• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Woman Executed in the U.S. in Five Years

Re: Protesters condemn US grandmother's execution

Congratulations, and welcome to being dead wrong.

I have a serious problem with the death penalty in general, and I would not respond to the accusations against the service member in that way.

So, I'm wrong because my comments don't apply to you?

I'm not saying more guns=more crime, I'm saying less guns=less crime. I really don't care about the right to bear arms though, I don't plan on ever putting myself in a situation where I need a gun or where I am met by somebody with a gun. As long as I'm not getting shot personally I'm fine, still I wouldn't mind seeing stricter gun control. Why do people need M-16s and AK-47s??

I'm not saying more guns=more crime, I'm saying less guns=less crime. I really don't care about the right to bear arms though, I don't plan on ever putting myself in a situation where I need a gun or where I am met by somebody with a gun. As long as I'm not getting shot personally I'm fine, still I wouldn't mind seeing stricter gun control. Why do people need M-16s and AK-47s??

Because they want it.

Those weapons are rarely used in crime anyway, so restricting them only hurts recreational shooters.
I really hate when people think we should ban stuff based on need.

How about we start with stuff you don't need?

She's dead.....

What bothers me even more lately is that the mental health system is so broken and that the criminal justice system has decided to wash its hands of violent mentally ill offenders.

There are many severely mentally disturbed people who are a very clear danger to society who are getting released from jail to mental treatment and the mental health system is kicking them back to the streets a few days later with a perscription and a case worker's phone number.

So, I'm wrong because my comments don't apply to you?

Yes, because you employed a sweeping generalization.

All you need to prove one of those wrong is a single example to the contrary; everything else is icing on the cake.

TED,
An example to the contrary, and probably not the only one.

Her IQ was so low she almost legally qualified for retardation.

So if we up the limit, then what do we do with the next person who has an IQ almost low enough to be almost low enough to be retarded?

This is my problem with the death penalty. Its actually not cheaper by a long shot. The cost of all the court preceding, supplied lawyers to the defendant, who often can't afford their own, and the huge amount of scrutiny that goes into deciding on a death penalty is enormous. Plus, most death row inmates sit on death years for years if not decades anyway.

It's not cheaper because we give people charged with capitol offenses all sorts of special hearings and appeals. It's a problem of our own making. Moreover, that doesn't count the cost of the additional murders that would occur without the death penalty. That far outweighs the additional upfront cost.

he only deterrent to crime I could see is strict gun control but of course we shall have none of that.

The death penalty IS a deterrent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/us/18deter.html

For the first time in a generation, the question of whether the death penalty deters murders has captured the attention of scholars in law and economics, setting off an intense new debate about one of the central justifications for capital punishment.

According to roughly a dozen recent studies, executions save lives. For each inmate put to death, the studies say, 3 to 18 murders are prevented.

The effect is most pronounced, according to some studies, in Texas and other states that execute condemned inmates relatively often and relatively quickly.

why is America's crime rate so high then? I mean other countries with strict gun control have a much lower crime rate..Sure it doesn't technically deter crime but it would certainly lower the murder and crime rate.

If we're pretending that correlation equals causation, Mexico has very strict gun control. That's certainly worked out well for them.

No, I'm saying that it's not always Christian countries that have a death penalty in place.

No, just religious ones, or fascist states... though it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

I'm not trying to create excuses, retarded or not I wouldn't support the execution. The lady should have just rotted behind bars. The only deterrent to crime I could see is strict gun control but of course we shall have none of that.

Care to show us some examples of where that is true?

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged.

No, just religious ones, or fascist states... though it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Reading about this case, it appears to me, the woman had anti social behavior disorder(Psychopathy).
There is no cure for that, there is no reason to keep a person who is dangerous to others around like that.

Ahh! I see, so Christians and facists are the same? Better be careful, TED's going to get on your ass for making sweeping generalizations.

Reading about this case, it appears to me, the woman had anti social behavior disorder(Psychopathy).
There is no cure for that, there is no reason to keep a person who is dangerous to others around like that.

If I were living in Virginia, I know there's not much I could do to stop the execution, but I would still have a problem knowing that my tax dollars fund it. If she was truly a psychopath, then there are treatments for that. Was that attempted?

Execution, if it's to happen at all, should be the last of the last resorts.

Why, the alcohol prep on the arm before, the lethal injection? Whats the purpose of this?

Ahh! I see, so Christians and facists are the same? Better be careful, TED's going to get on your ass for making sweeping generalizations.

When it comes to old world thinking, draconion controls, and failure to embrace modern alternatives, there is little distinction.

Why, the alcohol prep on the arm before, the lethal injection? Whats the purpose of this?

The doctor inserts the needles, but doesn't push the buttons for the lethal toxins to go in. Doctors are not supposed to do any harm, so technically, the alcohol swab is part of that. Plus it's just standard procedure.

To prevent infection, of course!

Oh wait ...

If I were living in Virginia, I know there's not much I could do to stop the execution, but I would still have a problem knowing that my tax dollars fund it. If she was truly a psychopath, then there are treatments for that. Was that attempted?

Execution, if it's to happen at all, should be the last of the last resorts.

There are no treatments for psychopathy, treating a person using counseling can be entirely ineffective because people with psychopathy are incredibly manipulative.
Enough to fool or at least confuse a doctor.

Psychopaths are dangerous because they are indifferent to the suffering of others, especially when they stand to benefit from it.

I'm not trying to create excuses, retarded or not I wouldn't support the execution. The lady should have just rotted behind bars. The only deterrent to crime I could see is strict gun control but of course we shall have none of that.

strict gun control has no hope of stopping crime and only makes victims less safe

if someone doesn't worry about the needle why would they worry about breaking a gun law

and don't think gun control will make it hard for mopes to get illegal guns. THis country is awash in weed and crack and both those are illegal and don't have 100 year life spans like a gun does

need has nothing to do with rights

and city governments throughout the uSA have determined that M16 rifles are useful for civilian employees of these government units to use for self defense in urban environments. If a local government says such rifles are useful for one set of civilians they are clearly useful for other civilians

here is how it works-less guns possessed by THUGS=less crimes of violence. Less guns possessed by honest people-ie potential victims-= MORE CRIME. What does gun control do-it deprives honest people of guns AT FAR HIGHER RATES than it deprives mopes of guns

therefore gun bans or strict gun control does not help crime rates

well if the governor stops the execution and they didn't do it and the mope got a MRSA the state could face a most expensive lawsuit

strict gun control has no hope of stopping crime and only makes victims less safe

victims less safe...???

is that like, where do you bury the survivors?

the only things that make victims safe are the police, courts, jails...

victims less safe...???

Yeah, 'cuz the police stop lots of crimes in progress. :roll:

People that think like this become statistics.

victims less safe...???

Tell that to the folks who have been murdered by convicts who walked a technicalities (Bill Ayers) and people who were murdered by escaped convicts. Who was made safe when a Vermont judge gave a convicted rapist probation?

I'm not saying more guns=more crime, I'm saying less guns=less crime. I really don't care about the right to bear arms though, I don't plan on ever putting myself in a situation where I need a gun or where I am met by somebody with a gun. As long as I'm not getting shot personally I'm fine, still I wouldn't mind seeing stricter gun control.

Washington DC's gun banned proved that that isn't true.

Why do people need M-16s and AK-47s??

You do understand that criminals who own these weapons, own them ilelgally? Check out what it takes to get a class 3 firearms license, which is the only way legally own an automatic weapon.

What does that have to do with the fact she murdered her husband and stepson for money? If someone commits a very evil deed like this then they should be executed. Their IQ does not make them any more or less evil than someone with a higher IQ doing the same crime.

Sure it does. The Supreme Court recognizes this and its a reason we don't execute the mentally retarded. I don't agree is Capital Punishment at all, but if its it is going to be applied, it certainly shouldn't be applied to people with a mental capacity far below average and ability to think rationally lower than the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom