• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Use of Automatic Firearm in Mass Shooting ?

Rich2018

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Gun lovers constantly state that no mass shooting has ever been committed with an automatic firearm. Did this just change ?

"Six people were killed and ten injured in a mass shooting in California's capital city early Sunday morning as a gunman with an automatic rifle opened fired on a group of revelers fighting outside a bar...."

So will gun owners cede that automatic firearms are very deadly now ?

The video is the 4th pic down in the article.

Did it sound like a machine gun?

Gun lovers constantly state that no mass shooting has ever been committed with an automatic firearm. Did this just change ?

"Six people were killed and ten injured in a mass shooting in California's capital city early Sunday morning as a gunman with an automatic rifle opened fired on a group of revelers fighting outside a bar...."

Don't gangsters count? Thompson's sub-machine guns were used on Valentine's Day in Chicago.

These factored heavily in WW1 right? I’m not sure the precise answer to the OP’s question but it’s got to be at least 100 years ago.

Don't gangsters count? Thompson's sub-machine guns were used on Valentine's Day in Chicago.
I’ve always wondered why they are called “sub” machine guns?

I’ve always wondered why they are called “sub” machine guns?
I Don't know. Maybe 'machine gun' implies crew served or belt-fed or something.

1st You are the only one who doesn't know firearms can be deadly. ALL OF THEM. I capitalized all of them because you seem confused about guns and gun owners.

2nd If you think this is the first time automatic weapons have been used in mass shootings you clearly have no knowledge on the subject.

We can start with "The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre". The use of fully automatic guns to kill people has been going on since they were invented.

Same problem from the past going on today. People killing people since recorded history and most likely as long as man has existed. Killing by animals which we are has been going on for over a billion years and I see no reason for it to stop anytime soon.

When I seen the title with a question mark, I just shook my head. Most civilians have no idea between semi-auto or fully automatic. If it looks like an AR-15 or is scary looking, its full automatic. Until we catch the perp with the weapon, we won't know.

When I seen the title with a question mark, I just shook my head. Most civilians have no idea between semi-auto or fully automatic. If it looks like an AR-15 or is scary looking, its full automatic. Until we catch the perp with the weapon, we won't know.
Let's not forget, this is the Daily Mail talking.

The article does not mention the model of the weapon or weapons used. If they were automatic weapons, those have been illegal since the Prohibition Era. If they were AR-15s, they are not automatic weapons, they are semi-automatic. As to your question, any gun in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Any axe or knife in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Any baseball bat in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Same with swimming pools and automobiles.

That wasn't an "automatic firearm".

The article does not mention the model of the weapon or weapons used. If they were automatic weapons, those have been illegal since the Prohibition Era. . . .
Not exactly.

Automatic weapons are not illegal.

Fully automatic weapons require a special license from the ATF (FFL). A friend of mine has a FFL, and a full-auto M4A1, which is a variant of the M4 carbine.

Not exactly.

Automatic weapons are not illegal.

Fully automatic weapons require a special license from the ATF (FFL). A friend of mine has a FFL, and a full-auto M4A1, which is a variant of the M4 carbine.
Correct. Fully automatic weapons can be purchased with a federal license. Though I doubt that the gang bangers running around with Uzis, and similar weapons have such a license.

The article does not mention the model of the weapon or weapons used. If they were automatic weapons, those have been illegal since the Prohibition Era. If they were AR-15s, they are not automatic weapons, they are semi-automatic. As to your question, any gun in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Any axe or knife in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Any baseball bat in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Same with swimming pools and automobiles.
ARs are easily altered full auto for anyone that knows what they ar doing…

That wasn't an "automatic firearm".
I should be more precise.

The article doesn't show a picture of the weapon, so I don't know for a fact that it is not an automatic firearm. It presumable COULD be an automatic weapon, but, if so, it was fired in a semi-automatic mode.

Don't worry California has banned assault weapons, so this couldn't have happened

Back
Top Bottom