• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First University dissafiliates from NUS

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
SUs at Oxford, Cambridge, Hull, Newcastle, and Exeter are also due to hold referenda on disaffiliating, and a campaign group called NUSceptics has satellite campaigners in Bangor, Stirling, Aberystwyth, Leicester, Durham, Sheffield, Birmingham, Reading, and Plymouth – to name but a few. Link.

I know turnout was low but I am very much in support of student unions sending a powerful message to Malia Bouattia that her views and language are not welcome.

Question now becomes whether she blindly clings on to power or steps down when it becomes clear Universities are leaving the NUS.

I know turnout was low but I am very much in support of student unions sending a powerful message to Malia Bouattia that her views and language are not welcome.

Question now becomes whether she blindly clings on to power or steps down when it becomes clear Universities are leaving the NUS.

The discussion seems good and the idea of disassociation poor to me.

~ the idea of disassociation poor to me.

Why? If she was a fresh faced newbie voted in and then all of a sudden her comments started to come out I would say give her the chance and advice to learn but Bouattia has a long standing record so it's highly unlikely moderate students could expect her to meet them halfway or learn from her mistakes. As one of her friends says - she is what she is and not going to change.

Why? If she was a fresh faced newbie voted in and then all of a sudden her comments started to come out I would say give her the chance and advice to learn but Bouattia has a long standing record so it's highly unlikely moderate students could expect her to meet them halfway or learn from her mistakes. As one of her friends says - she is what she is and not going to change.

The discourse would be less to convince her than to present one's own explanations openly and be seen to be putting one's effort firmly on the side of liberality and debate instead of restrictions and coercion.

So far

• Newcastle University vote and leave
  • Lincoln University vote and leave

• Exeter vote vote and stay
  • Surrey University vote and stay

Other student unions planning disaffiliation votes include Warwick, Hull, Cambridge, Worcester, Loughborough, Oxford, and York. Link.

There's lots I didn't quote - but the main point is growing dissatisfaction with the NUS as a whole, brought to a head by Bouattia's election. Like Scotland, Exeter are seeking another referendum after a lot of big hitters from headquarters were brought in to sway opinion. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom