• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Flag burning

Should US flag buring be illegal?

• No it's a form of expression

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Yes it should be illegal

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I really do not care

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Depends [please post]

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
Squawker said:
You can say it if you want to go to jail for hate speech Champ. That is all I said in my post that you lefties so gleefully jump on as a first amendment issue. Burning the flag should be in the same catagory IMO. Why should we have laws about a racial slur and not a slur on our national symbol?

Well personally I don't think there SHOULD be laws against racial slurs. Are they pleasant? Of course not-but it is not the government's place to regulate such things.

Fu_chick said:
Well personally I don't think there SHOULD be laws against racial slurs. Are they pleasant? Of course not-but it is not the government's place to regulate such things.

Spoken word is a bit more complicated. Take Fred Phelps and his group for instance. His mere words can actually incite violent behavior.
Racial slurs, dependent on how they are used can be construed that way as well, as inciting violence.

JustineCredible said:
Spoken word is a bit more complicated. Take Fred Phelps and his group for instance. His mere words can actually incite violent behavior.
Racial slurs, dependent on how they are used can be construed that way as well, as inciting violence.

I'm a big advocate of personal responsibility. People have as choice as to how they are going to react to things. If you chose to react violently because someone called you a nasty name, that is YOUR problem, no theirs.

26 X World Champs said:
I find it very interesting that people get their panties in a bunch over a symbolic act like this, or not standing up for the Pledge of Allegiance, yet they have no problem with government sanctioned torture or denying people due process or freedom of speech.

Polisstat-s.gif

Yeah...& people get their panties in a wad because someone might have flushed a Koran down the toilet & then they get so upset they go on a killing spree.

LaMidRighter said:
How many of those red flags with the little hammer & scithe have been waving about lately? Hmmmm? Maybe that's because that ideal just up and died. Buuuuurrrrrrnnnnn!

No, it's because the people of Eastern Europe were fooled into believing that giving up communism would bring great wealth, now look at Eastern Europe today, their worse off! Oh, BURN!

Soviet_Guy said:
No, it's because the people of Eastern Europe were fooled into believing that giving up communism would bring great wealth, now look at Eastern Europe today, their worse off! Oh, BURN!

I happen to see a show (about 2 or 3 years ago)...don't recall if it was on Discovery, TLC or PBS...but it took a look at Russia since the fall of the Soviet Union. There appeared to be two philosophies...1) were those who adapted to capitalism & were making great strides in life (financially speaking). They loved the freedom they had in discovering their very own earning potential. Noting that their new life & new freedom was not without flaws expressed how much better their lives have become because of the new found freedom. 2) were those who did not adapt to caring for themselves. they complained that no one was there to take care of them...that they were starving & kept reiterating the point that no one cared about them. They appeared to be advocating government dependency.

Hmm, uh huh...uh huh....oh......uh huh...hmmm....uh....yeah......

My statement to your response: CAPITALISM FAILED IN EASTERN EUROPE< FAILED!

In case you haven't heard, the bill passed in the House and on it's way to the Senate. :lol:

Soviet_Guy said:
Hmm, uh huh...uh huh....oh......uh huh...hmmm....uh....yeah......

My statement to your response: CAPITALISM FAILED IN EASTERN EUROPE< FAILED!

Communism was so successful that people were trying to defect/leave/escape from the Soviet Union...& where were they trying to go? Oh yeah, the USA. Much like today. People are leaving other countries to come here...not the other way around. Why do you suppose that is?

CAPITALISM!

Oh come on Soviet Guy, it's not so bad that the bill passed, you can still burn flags, just hopefully not "Old Glory" there are still a few things that have to be finalized, Congress was given the authority to make the act illegal because of this bill. By the way, if you feel so badly about not being able to burn an American flag don't worry, I hear those red ones are good substitutes. :mrgreen: :2usflag: :2funny:

Though it is a "Freedom of Expression" and so are the logos of "Kid peeing on (Logo)" Example

Now whether or not it should be tolerated and extinguished by law, is entirely up to who we voted to office. So I say "Leave it to the House and Congress". Because we voted them in to represent us.

Chances are though, it probably not become a law. :spin:

Where does "flag burning" usually take place? On private property? In a controlled situation?

NOPE!

It's usually in public...in a crowd...

let's see...starting a fire in a crowded public place...isn't there already a law against that?

Yuck, I hate leaving things up to Congress. They usually screw it up.

I am really going to have to agree with Soviet_Guy here, God help me. I DO NOT think that there should be a law against burning flags or even giving Congress the authority to outlaw flag-burning. Nobody said that freedom of expression was going to be pretty. I truly hope this bill dies, I think we could be opening a very unfortunate door here.

I don't know when we applied freedom of speech to inanimate objects. It isn't the same at all, so I hope it passes. It shows disrespect to our country, not a statement against a particular policy.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
let's see...starting a fire in a crowded public place...isn't there already a law against that?
If there were, wouldn't that make this one unnecessary redundant.

If burning the flag is a form of free speech, then kicking their ass is a form of mine.

There is absolutely no way I stand by and watch someone do that without running head first into the crowd. Exercising our rights should not entail abusing them and there is no way men in uniform should be protecting freedoms so that traitors can be allowed to do that. The ultimate insult to our country is delivered on a platter by our own Constitution. The founding father's had no idea that America would fall so far from grace that their Constitution would be so perverted.

Last edited:
Flag burning is a form of expression. People who do it are expressing dislike of their government. This is exactly what a big part of our First Amendment is about, to express our political dislikes.

Also, this amendment would be a law for the people. Our Constitution is not meant to prohibit the people from doing anything, it is meant to control our government. People who want it to pass have no real understanding of our Constitution.

Passing this amendment would be an abuse of our Constitution. The Senate will not allow it.

Last edited:
GySgt said:
If burning the flag is a form of free speech, then kicking their ass is a form of mine.

There is absolutely no way I stand by and watch someone do that without running head first into the crowd. Exercising our rights should not entail abusing them and there is no way men in uniform should be protecting freedoms so that traitors can be allowed to do that. The ultimate insult to our country is delivered on a platter by our own Constitution. The founding father's had no idea that America would fall so far from grace that their Constitution would be so perverted.
That should be exactly what you're protecting. Should only speech that you agree with be protected?

alex said:
Flag burning is a form of expression. People who do it are expressing dislike of their government. This is exactly what a big part of our First Amendment is about, to express our political dislikes.

Also, this amendment would be a law for the people. Our Constitution is not meant to prohibit the people from doing anything, it is meant to control our government.

Yep. And I thought the courts ruled years ago against laws regarding flag desecration, thought something about money was in there too? I think the same laws that allow other free expression covers this as well. I think anyone who burns a flag is a complete and utter moron who doesn't deserve the luxuries he or she is receiving just by living in this great country. And when they burn a flag it says a hell of a lot more about them then it does about the flag or our nation. But I think they have the right to do it. To me it's kind of a "I completely disagree with your words, but will defend your right to say them" type thing.

I also think Congress should find something better to do with their time then to spend it on such lame endeavors. To me it's a lot like the "freedom fries" issue. Congress should be working on our real problems instead of wasting their time on this.

Pacridge said:
I also think Congress should find something better to do with their time then to spend it on such lame endeavors. To me it's a lot like the "freedom fries" issue. Congress should be working on our real problems instead of wasting their time on this.
Well said! It's one of those distraction issues to get the public's focus away from the tough questions. It's pandering.

There are so many worthy causes that are ignored, but flag burning is an issue. Just ignore it and move on is how I look at it. I dislike it, but it doesn't keep me up at night.

Why not spend this valuable time on the environment, or education, or stem cell research?

What ever happened to live and let live?

Doesn't matter here in Canada or Europe so you U.S. loving ***** can go to hell! :soap

P.S. That's not an insult it's a pool of rage that's had a leak.

Back
Top Bottom