• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Five Reasons (Some) Cops Want Marijuana Legalized

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
As the general public begins to accept the idea of legalized marijuana we see many cops begin to either realize legalization is best policy, or concede that they are fighting a lost cause.

Most people don't think "cops" when they think about who supports marijuana legalization. Police are, after all, the ones cuffing stoners, and law enforcement groups have a long history of lobbying against marijuana policy reform. Many see this as a major factor in preventing the federal government from recognizing that a historic majority of Americans – 52 percent – favors legalizing weed.

But the landscape is changing fast. Today, a growing number of cops are part of America's "marijuana majority." Members of the non-profit group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) say that loosening our pot policy wouldn't necessarily condone drug use, but control it, while helping cops to achieve their ultimate goal of increasing public safety. Here are the five biggest reasons why even cops are starting to say, "Legalize It!"

Five Reasons Cops Want to Legalize Weed | Politics News | Rolling Stone

How do DEA agents feel about it?

One of the reasons why cops want pot legalized is so as they could worry about more severe crimes (see OP's link). By logic then the DEA may also want to be worried about more severe drug related crimes such as addictive drugs instead of pot.

I would think DEA would want to keep it illegal for completely selfish job-security reasons. Their opinion can't be trusted. Police officers won't suffer cutbacks due to legalization, they'll just get to focus on the real crimes.

They probably feel they may be out a job soon. But at least most police officers will still be able to go after real crimes.

DEA would still have everything other than marijuana with which to deal. I imagine even they see MJ as a petty problem and wish they could concentrate on meth, which is an extremely serious problem in many places in the U.S.

DEA would still have everything other than marijuana with which to deal. I imagine even they see MJ as a petty problem and wish they could concentrate on meth, which is an extremely serious problem in many places in the U.S.

Yet it still makes up for a rather large portion of their work. I can't help but think that they would fear cutbacks as a result.

All five reasons that the Rolling Stones article gives are good ones. A person can go in to a state liquor store and purchase something that is abused probably more than marijuana and could kill them in one night if used wantonly. Tax it and sell it. :shrug:

However many conscientious DEA agents there might be, there might be none at all, would be supportive of LEAP.

I am not a cop or DEA agent, but I've supported the organization since it began some years back. We just had one of its speakers spend about a week in town addressing various organizations such as Rotary, and since he was a black police officer, various groups in the black community here.

Honest and principled men and women know that prohibition harms society and makes their profession look bad. That's why they've "come out" against prohibition. Sadly, for many younger officers, coming out thusly will not contribute points towards career advancement.

I would think DEA would want to keep it illegal for completely selfish job-security reasons. Their opinion can't be trusted. Police officers won't suffer cutbacks due to legalization, they'll just get to focus on the real crimes.

I believe that, deep down, this is really the core reason for most of them.

All five reasons that the Rolling Stones article gives are good ones. A person can go in to a state liquor store and purchase something that is abused probably more than marijuana and could kill them in one night if used wantonly. Tax it and sell it. :shrug:

It would be a great source of revenue but then politicians will have access to even more taxpayer contributions they can squander.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062009988 said:
It would be a great source of revenue but then politicians will have access to even more taxpayer contributions they can squander.

Then do something about squandering profits. Do not destroy people's lives over something relatively harmless to keep a few people from having some extra money to piss away. At least recognize that right now those same politicians are squandering your taxes on a war that empowers the drug cartels and that if you legalized it you would save some of that money while actually getting money from drug users to pay for areas where they squander your personal taxes on something you probably do not use.

As an ex-cop, and one who while I was on the force didn't give a **** about marijuana, I particularly agree with #1 and #3 in this list.

Prohibition might well be the single biggest waste of time, money, and resources in the world and fosters a culture that generously rewards some of the nastiest moral cretins in society. And I don't just mean pot- I mean all drugs. Make 'em all legal but don't allow any advertising, that's my thinking.

Prohibition might well be the single biggest waste of time, money, and resources in the world and fosters a culture that generously rewards some of the nastiest moral cretins in society. And I don't just mean pot- I mean all drugs. Make 'em all legal but don't allow any advertising, that's my thinking.

They already don't allow advertising of cigarettes.......

While, while they may cause health problems, they don't cause people to go out and act ****ing stupid....

Personally, I don't see why we still allow alcohol advertising.

On second thought, there's some pretty morally bankrupt people in the legitimate drug companies, too, so not much would change.

They already don't allow advertising of cigarettes.......

While, while they may cause health problems, they don't cause people to go out and act ****ing stupid....

Personally, I don't see why we still allow alcohol advertising.

I don't either. It's a drug, ain't it, and there's not much that's more annoying than a beer commercial.

I don't either. It's a drug, ain't it, and there's not much that's more annoying than a beer commercial.

If I hear Beer referred to as "Refreshing" one more time.... Im going to scream.

When I think of the term "Refreshing" I think of things that rehydrate you and replenish your body with the **** it needs.

I don't think of something that robs your body of hydration making you more likely to pass out in the southern heat.

Nervous, maybe? Frankly, the DEA should be dissolved. Yes, it would mean all those people would need to look for new work but we shouldn't keep things illegal for the sole purpose of keeping law enforcement and prison officials employed. I have the utmost respect for doctors, but if we could cure all disease we should, even it if would mean putting many/most doctors out of work.

Nervous, maybe? Frankly, the DEA should be dissolved. Yes, it would mean all those people would need to look for new work but we shouldn't keep things illegal for the sole purpose of keeping law enforcement and prison officials employed. I have the utmost respect for doctors, but if we could cure all disease we should, even it if would mean putting many/most doctors out of work.

LOL....

Why do you think we ain't cured **** since Polio?

LOL....

Why do you think we ain't cured **** since Polio?

I can see how someone woud buy that with regards to pharmaceutical companies, but not with universities and their research scientists. You don't think a scientist or university would jump at the chance for a nobel prize for curing cancer?*

*I do realize there will never be A cure for cancer as it isn't one single disease.

I can see how someone woud buy that with regards to pharmaceutical companies, but not with universities and their research scientists. You don't think a scientist or university would jump at the chance for a nobel prize for curing cancer?*

*I do realize there will never be A cure for cancer as it isn't one single disease.

But millions of dollars in STFU money might be better........especially after gruesome threats are made against them and their family if they think of not taking it...

Yes... when it comes to me and anything dealing with pharmaceutical companies and the practice of medicine.... I am a huge conspiracy theorist.

Back
Top Bottom