• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fixing race issues?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The quote below was posted by someone that I do not know personally on a friend's Facebook thread regarding racism. The thread had to do with the recent shootings of two black men this week, and the thread and this quote were posted before the police shooting in Dallas (please keep the timing in mind).

I am posting it in it's entirety, and am including the personal information of the person they are quoting as that person is a public person at that university and this is already publicly known. I will not give the name of the person who quoted this.
From my friend Kendra Malone, who works in the Chief Diversity Office at the U of Iowa:

"My white loved ones-

1. It seems many of you are at a loss as to what to do. Rightfully so given systematic, intentional violence hurts us all. Yet racism will only end by your hands. Let's begin:
  2. Identify 10 of your white friends to invite to a gathering that you host. Prior to the gathering email each one of them an article to read regarding racial oppression. Preferably related to a topic relevant to the community you live in.
  3. Gather to discuss what you learned, your feelings and how your privilege contributes to racism and it's consequences.
  4. Pause, meditate, care for yourselves and each other, this is painful work.
  5. Create an action plan to include: a. Each 10 people will contact 10 more people to call your local chief of police to inquire about about policies and practices the department has related to bias and antiblackness. Ask for documentation. B. Call your mayor and Governor asking for city/state efforts. C. Write an op-ed to several local papers about what you found out.
  6. Donate your time and/or money to community groups that do this work everyday.
  7. Repeat MONTHLY with 10 new people.
  8. Share your work. Invite your people to do the same.
  9. Remember it's up to you. Racism is a white people problem. You must be the ones to fix it."
Does anything jump out at you?

For the most part, I was ok with it. There was one thing that slightly annoyed me, and one thing that angered me... angered me to the point that I feel the need to create this thread and see what others think.

I will be up front and say that I am purposely withholding what angered me for the moment, as I don't want reactions to my thoughts, I want reactions to the quote. I will join in soon and give my take.

The quote below was posted by someone that I do not know personally on a friend's Facebook thread regarding racism. The thread had to do with the recent shootings of two black men this week, and the thread and this quote were posted before the police shooting in Dallas (please keep the timing in mind).

I am posting it in it's entirety, and am including the personal information of the person they are quoting as that person is a public person at that university and this is already publicly known. I will not give the name of the person who quoted this.

For the most part, I was ok with it. There was one thing that slightly annoyed me, and one thing that angered me... angered me to the point that I feel the need to create this thread and see what others think.

I will be up front and say that I am purposely withholding what angered me for the moment, as I don't want reactions to my thoughts, I want reactions to the quote. I will join in soon and give my take.

#3 and #9 jump out. Mostly #3 and my white privilege. Pisses me off, frankly. Not something I would EVER do.

So basically she's blaming all white people for the actions of a few officers.

It assumes I'm privileged, solely based on my skin color and assumes racism is a White issue.
This person is likely a bigot and should not really be taken seriously.

She is a racist pure and simple.

"Racism is a white people problem" is a racist statement. Racism is a human problem.

call your local chief of police to inquire about about policies and practices the department has related to bias and antiblackness.

This is hilarious, what an idiot.

Should have stayed segregated.

#3 and #9 says more about the issue, than anything else. IMO, this is an indicator of the coordinated effort underway to create division and animosity among citizens. It seeks to deflect necessary introspection and create a false target that only the "coordinators" can overcome, if given the power.

That should make everyone angry to see evidence of such arrogance and willful manipulation.

I was fine with the suggestions in the list until number 9, then I knew the writer themselves has an issue that needs to be addressed.

a. Each 10 people will contact 10 more people to call your local chief of police to inquire about about policies and practices the department has related to bias and antiblackness. Ask for documentation.

Gonna go against the herd here and hazard a guess that this is what angered you:confused:

9. Remember it's up to you. Racism is a white people problem. You must be the ones to fix it."

This is ****ing stupid. Racism knows no color.

Just an FYI you might want to censor the name and job

You are friends with this bigoted individual? That's what jumps out at me.

This is a major problem in furthering racial division in this country. People like this sit there and put all the blame on their misfortune on white people...and not specific white people, but all of white people. That is the very definition of racism, and it's hard then to convince somebody receiving prejudice to change their ways whether it's true or not. Just like it's hard to sit there and expect a black person who is perceived as a criminal to change their ways as well whether it's true or not. It's a never ending cycle and it only gets worse by the inaction of our leadership and instigation of our media.

Something really does have to change, or racial division is only going to get much worse. People of all races need to learn to not put a label on a demographic for the actions of a few, because all it seems to lead to is death.

Should have stayed segregated.

Yes, SOME people probably should stay segregated, from all the rest of society, hopefully not breeding.

Nothings gonna happen without both sides coming to the table. Kind of hard to offer an olive branch and receive resentment back.

Victim Complex Checklist

Do you suspect that somebody you know has a victim complex? Here's a checklist to find out the truth. If the person's behavior satisfies most of the criteria, you know what to do.
Attributes most or all of his/her failures to events beyond their control
Believes that the world, or a large group of people, are actively working to oppress them
Is disliked by numerous people, all of whom allegedly 'misunderstand' the person in question
Considers any challenge to their worldview a personal attack
Attributes any sort of (perceived) negative action against him/her to prejudice
Unable to accept criticism
Centers his/her identity around a cause (e.g. feminism, atheism, gay rights)
Crumbles under any form of pressure and is co-dependent as a result
Driven by attention and uses activism to draw attention to themselves
Emotionally manipulative and convinces others that they've been born into oppression.
Repeatedly writes to the government for assistance

I could give a rats azz if a minority doesn't like me because because I am white. I will continue to treat every stranger with courtesy and respect, regardless of color, ethnicity, and sexuality.

I they don't like me.......... it's on them. My happy azz will be down the road 5 minutes later anyways, while they remain there miserable with their own hate.

Back
Top Bottom