• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fiscal Responsibility Discussion

grainbelt

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Is this election and pursuant term a chance for democrats to win on the fiscal responsibility issue, and bring in a new voting group?

Lately, Republicans have abandoned the fiscal responsibility aspect of their conservatism shtick. But they still love endless tax cut and deregulation, leading to deficits skyrocketing from day 1 of the trump era and GOP Congress. This is the exact opposite of responsibility and I've seen the complaints from the sane right wing about it. They want a change.

ObamaBiden oversaw (with the forced help of the GOP congress) some good reductions in the annual budget deficit and in number of regulations. He also didnt have major tax increases - aca had some associated tax. So we know it's possible for democrats to play ball on this issue, even though they are not known for fiscal responsibility.

For me personally, fiscal responsibility is a no brainer. I dont understand why we stand for such poor planning and easy borrowing leading to inefficiency and unfairly passed debt for future Americans - also unfairly hogged gains and winnings by the top businesses and earners. The federal government has become a pork barrel for the big businesses and I can only assume a joke to the rich who are easily shielding their earnings or leveraging their wealth for favorable governance. This is ugly. It's not a system that I, a center left leaner, can stand behind, and I also dont think its sustainable.

I support some incentivization by the government to spur growth or innovation in certain markets. It should be limited, though, not a buffet for the piggies to line up and suck the teet permanently. Public needs like clean energy, health care, clean air and water, safe food, and yes defense are areas where carefully targeted support may bring valuable results. Things that will help us all individually and our society as a whole. However, subsidizing fossil fuels? Is insane. Endless 0% lending? Insane. Subsidizing basically any conglomerate business? Insanse and competition killing. Going into debt to do any of the above unless we are in an economic crisis like covid? INSANE.

What would it take for democrats to go for this issue and is it possible in the current situation? The big stimulus following covid will be tagged to trump and GOP senate. Perhaps the dems can pitch some plans, sell reducing the deficit, and also aim for reducing the total debt with some long term plans.

What could they even compromise on? What can be cut feasibly without losing other voting blocks or hurting our country's position or recovery? On the other side, taxes will have to go up. If the GOP disagree they are lieing or delusional, because this isnt sustainable and even a simple minded person should be able to understand that you cant cut taxes endlessly. But on who and how do you increase tax without hurting recovery?

Keep in mind that we still need to pass an infrastructure bill with sizable funding among other things.

Imo, one of the best savings opportunities would be in incentivizing healthy lifestyles and bringing down the national obesity rate. Also incentivizing moderation and treatment in the controlled substances. The societal costs associated to these areas are huge. Obesity leads to the top 2 or 3 causes of death which all have huge costs associated to them as they progress.

What do you all think is possible? What are the criticisms of my assumptions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been trying since he passed his tax cut to get people on board on this issue, but it seems they are only interested in bashing and saying, "All bad and no good." Or, "All good and no bad." And having their team win.

Look, if money is all that a matters, as it is to a shark, then what are we doing to our collective pocketbook by fiscal irresponsibility?

Is this election and pursuant term a chance for democrats to win on the fiscal responsibility issue, and bring in a new voting group?

Lately, Republicans have abandoned the fiscal responsibility aspect of their conservatism shtick. But they still love endless tax cut and deregulation, leading to deficits skyrocketing from day 1 of the trump era and GOP Congress. This is the exact opposite of responsibility and I've seen the complaints from the sane right wing about it. They want a change.

ObamaBiden oversaw (with the forced help of the GOP congress) some good reductions in the annual budget deficit and in number of regulations. He also didnt have major tax increases - aca had some associated tax. So we know it's possible for democrats to play ball on this issue, even though they are not known for fiscal responsibility.

For me personally, fiscal responsibility is a no brainer. I dont understand why we stand for such poor planning and easy borrowing leading to inefficiency and unfairly passed debt for future Americans - also unfairly hogged gains and winnings by the top businesses and earners. The federal government has become a pork barrel for the big businesses and I can only assume a joke to the rich who are easily shielding their earnings or leveraging their wealth for favorable governance. This is ugly. It's not a system that I, a center left leaner, can stand behind, and I also dont think its sustainable.

I support some incentivization by the government to spur growth or innovation in certain markets. It should be limited, though, not a buffet for the piggies to line up and suck the teet permanently. Public needs like clean energy, health care, clean air and water, safe food, and yes defense are areas where carefully targeted support may bring valuable results. Things that will help us all individually and our society as a whole. However, subsidizing fossil fuels? Is insane. Endless 0% lending? Insane. Subsidizing basically any conglomerate business? Insanse and competition killing. Going into debt to do any of the above unless we are in an economic crisis like covid? INSANE.

What would it take for democrats to go for this issue and is it possible in the current situation? The big stimulus following covid will be tagged to trump and GOP senate. Perhaps the dems can pitch some plans, sell reducing the deficit, and also aim for reducing the total debt with some long term plans.

What could they even compromise on? What can be cut feasibly without losing other voting blocks or hurting our country's position or recovery? On the other side, taxes will have to go up. If the GOP disagree they are lieing or delusional, because this isnt sustainable and even a simple minded person should be able to understand that you cant cut taxes endlessly. But on who and how do you increase tax without hurting recovery?

Keep in mind that we still need to pass an infrastructure bill with sizable funding among other things.

Imo, one of the best savings opportunities would be in incentivizing healthy lifestyles and bringing down the national obesity rate. Also incentivizing moderation and treatment in the controlled substances. The societal costs associated to these areas are huge. Obesity leads to the top 2 or 3 causes of death which all have huge costs associated to them as they progress.

Youve got everything backwards.

1. tax cuts and regulation increased economic growth and revenue still went up
2. Biden did ****, and the GOP forced Obama to spending growth cuts, not the other way, after they all tripled spending and passed a massive health care bill which again tripled health care spending

Now you have a new list of things to do to hurt the economy and increase spending. EVEN more healthcare spending, free college, more infrastructure waste, and this green deal nonsense. No, no one believes the Dems will be fiscally responsible. At least with Republicans, they CAN be when it means opposing Dems.

If you want fiscal responsibility, put GOP in charge of congress and elect Harris to propose stuff for them to oppose. The major criticism here is out of control social spending. Dems wont do anything about it, and wont let anyone else touch it for fear of losing it as a wedge issue.

Youve got everything backwards.

1. tax cuts and regulation increased economic growth and revenue still went up
2. Biden did ****, and the GOP forced Obama to spending growth cuts, not the other way, after they all tripled spending and passed a massive health care bill which again tripled health care spending

Now you have a new list of things to do to hurt the economy and increase spending. EVEN more healthcare spending, free college, more infrastructure waste, and this green deal nonsense. No, no one believes the Dems will be fiscally responsible. At least with Republicans, they CAN be when it means opposing Dems.

If you want fiscal responsibility, put GOP in charge of congress and elect Harris to propose stuff for them to oppose. The major criticism here is out of control social spending. Dems wont do anything about it, and wont let anyone else touch it for fear of losing it as a wedge issue.

Revenue went up, but it was not keeping up with deficit and a lending bubble was forming.

Revenue went up, but it was not keeping up with deficit and a lending bubble was forming.

Are you talking about 00s or Trump? I was talking about Trump. Prior to pandemic, revenue had risen by about 200bn (at lower tax rates). Yes, spending had increased more which increases the deficit. To the OPs topic though, if you want to change this, elect Biden and kick Pelosi in her ass and put GOP back in charge of the House. GOP congress and Dem President conflict is best way to reduce spending growth.

i hate to break it to everyone, but Republicans abandoned fiscal responsibility decades and decades ago.

what they didn't abandon was selling that they're fiscally responsible. that worked.

If there is one thing we know of 100% absolutely for sure, it is that neither party is fiscally responsible.

If there is one thing we know of 100% absolutely for sure, it is that neither party is fiscally responsible.

Democrats have the proven track record of reducing deficits and handing over growing economies.

Are you talking about 00s or Trump? I was talking about Trump. Prior to pandemic, revenue had risen by about 200bn (at lower tax rates). Yes, spending had increased more which increases the deficit. To the OPs topic though, if you want to change this, elect Biden and kick Pelosi in her ass and put GOP back in charge of the House. GOP congress and Dem President conflict is best way to reduce spending growth.

Lets see what they do all Democrat.

"Possible" is too wide. It is possible that I throw a baseball at a wall and it materializes on the other side, but you could expect about 1 x 10^15 current universes to happen before that happens. This universe being ~1.543 x 10^10 and thats... (~1.543 x 10^10) ^ (1 x 10^15). Over a gogo, no? (Not the exact equation but I"m not pulling it ouf of my rear entirely)

Point being I don't think much is probable. Incremental shifts with every last tax-raiser voted out then countered with a tax-slasher. Supply side panders to the worst of human impulses: delayed pain for instant gratification).

Modern GOP tax policy had us bleeding 1 trillion a year in the "best economy ever." Biden, if he wins, will be handed a first year 4 TRILLION deficit, and the lying liars will lie, may they rot in hell.

The debate between "spending problem" and "revenue problem" is the sideshow, since neither party cares enough to override winning the next election. They will not fix spending, not without enough pressure, so any sane approach deals with revenue first. If the tax pain is too much once we pay for what we spend, then we will talk about it then. And if things are sane, then we'll have rational compromises about what to cut and where.

But people are not adults and things are not sane. I fear we're ****ed. Not right now. In 20 years, 40 years. Not now. And that's why this speed parade marches on and on.

Democrats have the proven track record of reducing deficits and handing over growing economies.

No they don't. That's hogwash. First of all, presidents don't have that much to do with the economy. Second of all, every time a Democrat has been president and the deficits were better off, Republicans were in control of Congress. But, here we have a Democratic party that while even Covid is going on, wants to add trillions onto the debt several different times due to the virus while also saying that they want MFA, reparations to slave descendants, forgiving of student loan debt, free college, infrastructure, and spending 93 trillion dollars on the Green New Deal.

No they don't. That's hogwash. First of all, presidents don't have that much to do with the economy. Second of all, every time a Democrat has been president and the deficits were better off, Republicans were in control of Congress. But, here we have a Democratic party that while even Covid is going on, wants to add trillions onto the debt several different times due to the virus while also saying that they want MFA, reparations to slave descendants, forgiving of student loan debt, free college, infrastructure, and spending 93 trillion dollars on the Green New Deal.

No, I've got to keep you off the moon, so by giving total control to the Democrats they can screw up the other way.

Reprobates already screwed up doing like GWB, so I don't need them anymore.

Really I hope for a better continuum, but so far I don't see it.

It's time to throw the car in reverse and use the rocking motion to go the other way before we have momentum to get out of the snowbank, we could have used the tax break for two years, but not at all, now you're spinning again and slid farther off the road of debt free.

No, I've got to keep you off the moon, so by giving total control to the Democrats they can screw up the other way.

Reprobates already screwed up doing like GWB, so I don't need them anymore.

Really I hope for a better continuum, but so far I don't see it.

It's time to throw the car in reverse and use the rocking motion to go the other way before we have momentum to get out of the snowbank, we could have used the tax break for two years, but not at all, now you're spinning again and slid farther off the road of debt free.

We have a Democratic party that while even Covid is going on, wants to add trillions onto the debt several different times due to the virus while also saying that they want MFA, reparations to slave descendants, forgiving of student loan debt, free college, infrastructure, and spending 93 trillion dollars on the Green New Deal. Does that sound like fiscal responsibility? Right now they are debating another stimulus package. Republicans had a 1 trillion dollar plan. Democrats passed a 3 trillion dollar plan but are willing to settle for 2 trillion. How do you feel about that?

We have a Democratic party that while even Covid is going on, wants to add trillions onto the debt several different times due to the virus while also saying that they want MFA, reparations to slave descendants, forgiving of student loan debt, free college, infrastructure, and spending 93 trillion dollars on the Green New Deal. Does that sound like fiscal responsibility? Right now they are debating another stimulus package. Republicans had a 1 trillion dollar plan. Democrats passed a 3 trillion dollar plan but are willing to settle for 2 trillion. How do you feel about that?

Like a gloated pig.

Try this:

*They took a surplus and booming economy, cut taxes and said, "We're going to borrow it." Handed over an economic crisis and then said, "No more borrowing, no raising revenue, no more stimulus, "Failed Stimulus!" No education, no minimum wage, any in a timely manner, how are you going to pay for Obamacare? Repeal Obamacare and have them nothing. Let's cut taxes for the rich again so we can crash and they can choke up and have it impossible. Let's cheat for our SCOTUS. Shut down the Government. Trump's economy. (a rev-ed up piston breaking its shaft) Impeach Trump. Bankrupt the Country. Slap Ten-Trillion and only give Obama $250."

Really though its not my business, I trust Nancy, are we really going to get two-trillion dollars?

Like a gloated pig.

Try this:

*They took a surplus and booming economy, cut taxes and said, "We're going to borrow it." Handed over an economic crisis and then said, "No more borrowing, no raising revenue, no more stimulus, "Failed Stimulus!" No education, no minimum wage, any in a timely manner, how are you going to pay for Obamacare? Repeal Obamacare and have them nothing. Let's cut taxes for the rich again so we can crash and they can choke up and have it impossible. Let's cheat for our SCOTUS. Shut down the Government. Trump's economy. (a rev-ed up piston breaking its shaft) Impeach Trump. Bankrupt the Country. Slap Ten-Trillion and only give Obama $250."

Really though its not my business, I trust Nancy, are we really going to get two-trillion dollars?

Can't respond to that, can you?

Sure I can, they're unlikely to take the Senate, that'll reign them in.

Otherwise, Republicans can just filibuster.

I don't expect them to take away guns and start doing abortions in public.

I can't see what really is with either side because of all the puffing up.

But there are interests other than the two sides at work and neither can I see those, but the Resonant Mind is crying.

It might have to tolerate the insult to Obama, I don't know.

Sure I can, they're unlikely to take the Senate, that'll reign them in.

Otherwise, Republicans can just filibuster.

I don't expect them to take away guns and start doing abortions in public.

I can't see what really is with either side because of all the puffing up.

But there are interests other than the two sides at work and neither can I see those, but the Resonant Mind is crying.

It might have to tolerate the insult to Obama, I don't know.

I dont even understand what Ex is saying. His posts make no sense.

For one thing I would claw back 5% of the Corp Tax cut that cut Corp Tax to a nominal 21%. A nominal 26% rate would have been quite fine thank you since the rate was a nominal 35%. That extra 5% cut cost us $600B in revenue that we got absolutely NOTHING for. Those with big hard-ons over their 401K performance still would have gotten their 401K performance.

I would absolutely do Infrastructure and not the cheap assed Infrastructure program Trump has been peddling. State and local government is used to a 50-50 split with the Federal government. Trump initially offered about 15% and in the last proposal that fell to 10%. That is going NOWHERE which is why Trump's endless Infrastructure Weeks also went nowhere.

Infrastructure would have been the job creator that Trump yammered about before the Corp Tax cut and its can be now!

Well i won't go through my whole spill again. You can do the research if you are interested. I will make a.few comments.

Don't you think when you are.running deficits that tax cuts should follow spending cuts.

We have 40 years of republican tax cuts to examine. Top marginal rate from 90% to 29 %. GDP growth stayed in the same.range the whole time. In fact the highest GDP growth was when taxes were the highest.

Do your research. Which presidents added the most.to the national debt percentage wise. It was Reagan. Which party has added the most to the national debt. I know righties will bring up Obama. You know that isn't quite fair. Bush collapsed the entire world's financial system. Put us in the greatest recession since the great depression. But if you are honest with yourself you will accept the fact that deficit spending decreased under Obama. Started increasing soon after trump took over.

And we.all know who balanced the federal budget and turned it.over to dick and jr.

To say republicans are better with the economy and spending is to just ignore 100 years of history

Well i won't go through my whole spill again. You can do the research if you are interested. I will make a.few comments.

Don't you think when you are.running deficits that tax cuts should follow spending cuts.

We have 40 years of republican tax cuts to examine. Top marginal rate from 90% to 29 %. GDP growth stayed in the same.range the whole time. In fact the highest GDP growth was when taxes were the highest.

Do your research. Which presidents added the most.to the national debt percentage wise. It was Reagan. Which party has added the most to the national debt. I know righties will bring up Obama. You know that isn't quite fair. Bush collapsed the entire world's financial system. Put us in the greatest recession since the great depression. But if you are honest with yourself you will accept the fact that deficit spending decreased under Obama. Started increasing soon after trump took over.

And we.all know who balanced the federal budget and turned it.over to dick and jr.

To say republicans are better with the economy and spending is to just ignore 100 years of history

Actually the deficit started increasing BEFORE Trump took over, and continued because the budget caps and sequestration Republicans forced on Obama in 2011 were ended.

Deficit
2015 -442.0
2016 -584.7
2017 -665.4

I do love though how your argument is "which President added the most (excluding Obama because not fair boo hoo). If you were honest with yourself you would affect the fact that BOTH parties are irresponsible.

Fortunately, mine is only one vote between two poor choices.

I will say that I don't care about what the Hell they do (until they do it and then they will have my response).

I care that a US President ripped up everything his predecessor did, lives by lying to his Lord, and is an ego-centro-maniac.

I care what the Republicans did to Obama and the American people in the name of their power, politics and Lord who they surely did not trust or follow.

Well, I don't know where 93 Trillion dollars is going to come from, but after what the Republicans did to us, why not? Pour it on. Here we are at The first Tribulation (2020-2026) and we kick down, why not, and if we keep kicking down, all that money can stay right in the economy and be siphoned off to pay debt instead of buy bunkers in New Zealand.

Personally I don't think giving money to slave descendants is going to build wealth for them, better would be economic opportunity and social justice, but how can we rule properly if we do not consider the possibility and result that this money would be in the economy?

Back
Top Bottom