• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Five of eight minority NFL coaches fired

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
"Not a good look for diversity today in the NFL,” NFL Network’s Jim Trotter tweeted on Tuesday. "In 2006, when Commissioner Goodell was hired, there were seven minority coaches and four minority general managers. Today there are three minority HCs and 1 minority GM after Ozzie (Newsome) retires.”

The NFL parted ways with five African American coaches this season — Hue Jackson (Cleveland), Lewis (Cincinnati), Todd Bowles (New York Jets), Steve Wilks (Arizona) and Vance Joseph (Denver).

Two African American coaches remain in Anthony Lynn — of the playoff-bound Los Angeles Chargers — and Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin who has a Super Bowl to his name.

Carolina Panthers Coach Ron Rivera, who is Latino, is the only other minority head coach.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ny-for-lack-of-minority-coaches-idUSKCN1OV1CQ

Does this mean that the NFL's effort to get teams to hire not white coaches has run into the problem of there being not enough not white men qualified for the job? I note that 3/5 teams that fired not white coaches this year are weak franchises....did they cave to NFL pressure and not hire the best man for the job?

This is interesting, and is a massive topic of conversation in the internet.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ny-for-lack-of-minority-coaches-idUSKCN1OV1CQ

Does this mean that the NFL's effort to get teams to hire not white coaches has run into the problem of there being not enough not white men qualified for the job? I note that 3/5 teams that fired not white coaches this year are weak franchises....did they cave to NFL pressure and not hire the best man for the job?

I guess we should determine if non-white (losing record?) coaches are fired at a higher rate than white (losing record) coaches are. The problem with many racial "disparate outcome" observations is that they often ignore any and all other variables. The main reason that a coach (or any other NFL team member/employee) is fired is apt to be that they did not meet the expectations of the team owner or their immediate supervisor (who may then relay that fact to the team owner).

Liberal assholes and race baiters are the only ones who think that a black coach should keep his job on a losing team.

Liberal assholes and race baiters are the only ones who think that a black coach should keep his job on a losing team.

I am more wondering if black men were hired who never should have been hired because they were not the best man for the job due to NFL pressure for "diversity". Is this a parallel to Canada's Trudeau demanding that women make up half the cabinet when they only make up 20% of the MP's so we can be very confident that some of the women picked were picked over more qualified men due to the quota? The NFL does not have a quota I know but they keep yapping about the need to hire minorities till they get the rainbow that they want, so it is sort of the same.

I wonder if weak franchises are weak due to weak leadership, and I suspect that weak leadership would be willing to hire a second or third rate coach because they have the genetics that the Head Office is advocating the hiring of.

Or maybe this is just bad luck for the Equity Left?

Last edited:

Teams want to win. This is a multi0BILLION dollar industry and if they can hire a pink woman midget with a tail to help them win a super bowl... they will.

Teams want to win. This is a multi0BILLION dollar industry and if they can hire a pink woman midget with a tail to help them win a super bowl... they will.

Well fans tend to demand that they at least look like they are trying to win....

I cant see anything the Commish can do other than issue yet another "This is not acceptable!" lecture to the team principals......

Imagine the greatness that could be achieved by 1 more year of Marvin Lewis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so tired of "diversity" issues in professional sports. The press should quit the diversity rant when someone is fired or let go. Maybe the NFL needs more "white guys" playing. Or should it be more Hispanics since that is a growing population in the US.

My take. Hire the best you can get. Race should not matter nor be a consideration in hiring.

Do the Bengals want to win?

Race had no factor. It's standard for coaches who do terrible jobs during a season to get the axe.
It's just a coincidence that most of them this time around were Black.

This is just being kicked around by some outside agitator who wants to cause a problem.

Did the Lions fire Patricia? As long as that clown remains head coach, I'd say that firing any black coach is racism.

Did the Lions fire Patricia? As long as that clown remains head coach, I'd say that firing any black coach is racism.

You would have a better argument if all of these people did not work for different probably billionaires.

Racists dont generally get to be Billionaires in Peak Victim Culture.

And they do what works...they learned that at some point.

You would have a better argument if all of these people did not work for different probably billionaires.

Racists dont generally get to be Billionaires in Peak Victim Culture.

And they do what works...they learned that at some point.

There are lots of racist billionaires what are you talking about

I think the W-L record speaks for itself.

I think the W-L record speaks for itself.

Not really.....not when blacks are failing in the job at a much higher rate than whites this year....this cant be ignored.....there might be something interesting happening here.

recently fired Marvin Lewis of the Bungles had the longest tenure of any coach in Bengals history. He also failed-in 16 years to win a SINGLE PLAYOFF game. He was retained far longer, I believe, than any coach with his lack of success in the post season. RACE had nothing to do with his firing

Do the Bengals want to win?

Good question-I think Mike Brown wants to make money. There was a spoof of him using some cartoon characters-of him talking to the steelers owner, where he "proved"being a loser was more lucrative than winning like the steelers do.

How is race relevant in comparison to their records??? For that matter how is race relevant to white coaches records?

Vance Joseph was 11-21 with one of the better defenses in the NFL. I dont care who you are or what race you are...11-21 isnt going to make it in the NFL. The team didnt get better this year...they got worse.

Not really.....not when blacks are failing in the job at a much higher rate than whites this year....this cant be ignored.....there might be something interesting happening here.

So you think blacks are inferior when it comes to coaching? Hmmm...

I am investigating...I have made no determinations at this time.

Your comments paint a pretty obvious picture. Plenty of coaches get fired in the NFL every year.

Your comments paint a pretty obvious picture. Plenty of coaches get fired in the NFL every year.

I know...an open minded guy who is after the truth....one who does not assume that the prevailing cultures dogma reflects reality.

recently fired Marvin Lewis of the Bungles had the longest tenure of any coach in Bengals history. He also failed-in 16 years to win a SINGLE PLAYOFF game. He was retained far longer, I believe, than any coach with his lack of success in the post season. RACE had nothing to do with his firing

The city and players loved Marvin Lewis and I can see why because he is one of the truly nice people in this world.

He had his run and was fairly judged.

Back
Top Bottom