• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

From Oregon to Minnesota to Ohio, vandals trampled on Old Glory over the Memorial Day weekend. In one Ohio town alone, approximately 25 American flags were found set ablaze on Monday.

At least one national veterans group called for those responsible for the "shocking and reprehensible" acts of vandalism to be quickly arrested and prosecuted.

Police in Wooster, Ohio, were going door-to-door early Tuesday in search of the people who torched roughly 25 flags and flagpoles along Saunders Drive and Morgan Street, Capt. John Quicci said.

FOXNews.com - Flag Vandalism Mars Memorial Day in Several States

There is a special place in hell for cowardly dirtbags like this.

What is a flag anyways? Simply a piece of fabric and a symbol of nationalist fevor. That's all. People burn them because they don't like nationalism. What's wrong with that?

People who don't love their country don't deserve to live in it-- regardless of which country it is.

People who don't love their country don't deserve to live in it-- regardless of which country it is.

I agree. As long as that doesn't mean you can't critisize your own country sometimes.

But certainly this action is inexcusable.

Who loves you more, the friend who apologizes for all of your mistakes or the friend who tells you to pull yourself together?

I would say that buring a flag alone does not determine whether one loves or hates a country, and even still, why is it just a case of love / hate? What about like but acknowledge the issues it faces, or anything IN BETWEEN the extremes?

Anyways, the issue, for those who miss it, seems to be the people burning down not their own flags, but other flags and flagpoles, actually vandalizing other people's property.

Last edited:
What is a flag anyways? Simply a piece of fabric and a symbol of nationalist fevor. That's all. People burn them because they don't like nationalism. What's wrong with that?

Your correct. Sometimes people burn the flag out of protest. Now can you enlighten me on what protest or good it does to stomp on the flag on Memorial Day? It is a day to remember those who gave their lives so you have the right to protest. Seems to me it it totally disrespectful. There is a time and a place to address your grievances against the government. IMO, this is not the day or the method to do it.

This is the liberal double standard

Last edited:
I would say that buring a flag alone does not determine whether one loves or hates a country...

People forget that burning is the only acceptable means of discarding a flag when it's grown too worn to fly proudly. But burning a flag in protest? That isn't taking issue with a country's policies, that's attacking what the country stands for. That is unacceptable.

Anyways, the issue, for those who miss it, seems to be the people burning down not their own flags, but other flags and flagpoles, actually vandalizing other people's property.

Honestly, I think the act of burning the American flag on Memorial Day is a much bigger issue than the trivial amount of property damage it represents. Flags are plentiful and cheap. What they stand for is precious and rare.

Explain how this is a double standard. :confused: I'm more concerned about the guys saying "if you don't love your country you shouldn't live in it." Does that include loving everything your country does? Woo! We all love health care reform because we love our country! ;)

In any case, I'd label these guys "assholes" but that's about it. You can love your country and still express outrage at some of the things it does. If burning a flag is how you want to express that, well, have fun with that jerkwad. (as long as it's your own flag)

Vandalism is a crime and these guys should be punished according to that. Just because it was a flag vandalized instead of a car or something doesn't mean we should treat it more harshly.

troll-web.jpg

People forget that burning is the only acceptable means of discarding a flag when it's grown too worn to fly proudly. But burning a flag in protest? That isn't taking issue with a country's policies, that's attacking what the country stands for. That is unacceptable.

Honestly, I think the act of burning the American flag on Memorial Day is a much bigger issue than the trivial amount of property damage it represents. Flags are plentiful and cheap. What they stand for is precious and rare.

I disagree completely. If I burn a flag, it might be a protest of the war in Iraq. I'm not automatically attacking freedom, the rule of law, any of our civil liberties, or whatever. You just said yourself that the reason for burning the flag is important... and then you turn around and pre-determine my (hypothetical) reason for doing it!

Edit: And you can love your country and also hate some of the things it is doing. Unless you conservatives hate America now because of that health care thing?

Last edited:
I don't understand the POV of people that say "IF you don't love your country, you should leave it" You can love your country and still hate the government. A flag is not a symbol of country but a symbol of government, and some people don't like what that flag represents.

I also don't agree with the idea that I should have to leave if I don't love my country. Where will I go? Who will pay for me to leave?

These are simply the actions of people who do not comprehend or appreciate what better people than them have done for them.

They are entirely unaware and don't give a crap what a Sudanese boy will wake up to tomorrow. Or what it means to live under Castro or Kim Jong-Il. They don't comprehend what their lives would be - or wouldn't be at all - if 400,000 Americans didn't die in World War II.

This isn't about freedom to do what one pleases. This is about a complete lack of respect for anything anyone.

If it was their flag then I would say nothing, they instead burned the property of others and deserve to be punished for it. Had they been caught in the act I would support shooting on site for trespassing.

A flag is the symbol of a government and burning it is in protest to the actions of said government. My father taught me a very valuable civic duty lesson, which is one can love your country but you can absolutely despise your government. In the United States, the government does not have sovereignty. Sovereignty resides in the people themselves. Therefore, the sovereigns are telling the servant that your actions are not above reproach and you're being called on those actions due to you acting in my name without my consent.

My father was a Vietnam vet that buried 62 of his best friends during his tour over there in '66-'67.

To be honest, I got no real problem with burning flags. People have every right to be idiots, and if burning a piece of cloth makes you happy, or mad, that does not bother me. However, these flags belonged to other people, which makes it a crime, and the choice of dates and probable reasoning behind it makes those who did it complete asses.

Because you don't get to destroy someone else's property so you can tell all your bros about how badass you are.

Back
Top Bottom