• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Time with Medicare— Help!

Ouroboros

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I’m fortunate that I don’t yet have to use Medicare this very week though sooner or later I will have to. But all the things they are telling me sound nuts.

I admit that because I had a government job, I’ve enjoyed a very liberal coverage through that plan. And I know that Medicare is preferable to having nothing, and that a lot of people are much worse off.

But when the Medicare agents tell me that the very first time I want to see a physician I have to pay my full deductible for the calendar year, that sounds completely crazy..

Now I’ve just passed the six-five, so I had no choice about making Medicare my primary. But I have had older family members using the service, and none of them ever told me about paying a yearly deductible in one visit. One person did tell me that a few years the system got really jacked up, though.

When you turn 65 you are required to sign up for Medicare Part A even if you are still working and have group health. You can keep your group heath for Part B and D I suggest you sign up for A and B and keep your Group health as secondary and primary for Part D if you can afford it get a supplement plan not an advantage Plan.

When you turn 65 you are required to sign up for Medicare Part A even if you are still working and have group health. You can keep your group heath for Part B and D I suggest you sign up for A and B and keep your Group health as secondary and primary for Part D if you can afford it get a supplement plan not an advantage Plan.

You’ve described exactly what I have now, with the exception that I do not have either Medicare supplement or Medicare Advantage.

I must admit that I have not yet investigated how much of a standard doctors bill my secondary work related insurance will pay once Medicare has paid its niggling share. But I know that not everyone has or can afford a secondary. So has anyone here been obliged to start Medicare in recent years, and been forced to pay the whole deductible in one shot?

I’m fortunate that I don’t yet have to use Medicare this very week though sooner or later I will have to. But all the things they are telling me sound nuts.

I admit that because I had a government job, I’ve enjoyed a very liberal coverage through that plan. And I know that Medicare is preferable to having nothing, and that a lot of people are much worse off.

But when the Medicare agents tell me that the very first time I want to see a physician I have to pay my full deductible for the calendar year, that sounds completely crazy..

Now I’ve just passed the six-five, so I had no choice about making Medicare my primary. But I have had older family members using the service, and none of them ever told me about paying a yearly deductible in one visit. One person did tell me that a few years the system got really jacked up, though.

The only way that you would have had to pay your entire annual Medicare deductible on a single doctor visit is if the cost of that visit equaled (or exceeded) your annual Medicare Part B deductible ($198 in 2020, up from $185 in 2019).

I suggest that you investigate getting a Medicare Advantage plan. My girlfriend and I have gotten them (through WellCare) and it reduces our Part B annual deductible to $0 and has a Medicare premium “give back” of $95/month (with no additional premium). These (Part C and D) Medicare Advantage plan’s availability varies by region since they are either HMO or PPO based.

Do you have Medicare part B-C coverage as part of your retirement benefits? They should cover that co-pay.

Do you have Medicare part B-C coverage as part of your retirement benefits? They should cover that co-pay.

Thanks for responding, but I finally got straightened on the specifics of my plan after being given bad info by Medicare.

Back
Top Bottom