• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It is sad when some people are executed and a time for jubilation with others go.

This time it was a cold blooded woman who was not worthy of mercy for the murder of her Husband and Stepson for money.

She couldn't do what most worthless B****es do and just run off with some other guy.

She is no better than Aileen Carol Wuornos prostitute (February 29, 1956 – October 9, 2002) was an American serial killer who killed seven men in Florida between 1989 and 1990.

FOXNews.com - First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

JARRATT, Va. -- The first woman executed in the United States in five years was put to death in Virginia on Thursday for arranging the killings of her husband and a stepson over a $250,000 insurance payment.

Teresa Lewis, 41, died by injection at 9:13 p.m. Thursday, authorities said. She became the first woman executed in Virginia in nearly a century. Supporters and relatives of the victims watched her execution at Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt.

Lewis enticed two men through sex, cash and a promised cut in an insurance policy to shoot her husband, Julian Clifton Lewis Jr., and his son, Charles, as they were sleeping in the couple's mobile home in October 2002. Both triggermen were sentenced to life in prison and one committed suicide in 2006.

Last edited:
Her IQ was so low she almost legally qualified for retardation.

What does that have to do with the fact she murdered her husband and stepson for money? If someone commits a very evil deed like this then they should be executed. Their IQ does not make them any more or less evil than someone with a higher IQ doing the same crime.

Last edited:

She was able to figure out that she could profit from murder and she planned the murders and was there to watch them take place. She then delayed calling 011 before he died her husband is reported to have said she knew who did it.

She scored 69 in a test in 1070 which is questionable, but she was quite functional and I din't care if she scored 59 she was a cold blooded calculating woman who was a danger to others and she proved it,

Liberals and death penalty oponents have been protesting to no avil and I agree there are some excecutions that are questionable. This is not one of them.

I am opposed to the death penalty because, sometimes, an innocent gets caught in the system and forfeits his or her life.

That being said, under present law, she should not get preferential treatment because she is a woman. If a man had done this, he would be toast. So should she, and she now is. Until the law is changed, this works for me.

She was able to figure out that she could profit from murder and she planned the murders and was there to watch them take place. She then delayed calling 011 before he died her husband is reported to have said she knew who did it.

She scored 69 in a test in 1070 which is questionable, but she was quite functional and I din't care if she scored 59 she was a cold blooded calculating woman who was a danger to others and she proved it,

Liberals and death penalty oponents have been protesting to no avil and I agree there are some excecutions that are questionable. This is not one of them.

Someone who has an IQ of 69 is much more likely to murder someone than a person of average IQ. I'm not giving her any excuses, I just don't think she should have been executed. I don't think anyone should be executed. Judging by Americas murder rate it obviously isn't a useful detterent so what is the point of it. Also the risk of executing an innocent person is too great.

Shouldn't you Christian conservatives be against anyways on the grounds of religion, I thought god was the only person who could judge a man for his sins..I don't think Jesus would approve of the execution of a woman who scored a 69 on her IQ test, do you?

Last edited:

I'm not supportive of the death penalty for the same reasons that Dan isn't but read the freaking story.
She arranged sex between her 16 year old kid and one of the trigger men.
What the hell?

If she is not mentally competent enough, to be accountable for her actions, then she shouldn't be weighing the state down either.

Someone who has an IQ of 69 is much more likely to murder someone than a person of average IQ. I'm not giving her any excuses, I just don't think she should have been executed. I don't think anyone should be executed. Judging by Americas murder rate it obviously isn't a useful detterent so what is the point of it. Also the risk of executing an innocent person is too great.

Shouldn't you Christian conservatives be against anyways on the grounds of religion, I thought god was the only person who could judge a man for his sins..I don't think Jesus would approve of the execution of a woman who scored a 69 on her IQ test, do you?

What is a useful deterrent then? We can't have people like this out on the street, and we shouldn't have to pay to keep them alive for the next 40+ years. We need to get rid of them some how, as sad as it is. If there is a better way then I'm all for it. If not then I'd rather just get rid of them as cold as that may sound.

What is a useful deterrent then? We can't have people like this out on the street, and we shouldn't have to pay to keep them alive for the next 40+ years. We need to get rid of them some how, as sad as it is. If there is a better way then I'm all for it. If not then I'd rather just get rid of them as cold as that may sound.

This is my problem with the death penalty. Its actually not cheaper by a long shot. The cost of all the court preceding, supplied lawyers to the defendant, who often can't afford their own, and the huge amount of scrutiny that goes into deciding on a death penalty is enormous. Plus, most death row inmates sit on death years for years if not decades anyway.

I am opposed to the death penalty because, sometimes, an innocent gets caught in the system and forfeits his or her life.

That being said, under present law, she should not get preferential treatment because she is a woman. If a man had done this, he would be toast. So should she, and she now is. Until the law is changed, this works for me.

Yep, this is basically how I feel about this situation.

I oppose the death penalty. Absolutely. This doesn't mean I mourn for this woman, even though I don't think she should have been put to death. What I don't really understand is that the judge said that she masterminded this conspiracy to murder her husband and step-son. This means that the others involved were also involved in the conspiracy, but were not given the death sentence, despite the fact that it was them who actually carried out the deed. Why do you think that was?

I oppose the death penalty. Absolutely. This doesn't mean I mourn for this woman, even though I don't think she should have been put to death. What I don't really understand is that the judge said that she masterminded this conspiracy to murder her husband and step-son. This means that the others involved were also involved in the conspiracy, but were not given the death sentence, despite the fact that it was them who actually carried out the deed. Why do you think that was?

She was the only person who originally knew about the life insurance policy, she bought the firearm that was used to kill those men, she let the gunmen in the home and put away the dog to prevent it from alerting the victims.

She was the principle orchestrator.

Sadly, her low IQ is probably responsible for making her think that she was going to get away with this double murder. When, in fact, it likely contributed to her being caught.

I seriously doubt that the gunmen were much smarter. I'm guessing they got caught and turned states evidence against her for leniency.

Last edited:
Sadly, her low IQ is probably responsible for making her think that she was going to get away with this double murder. When, in fact, it likely contributed to her being caught.

I seriously doubt that the gunmen were much smarter. I'm guessing they got caught and turned states evidence against her for leniency.

If she was smarter then she could have gotten away with it.

Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution - Yahoo! Canada News

As 41-year-old Teresa Lewis was led to her death by lethal injection, the campaigners argued that her execution epitomized everything that was wrong about capital punishment.

"What kind of people are we to execute someone like her?" cried Virginia Rovnyak.

"She didn't pull the trigger, and she was mentally challenged," said the campaigner, who wore a sign around her neck that read: "Life is sacred, do not kill."

Prosecutors portrayed Lewis as the "mastermind" of the 2003 murders of her husband and step-son, even though she had an IQ of about 70, said Rovnyak. She had been let down by the US justice system.

I'm curious to find out the kind of argument somebody needs to come up with to prove that a person with an IQ slightly higher than the require level for retardation is capable of masterminding murders. Now admittedly, I have never dealt with somebody who is borderline mentally retarded - excuse me, developmentally disabled - but I do have friends with relatives who have mild disabilities and yet require constant care taking. How different was this woman from them?

44292-29746.jpg

IQ - Mental retardation

# Mild mental retardation: IQ 50–55 to 70; children require mild support; formally called "Educable Mentally Retarded".

# Moderate retardation: IQ 35–40 to 50–55; children require moderate supervision and assistance; formally called "Trainable Mentally Retarded".

# Severe mental retardation: IQ 20–25 to 35–40; can be taught basic life skills and simple tasks with supervision.

# Profound mental retardation: IQ below 20–25; usually caused by a neurological condition; require constant care.

The rate of mental retardation is higher among males than females, and higher among blacks than whites, according to a 1991 U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study.

On a last note, I believe the death penalty if it can't be abolished should be reserved for the most HEINOUS of crimes where there is no doubt that the person knew exactly what they were doing. The death penalty as a punishment seems useless. I punish my daughter by taking her toys away for a few hours. Not taking her toys away for good. The death penalty in this case seems like vengeance.

Re: Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

I'm curious to find out the kind of argument somebody needs to come up with to prove that a person with an IQ slightly higher than the require level for retardation is capable of masterminding murders. Now admittedly, I have never dealt with somebody who is borderline mentally retarded - excuse me, developmentally disabled - but I do have friends with relatives who have mild disabilities and yet require constant care taking. How different was this woman from them?

You just answered your own question.

Retarded,borderline or almost retarded has nothing to do with the fact she had her stepson and husband murdered.Its just another excuse or loop hole that scumbag sympathizers use to try to help scumbags weasel out of getting their punishment while ****ting on the victims of these scum.

44292-29746.jpg

IQ - Mental retardation

On a last note, I believe the death penalty if it can't be abolished should be reserved for the most HEINOUS of crimes where there is no doubt that the person knew exactly what they were doing. The death penalty as a punishment seems useless. I punish my daughter by taking her toys away for a few hours. Not taking her toys away for good. The death penalty in this case seems like vengeance.

She controlled the whole situation in regards to the murder.

She bought the gun, she enticed the men to kill her husband and stepson, she offered her 16 year old daughter for sex, she unlocked the door and put away the family dog, to allow the men to commit the murder.
She was the person, other than the father and stepson, who knew about the life insurance policy.

While I disagree with the death penalty on the grounds that innocent people can be killed, the state should not have to mind people who are so mentally disabled that they may kill others.

I'm curious to find out the kind of argument somebody needs to come up with to prove that a person with an IQ slightly higher than the require level for retardation is capable of masterminding murders.
It was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Retarded,borderline or almost retarded has nothing to do with the fact she had her stepson and husband murdered.Its just another excuse or loop hole that scumbag sympathizers use to try to help scumbags weasel out of getting their punishment while ****ting on the victims of these scum.

Well, the hyperpartisan screeching started up quickly...

The OP tries to make the case that a "grandmother" with an IQ of 70 is incapable of murder - which is untrue. Sounds like justice was carried out expeditiously, which is a good thing.

(not discussing her mental-status)
I don't support the death penalty for that nature of murder, anyway (meaning 1 person buys the death of another - or plots otherwise - and had accomplices)

The death penalty should be reserved for serial killers on a large scale - plain and simple.

And we shouldn't be convicting those who are not able to discern right from wrong. . . which includes the officially insane as well as the mentally handicapped, etc.

Well, the hyperpartisan screeching started up quickly...

I call it as I see it. This stupid people shouldn't get the death penalty or people who claim to be insane shouldn't get the death penalty is just another tool for the scumbag sympathizers to help scumbags weasel out of their punishment. A low IQ does not make someone's evil deed any less or more evil than someone with a high IQ who did the same thing.

I don't like the death penalty, and think it should be abolished but while it is law, she shouldn't get any special treatment.

Back
Top Bottom