• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Flag-burning amendment

Should the US Constitution be amended to outlaw flag-burning?

• Total voters
Deegan said:
No, you just continue to dismiss emotion as a real motivating force behind intelligent discussion, that's what you're attempting to do, and you could not be more incorrect in that assumption!

That said, I have explained the logic, you just don't want to hear it. You don't control this conversation, and by your continued dismissive attitude, that emotion does not play any role in legislation, you continue to lose ground in this debate.

I am not saying that emotion can't be a factor in legislation. If it is the sole factor then the legislation is useless. You are putting words in my mouth. I already ate, thanks. You haven't shown any benefit for society. You have tried to distract from the issue and then say that I am belittling you. You also are giving me evidence of you losing ground. You have not given one logical reason how this will benefit society. The closest thing to it was people catching themselves or others on fire. This isn't unique to just flag burning. Let's have an amendment outlawing fire.:roll:

independent_thinker2002 said:
I am not saying that emotion can't be a factor in legislation. If it is the sole factor then the legislation is useless. You are putting words in my mouth. I already ate, thanks. You haven't shown any benefit for society. You have tried to distract from the issue and then say that I am belittling you. You also are giving me evidence of you losing ground. You have not given one logical reason how this will benefit society. The closest thing to it was people catching themselves or others on fire. This isn't unique to just flag burning. Let's have an amendment outlawing fire.:roll:

Hell yeah! Then people couldn't smoke either. Two birds with one stone. :lol:

Yes I have, you just refuse to acknowledge it.:roll:

I believe that you can have a BBQ in your backyard, and burn all the flags you want, just don't burn one in protest, and not in the space we all share. It's that simple, if you really want to burn one in protest, and you feel so strongly about it, then pay the price, don't be such a *****cat, accept the consequences for your actions.

Some girls want to show their ****, and they have that right, they may just have a price to pay for that. I may want to whip out my penis in a circle of friends, and show how I feel about the Congress, what a circle jerk huh? But again, there is a price to pay, this is not hard to understand, any child has already figured this out after the first slap on the hand.:confused:

Deegan said:
They most certainly did, they have stuck down the flag laws in 48, of the 50 states. It might not make sense to you, but when a court of 9 people decide for 300 million, you take the course our founding fathers gave us, and they are called amendments. That said, I didn't want it to come to this, but if the court feels that allowing the burning our flag is that important, I can certainly take up the cause just as vehemently.
You miss the point.

If SCOTUS has misinterpreted laws, fix that.

Don't just add to the power of government giving their misinterpretations even more power.

Be part of thge solution, not part of the problem.

zymurgy said:
You miss the point.

If SCOTUS has misinterpreted laws, fix that.

Don't just add to the power of government giving their misinterpretations even more power.

Be part of thge solution, not part of the problem.

You miss the point, amendments can be repealed, the court cannot. My point has always been to fire one over their bow, when they are dead and gone, then perhaps we can be more rational, but they are not listening to the people, and must be put in their place!

Kelzie said:
Hell yeah! Then people couldn't smoke either. Two birds with one stone. :lol:

How did I get this bullethole in my foot? :rofl

Deegan said:
Yes I have, you just refuse to acknowledge it.:roll:

I believe that you can have a BBQ in your backyard, and burn all the flags you want, just don't burn one in protest, and not in the space we all share. It's that simple, if you really want to burn one in protest, and you feel so strongly about it, then pay the price, don't be such a *****cat, accept the consequences for your actions.

Some girls want to show their ****, and they have that right, they may just have a price to pay for that. I may want to whip out my penis in a circle of friends, and show how I feel about the Congress, what a circle jerk huh? But again, there is a price to pay, this is not hard to understand, any child has already figured this out after the first slap on the hand.:confused:

Where is the logical benefit to society?

BTW, do you double as the pivotman?:2razz:

Where is the logical benefit to society?

BTW, do you double as the pivotman?:2razz:

It's logical to ask people to protest in a civil way, that there is no need to burn our flag to get a point across, and to put reasonable restrictions on expression. This is not hard to understand, but you continue to ask the same questions, it's become quite boring.

How did I get this bullethole in my foot? :rofl

There's a butthole in your foot?:confused:

Deegan said:
There's a butthole in your foot?:confused:

Dear Liza, dear Liza.........

Originally Posted by BodiSatva
Thank GOD that zymurgy is done!

Deegan and I have had our issues, but I am amazed at the ridiculousness of that "debate". Deegan, you played that game with him far too long.

To your above thread, Good point Deegan.

Originally Posted by zymurgy
Deegan is great at these childish games, but I never said I was done.

About 50% of the country votes in presidential elections.

It drops to 40% when it is not a presidential election.

Now Deegan's knowledge says that since 60 senators support this amendment, the majority of American's do as well.

Deegan is too ignorant to see the fallacy in his beliefs. You obviously are as well.

What in the hell are you talking about you little child!
You asked for polls and he gave you what he had and you started whining like a stuck pig.

It looked like you were done and I was glad. That is it. You are gonna start talking ignorance you freaking child? Ignorance is tossing out insults to a person for no viable reason. Ignorance is grouping people incorrectly. Ignorance is thinking that I give a crap about this stupid debate any more than wanting to see it gone. Ignorance is assuming that I agree with Deegan regarding the poll numbers…I don’t. I just thought you two going back and forth based off of your incessant b!tching about the polls had gone on long enough. Get it kiddo?

What beliefs had I conveyed to that point regarding this issue? NONE you Ignoramus.
That was pure genius on your part…hahaha…what a little brain you have!

I actually have found yet another lost soul that I dislike more than Deegan.
Amazing! Deegan, maybe you are so bad after all buddy.

BodiSatva said:
You asked for polls and he gave you what he had and you started whining like a stuck pig.

It looked like you were done and I was glad. That is it. You are gonna start talking ignorance you freaking child? Ignorance is tossing out insults to a person for no viable reason. Ignorance is grouping people incorrectly. Ignorance is thinking that I give a crap about this stupid debate any more than wanting to see it gone. Ignorance is assuming that I agree with Deegan regarding the poll numbers…I don’t. I just thought you two going back and forth based off of your incessant b!tching about the polls had gone on long enough. Get it kiddo?

What beliefs had I conveyed to that point regarding this issue? NONE you Ignoramus.

Moderator's Warning:

Wow, I could have sworn we were in the basement after that post! But I looked, and sure enough we are in the land of civility. Let's cool it, huh?

BodiSatva said:

I hope you feel better. :2wave:

As I said before...this nation should not even be discussing flag burning until the last flag draped coffin comes home from the middle east.

On a slightly related issue....I've heard before burning a flag, you should cut the union (stars) from the stripes. With these two separate pieces of cloth, it is no longer considered the American flag, and it can then be burned.

The flag should never be burned as a whole.

Anyone else ever hear this? Maybe it's just a state regulation for showing proper respect? This could have originated from the military, but I do remember this being the only proper way to dispose of our flag.

Hoot said:
As I said before...this nation should not even be discussing flag burning until the last flag draped coffin comes home from the middle east.

On a slightly related issue....I've heard before burning a flag, you should cut the union (stars) from the stripes. With these two separate pieces of cloth, it is no longer considered the American flag, and it can then be burned.

The flag should never be burned as a whole.

Anyone else ever hear this? Maybe it's just a state regulation for showing proper respect? This could have originated from the military, but I do remember this being the only proper way to dispose of our flag.

I've never heard that, but its possible it was some quirky law someplace. Among the many rules for showing respect for the flag is that it should not be cut or torn and when it becomes frayed and faded, it should be ceremonially burned in a respectful ceremony.

I think though, that the 'keepers of the flag' would have cheered after 9/11 when our Olympic team reverently marched with that explosion damaged flag from the World Trade Center. It is people who feel the tears well up and who show respect for things like that who keep this country great. And I think it is the perception of most of us that an honest American spirit prevails in spite of the hate filled anti-everything that is American and good types who burn that flag in protest.

It's a damned shame when people think an inanimate object deserves more respect than our fellow humans.:(

It's a damned shame when people think an inanimate object deserves more respect than our fellow humans.:(

Its even worse when people will protect that inanimate object instead of what it stands for.

Lachean said:
Its even worse when people will protect that inanimate object instead of what it stands for.

But the worst are those who think that people who respect the flag are doing it to protect an inanimate object.

i have a deep respect for this country, the flag and what america is beginning not to stand for anymore....

hey, i love the flag ....if you want to rip it to pieces thats your business, if I want to rip it to pieces thats MY business.....

i love this country, i do not however, care for this current administration...that doesnt make me unpatriotic....

we are an extremely watered down version of what we used to be.....like it or not , and i am old enough to remember...."truth,jusice and the American way....."" which happens to be going down the perverbial toilet at this moment.

jennyb said:
i have a deep respect for this country, the flag and what america is beginning not to stand for anymore....

hey, i love the flag ....if you want to rip it to pieces thats your business, if I want to rip it to pieces thats MY business.....

i love this country, i do not however, care for this current administration...that doesnt make me unpatriotic....

we are an extremely watered down version of what we used to be.....like it or not , and i am old enough to remember...."truth,jusice and the American way....."" which happens to be going down the perverbial toilet at this moment.

You are absolutely within your rights to rip the flag to pieces or disrespect it any way you like. And I am absolutely within my rights to thnk you are unworthy of respect as a patriotic American when you do that. I think patriotic Americans don't base thier patriotism or their appreciation for their country or respect for its symbols based on who happens to be in power in Washington at the time. So I truly hope you would never burn a flag in protest.

Last edited:
AlbqOwl said:
You are absolutely within your rights to rip the flag to pieces or disrespect it any way you like. And I am absolutely within my rights to thnk you are unworthy of respect as a patriotic American when you do that. I think patriotic Americans don't base thier patriotism or their appreciation for their country or respect for its symbols based on who happens to be in power in Washington at the time. So I truly hope you would never burn a flag in protest.

Ummmm....

Where did someone say they don't like America anymore because the GOP is in power????

Im lost?!?!?

If you want to burn a flag I think you should be able to burn a flag, but if you hate america so much that you burns its flag then why in the world do you live here? Why do you live in a country that gives you so many freedoms and then you piss on its history. It shows disrespect for every person that fought for our independence and every man that signed the declaration of independence. And if you can't find a more creative way to protest the government just join the terrorists, you both seem like you want to do the same thing (burn the american flag and american way of life). You can burn it if you want to, but I don't know why you would.

And out of those 15-20 american citizens that burned a flag this year how many of them were way left liberals?

Mixed View said:
And out of those 15-20 american citizens that burned a flag this year how many of them were way left liberals?

I dunno.
Do you?
Does it matter?
Does it change the fact that flags were burned?
Who cares?
Do you?
Why should you care?

AlbqOwl said:
But the worst are those who think that people who respect the flag are doing it to protect an inanimate object.

Burning an inanimate object does not affect the things the object symbolized. Does losing a wedding ring annul a marriage? Don't you understand that once you force people to respect something that it truly isn't worthy of respect. We only have to look back at recent history to see our enemies take nationalism to such an extreme. I thought we were better than that.

You can't force love. You can't teach love. Either people love our country for it's freedom and opportunity or they don't. Laws restricting freedoms surely won't help the cause.

Back
Top Bottom