the American flag sounds awful and a violation of rights. But when I read further into it I began to see the school's point of view. Tensions were high and kids were disrespecting the American flag by waiving it in other students faces. .

If you're offended by the American flag then perhaps you should get the hell out of this country. Nobody was disrespecting the flag the Mexican kids brought in the Mexican flag so the American kids brought in the American Flag, how is that disrespecting the flag?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
If you're offended by the American flag then perhaps you should get the hell out of this country. Nobody was disrespecting the flag the Mexican kids brought in the Mexican flag so the American kids brought in the American Flag, how is that disrespecting the flag?
Waiving the American flag or Mexican flag or anything for that matter in kids faces is wrong and can lead to dangerous situations. Waiving the American flag in someone’s face disrespects our flag. There's nothing patriotic about it. It's blatantly disrespectful.

If you don't think that disrespects our flag than you don't love this country. And if you don't understand that the schools obligations to keep the students safe in school gives them the right to limit "free speech" than you're clueless.

knicksin2010 said:
Waiving the American flag or Mexican flag or anything for that matter in kids faces is wrong and can lead to dangerous situations. Waiving the American flag in someone’s face disrespects our flag. There's nothing patriotic about it. It's blatantly disrespectful.

If you don't think that disrespects our flag than you don't love this country. And if you don't understand that the schools obligations to keep the students safe in school gives them the right to limit "free speech" than you're clueless.

What do you mean by waving it in your face? Do you mean waving the flag within visual range of someone who might find it offensive? What do you mean?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
What do you mean by waving it in your face? Do you mean waving the flag within visual range of someone who might find it offensive? What do you mean?

Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060401045009990014&ncid=NWS00010000000001

The students brought this on themselves if this information is accurate that students were "brazenly" waiving flags and throwing flags at eachother.

Who cares anyway?

The American Flag once represented freedom and justice. Now it is the foundation of bondage and imperialism. It doesn't even matter now. None of the conjectures on which this country was actually founded matter now. Nobody is willing to fight for what's right. Everyone wants to pick a side with out thinking it through. Idiots to the left... idiots to the right. Idiots abound who have no clue as to what we were meant to be. It's so disgusting to realize that our principles, our laws.. our jurisprudence has been side stepped by imperialistic elitists who want nothing more than to control this nation through sublime economic sanctions. It really is unfortunate that such petty issues like immigration hold precedence over the mere issue of security. People aren't sick. THey're ignorant. Everytime I see the flag waving I can only think of how disgusting it is that so many people have abondoned the priniciples and foundation of freedom, justice, and most of all... the BRAVE. Go back into your shells... COWARDS.

easyt65 said:
Dude, I don't know what burr is under your saddle, but you are WAY off freakin' base on this one, as least as the MAJORITY goes! I don't know what is wrong with your neighbors, but as for me and mine, when ANYONE in America tries to ban AMERICAN FLAGS and clothing expressing national pride or anything having to do with American pride, it has nothing to do with any "Moral Superiority"! This has everything to do with Political Correctness run amuck!

This is America for gosh sakes! It is bad enough that we are told that we can not express anything about Christianity in public anymore, despite the fact that the VAST majority of the Founding fathers were christians and wrote many personal papers and gave speeches saying that this country was founded as a Christian nation and could hardly exist without God! NOW we are being told that we have to be ashamed of being Americans in our own country? That we can not have the American Flags in our schools because it might offend some illegal immigrant children who have come to this country and are now in our schools systems receiving a FREE American education? We have to tell our kids that they can't wear anything with the American flag on it for fear of sticking their attitude of moral superiority in others faces? (Dude, my 8 year old has no idea what that means but loves this country and loves to wear a dress with that has a logo of an American Flag on it. If you think I am going to tell her she can't wear it, you're nuts...and it has nothing to do with racism!)

Why shouldn't we be proud of this country? If it $UCKED, do you think all these illegal immigrants would be flocking here to begin with? We are the envy of almost every country in the world, which is why so many millions from other nations come here, legally or not, every year! They want a piece of what we have, yet you are telling us, like this stupid rule, that we have to start hiding our colors and stop displaying our American pride because it might hurt the foreigner's feelings?!

Too Frickin' bad! No one asked them here anyway, especially the ILLEGAL aliens, so if they are offended, they can stop taking our FREE welfare, unemployment, medicaid, healthcare, education and jobs, and go the h@ll back were they came from, and they can cut back through the desert the way they came in! If that sounds like I am a racist, you are wrong, because I would tell ANYONE of any race or color the same thing, that we don't have to hide our pride for this country IN this country for anyone! I would argue that Mexico, Canada, and any other country has the same right to express their pride in their country in any way they want - it is THEIR country! If I don't like it, I can stay out!

This whole thing is friggin' ridiculous! Next thing you are going to see is some stupid politician pandering to someone or some group for votes by writing legislation that calls for English to be outlawed in school, forcing us all to learn and speak only Spanish to accomodate the Latinos better and to ensure we don't offend them! H@LL, we never could pass the STUPID rule where English is the official language, but just to get more votes, some politician might even suggest that we make Spanish the nation's official language!:roll:

You are correct.The pc nuts are deballing and sissifying our country with their pc bullshit.

knicksin2010 said:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=brazenly

"brazenly" waiving flags and throwing flags at eachother.

You figure out what I meant :roll:
Your miscontruing what an object is and how it is used...

Throwing a flag in somebody's face is taunting...and reprimands should be handed out...

What about anyone who brought one in just to show how they felt and did NOT taunt?

To ban the object...even when it is NOT used as taunting...is the forceful exclusion of freedom...

What if the Americans were waving tacos in their face...Do you ban tacos?

What if the Mexicans were waving old maps which showed the Southwest as part of Mexico in the Americans' faces...Do you ban maps?

The fact that we're talking about flags goes to the emotional aspect, but irrelevant of that, the fact that ANYTHING is prevented flies in the face of the freedoms we hold dear...

That teacher threw those freedoms under a bus...

Which was probably driven by someone without papers...

I pity da fool that that craps on the flag in front of me....

I'd just stick my tongue out right at 'em! I might even go as far as calling them a ninny-boo.

But, that being said, I don't think we should run around creating havoc over some senseless yahoo like the people who got offended by the Muslim cartoons did.

My_name_is_not_Larry said:
This ban on american flags is crazy, how else can you describe it?
L_b_r_l...

Wanna buy a vow?...:2wave:

cnredd said:
Your miscontruing what an object is and how it is used...

Throwing a flag in somebody's face is taunting...and reprimands should be handed out...

What about anyone who brought one in just to show how they felt and did NOT taunt?

To ban the object...even when it is NOT used as taunting...is the forceful exclusion of freedom...

What if the Americans were waving tacos in their face...Do you ban tacos?

What if the Mexicans were waving old maps which showed the Southwest as part of Mexico in the Americans' faces...Do you ban maps?

The fact that we're talking about flags goes to the emotional aspect, but irrelevant of that, the fact that ANYTHING is prevented flies in the face of the freedoms we hold dear...

That teacher threw those freedoms under a bus...

Which was probably driven by someone without papers...

The american flag hasn't been banned, It's still flown in front of the school and in class rooms. The students turned the flags of both countries into gang symbols by using it in a taunting way(both sides). Students are banned from carrying/wearing Gang colors in school this is no different. You don't have the same freedoms in school because the school has an obligation to keep students safe and in school classes and the students in school don't have the choice of leaving hence freedom of speech is limited.

If we did what they were doing with the flags in my school I have no doubt my VP (A war vet) would do the same thing. And I think most schools would too if they're honest with themselves.

The students were out of control, their not the patroitic heros you're making them out to be.

cnredd said:
I finally have something in agreement with Michael Moore...

"Dude, where's my country?"...:(

Bringing the flag of the very country you reside in is now called "bigotry"...:(

The bigotry in this country is mind boggling...

I'm lucky to report that the school I work at has a display of about 50 international flags to represent our respect for diversity.

No confederate flag though...

knicksin2010 said:
The american flag hasn't been banned, It's still flown in front of the school and in class rooms. The students turned the flags of both countries into gang symbols by using it in a taunting way(both sides). Students are banned from carrying/wearing Gang colors in school this is no different. You don't have the same freedoms in school because the school has an obligation to keep students safe and in school classes and the students in school don't have the choice of leaving hence freedom of speech is limited.

If we did what they were doing with the flags in my school I have no doubt my VP (A war vet) would do the same thing. And I think most schools would too if they're honest with themselves.

The students were out of control, their not the patroitic heros you're making them out to be.
Regurdless of the intentions of the students,the United States flag should never be banned in public school.If this was a private liberal school ran by ward churchill they can ban all they symbols of this country on their property all the thay want.A tax payer funded employee on a tax payer funded property has no business banning our national symbols from the tax payer funded property he works on.

jamesrage said:
Regurdless of the intentions of the students,the United States flag should never be banned in public school.If this was a private liberal school ran by ward churchill they can ban all they symbols of this country on their property all the thay want.A tax payer funded employee on a tax payer funded property has no business banning our national symbols from the tax payer funded property he works on.

They didn't ban the US flag. It still flies in front of the school. I happen to live 20 minutes away, I know. They banned students from taunting eachother with flags. If they could act like adults, this never would have happened.

Kelzie said:
They didn't ban the US flag. It still flies in front of the school. I happen to live 20 minutes away, I know. They banned students from taunting eachother with flags. If they could act like adults, this never would have happened.

They can't ban any flag it's violation of the first amendment.

Kelzie said:

Telling students they can not bring flags to school is banning the flag.

Schools have a lot of power over students. It seems like they can just waive constitutional freedoms because they deal with minors. That, and kids have to sign a discipline handbook which relieves them of a lot of choices.
The first amendment doesn't protect Defamation, Causing panic, Fighting words, Incitement to crime, Sedition, or Obscenity. (http://www.csulb.edu/~jvancamp/freedom1.html) and it seems to me that the students were using it as an expression to incite fighting.
The banning of the american flag was to show equality in the limiting of the freedom of expression. If you tell a child that they can't have a mexican flag, but they can have an american flag, that would teach them that american flags are somehow different from other flag. The flag is a symbol, not a device. Its lack of presence will not cause america to not exist. A symbol is a convenient representation of a complicated object/system.

Back
Top Bottom