• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Five Broken Cameras

oneworld2

Handsome Pitbull
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Five Broken Cameras

Five Broken Cameras is a documentary film made over 5 years by Palestinian farmer Emad Burnat and edited by Israeli Guy Davidi and chronicles the non violent resistance to illegal Israeli settlement building near the Palestinian West Bank village of Bil'in.

The story starts with the birth of Emads 4th son Gibreel that coincides with the erection of an Israeli fence near the village that is there to protect an illegal Israeli settlement expansion and charts the development of Gibreel against the backdrop of the conflict between the villagers and the IDF.

Every Friday the villagers march to a rallying point just outside the village and protest the Israeli fence and the settlement building in a none violent resistance fashion. We meet the characters involved and their fate over a 5 year period and the effects these events have on the villagers themselves

It captures the sadness felt in the village when the Israeli attack on Gaza in 2007/8 takes place against a backdrop of Emads return from an Israeli hospital after a road accident

It's an amazing piece of work and shows what life is like for Palestinians suffering illegal settlement and military occupation in the West Bank

[video=youtube;rH_d_L33V2s] https://www.youtube.com/watch?rH_d_L33V2s[/video]

Five Broken Cameras

Five Broken Cameras is a documentary film made over 5 years by Palestinian farmer Emad Burnat and edited by Israeli Guy Davidi and chronicles the non violent resistance to illegal Israeli settlement building near the Palestinian West Bank village of Bil'in.

The story starts with the birth of Emads 4th son Gibreel that coincides with the erection of an Israeli fence near the village that is there to protect an illegal Israeli settlement expansion and charts the development of Gibreel against the backdrop of the conflict between the villagers and the IDF.

Every Friday the villagers march to a rallying point just outside the village and protest the Israeli fence and the settlement building in a none violent resistance fashion. We meet the characters involved and their fate over a 5 year period and the effects these events have on the villagers themselves

It captures the sadness felt in the village when the Israeli attack on Gaza in 2007/8 takes place against a backdrop of Emads return from an Israeli hospital after a road accident

It's an amazing piece of work and shows what life is like for Palestinians suffering illegal settlement and military occupation in the West Bank

[video=youtube;rH_d_L33V2s] https://www.youtube.com/watch?rH_d_L33V2s[/video]

oneworld2:

I will watch the film in full tomorrow morning and then comment.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

oneworld2:

I will watch the film in full tomorrow morning and then comment.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

It's not an easy watch bit is worth sticking with imo

I think anyone who wishes to comment on the conditions the Palestinians are forced to endure ,living under illegal occupation and illegal settlement building, should be compelled to watch it especially those who seek to defend those things .They should be forced to watch that which they openly support and defend.

My guess is that the vast majority of them will choose not to , wishing to maintain their positions of support without having to endure the ugly reality of it on screen

The point of this thread was to at least give everybody here the opportunity so they cannot rely on any future plausible deniability

I would love to read your comments on it

oneworld2:

It took me a little longer than I expected to finish watching the film.

My goodness it is something to behold. The relentless oppression and brutality of occupation and the lawlessness of the IDF, the construction companies and Jewish settlers is made so clear by the film. Five years and so much suffering in order to act on an Israeli court order to take down the fence and in the interim the building of an equally illegal wall; unbelievable for a country that claims adherence to the rule of law.

For me the most unbearable moment was when Emad filmed the burning olive trees allegedly set ablaze by the adjacent Israeli settlers who were and still are encroaching on Bil'in land. Other low points were the almost regular fatal shootings by Israeli soldiers and snipers of the young men and children of Bil'in. Finally an acknowledgement to Emad's wife, who kept the family going when Emad was either arrested or in hospital; she is the true heroine of the story.

An outstanding film which all who would comment on the I/P forum should watch in full before posting, regardless of their alignment on the I/P dispute and occupation.

Thank you for posting this oneworld2.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

oneworld2:

It took me a little longer than I expected to finish watching the film.

My goodness it is something to behold. The relentless oppression and brutality of occupation and the lawlessness of the IDF, the construction companies and Jewish settlers is made so clear by the film. Five years and so much suffering in order to act on an Israeli court order to take down the fence and in the interim the building of an equally illegal wall; unbelievable for a country that claims adherence to the rule of law.

For me the most unbearable moment was when Emad filmed the burning olive trees allegedly set ablaze by the adjacent Israeli settlers who were and still are encroaching on Bil'in land. Other low points were the almost regular fatal shootings by Israeli soldiers and snipers of the young men and children of Bil'in. Finally an acknowledgement to Emad's wife, who kept the family going when Emad was either arrested or in hospital; she is the true heroine of the story.

An outstanding film which all who would comment on the I/P forum should watch in full before posting, regardless of their alignment on the I/P dispute and occupation.

Thank you for posting this oneworld2.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

It's a magnificant piece of work alright and thx for taking the time to watch it and comment

When you are shown the reality of the occupation it is both breathtaking in its audacity and soul destroying at a human level. For me the most troubling aspect was that the kids are , and can only be , completely consumed by it.

Also, if that is how none violent protest is treated it's no wonder we see so many Palestinians deaths as a result

I agree that Emad's wife was a heroine throughout and fully understand her constant requests for him to stop filming

Finally , having watched the documentary in full I couldn't help but think about that thread you put up here regarding the Israeli wishes/workings towards the restrictions on those prepared to film events there and how crucial it is to preventing awareness of the reality of life for Palestinians

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and apologies for trauma endured during the viewing

The only protection I can offer him, is to allow him to see everything with his own eyes so he can understand just how vulnerable life really is. (Something pretty close to that anyway.)

I watched it some time ago.

I found certain parts distressing. I'll just leave it at that. It's beyond obvious it is unlikely there will be peace there. The cycle will continue. I'm not interested in discussing the specifics here. Watch it and come to your own conclusions.

The only protection I can offer him, is to allow him to see everything with his own eyes so he can understand just how vulnerable life really is. (Something pretty close to that anyway.)

I watched it some time ago.

I found certain parts distressing. I'll just leave it at that. It's beyond obvious it is unlikely there will be peace there. The cycle will continue. I'm not interested in discussing the specifics here. Watch it and come to your own conclusions.

Sometimes things happen unexpectedly and what seems entrenched unravels with surprising rapidity. I'm sure you can think of some yourself

Let's try and keep hope alive although I understand your pessimism

What's absolutely stark about this thread is the complete absence of the " pro Israel " group , as they like to refer to themselves

Is it a case that abstinence will help keep this damning evidence of the IDF and Israels treatment of Palestinians and especially the violent suppression of none violent protests ?

The silence is both deafening and enlightening at the same time

Back
Top Bottom