• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FL state GOP gutting UZ CITIZEN Healthcare and blaming the ACA

I guess you don't like the fact that the public hates Obamacare.

You want to fix this, lift the restrictions on cross state sales of medical insurance. Make the insurance companies compete nation wide. And get rid of Obamacare.

You want to fix this, lift the restrictions on cross state sales of medical insurance. Make the insurance companies compete nation wide. And get rid of Obamacare.

What is the restriction that prevents "cross state sales of medical insurance"?

What is the restriction that prevents "cross state sales of medical insurance"?

Medical insurance is regulated at the state level. Most states will only allow coverage from companies that reside in your state. Companies can operate in more then one state however many chose not to do so largely due to each state having varying regulations making it more difficult for a single entity to operate in several states.

Medical insurance is regulated at the state level. Most states will only allow coverage from companies that reside in your state. Companies can operate in more then one state however many chose not to do so largely due to each state having varying regulations making it more difficult for a single entity to operate in several states.

Exactly!!

That's why I was asking what "restrictions" needed to be lifted. :)

I'm all for allowing insurance companies to compete nation wide, but I couldn't help notice that you post your lean as a Libertarian - Right. Generally people with that lean believe strongly in individual states rights. Allowing insurance companies to compete between states could only be done if we restricted states from establishing their own insurance and healthcare regulations.

Yup. Just adding on to that a little, many insurance companies will actually set-up seperately incorporated branches in multible states, and puting a state headquarter in each state that they operate. This way each state has it's only fairly autonomous division, which can concentrate just on that state and meeting the regulations for that state. There are also other industries which have to do the same thing.

I used to be a huge supporter of states rights, but because of nonsense like this, I now believe that most industries should not be regulated by the states, and should be regulated by the federal government (or better yet, just have fewer regulations). Right now, many industries have to meet one set of regulations for the federal guberment, then a whole other set for their state. States rights often result in double regulatory burden.

Exactly!!

That's why I was asking what "restrictions" needed to be lifted. :)

That "restriction" that needs to be lifted really wouldn't be a "restriction", it would be removing individual states right to regulate industry. I'm all for that. We are one country, and our industry regulations should be standardized between the states.

Now all that said, our healthcare crises really has little to do with individual states being able to regulate insurance companies. Insurance isn't the cure to our healthcare crises, it's the cause of our healthcare crises. Healthcare should be treated like any other industry, and healthcare providers should have to compete based upon price and service, with the individual customer making the choice of what services they purchase from what providers.

In my fantasy world, I would love to see billboards advertising medical services. Like Hospital A having an advertising campaign promoting them for having the lost price cardiac center, then maybe Hospital B advertising that they have the best quality care, and hospital C advertising that they provide the best value for the money.

Can you imagine how much cheaper and more efficient health care would be if Doctors offices published their prices on their websites? I picture something like this "Come to Dr. Bobs, we only charge $25 for a basic visit, and all shots are $15 or less". Or "xrays for just $42.50 each at Dr. Bills". Or "Need a new script for your bloodpressure medication? Bloodpresure evaluations starting at just $9.95"

It's only when someone else pays, like your employer or your insurance company, that you don't care about price. And that is the point that we are at today, as consumers, as long as most of us have low deductable insurance with set copays, we could care less how much a provider charges.

What if we all had gasoline insurance that had a $15 copay? We would care less how bad the gas stations were ripping off our insurance companies. And insurance companies actually LIKE high prices. the higher the price for whatever they are insuring, the more value that the customer sees in the insurance, and the more $$$ a customer is willing to pay for the insurance.

Last edited:

This is so typical of the far left wrong that it's become a silly, pathetic cliché—put forth a set of policies that can rationally only ever be expected to cause more problems while utterly failing to address the problems that they purport to address; and then when these policies do, in fact, cause the problems that any sane, rational person would have known that they would cause, blame those who opposed the policy for these problems.

I'm all for allowing insurance companies to compete nation wide, but I couldn't help notice that you post your lean as a Libertarian - Right. Generally people with that lean believe strongly in individual states rights. Allowing insurance companies to compete between states could only be done if we restricted states from establishing their own insurance and healthcare regulations.

I'm not hard right nor hard left I believe in a common sense approach to things. And common sense says let them compete in the marketplace and the condition to doing that is allowing them to compete nationally, or even internationally for that matter. Those who believe in the free market would agree with me.

Short sighted. If you do that, you'll have insurance companies setting up PO Box addresses in some nutter State so they can all game the system. You know....like Delaware does for corporations.

Choice......that nutter panacea......will be limited.

Short sighted. If you do that, you'll have insurance companies setting up PO Box addresses in some nutter State so they can all game the system. You know....like Delaware does for corporations.

Choice......that nutter panacea......will be limited.
So, and you'll have some that won't. It's called competition.

This is so typical of the far left wrong that it's become a silly, pathetic cliché—put forth a set of policies that can rationally only ever be expected to cause more problems while utterly failing to address the problems that they purport to address; and then when these policies do, in fact, cause the problems that any sane, rational person would have known that they would cause, blame those who opposed the policy for these problems.

Typical false logic and overall BS of the right.

Back
Top Bottom