• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Sign of the End - For Putin?

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Anatoly Chubais, longtime aide to Vladimir Putin, resigns amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine

The Kremlin says President Vladimir Putin's envoy for liaison with international organizations has resigned. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying that Anatoly Chubais had submitted his resignation.

Chubais' resignation appears to reflect growing divisions among top Russian officials over the military operation in Ukraine.

Russian military is angry as they are losing:

How many Russian troops have been killed?

Russia has suffered 30,000 to 40,000 battlefield casualties, including 7,000 to 15,000 killed, a senior NATO military officer said in a briefing Wednesday from the alliance's military headquarters in Belgium.

Putin is angry at his own people:

The Purges in Putin’s Shrinking Inner Circle The frustrated Russian leader has punished officials for misjudging the invasion of Ukraine. But ordinary citizens remain in the dark.

What we know is that, since the war began, Putin’s attacked the agencies already, as far as we know. So the war started at this now infamous meeting of the Russian Security Council, where Putin publicly berated the director of the S.V.R., the foreign-intelligence agency, which is a direct successor to the spy section of the K.G.B. Two and a half weeks later, we got news about the F.S.B. foreign-intelligence branch, because the F.S.B. also has a foreign-intelligence branch coming under attack. We now know about two people, two top-level officials at this department, being questioned and placed under house arrest.

Then, last week, we got news that the deputy head of the National Guard was forced to resign, and he will also probably face some sort of a criminal investigation. And he is not just National Guard. This guy is a former security-services person. He was with Putin’s personal security detail before he joined the National Guard, so he’s known personally to Putin.

Is this the beginning of the end? It seems so.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the beginning - it started earlier - but unlike the experts I hear, I have to wonder if Putin can maintain power. He replaced a thousand people on his staff who had access to him - bodyguards, cooks, secretaries and so on - paranoid for his safety reportedly. Top intelligence officials are under house arrest.

He still has popular support thanks to propaganda, until his lies are revealed, but his official support seems falling apart.

40,000 casualties in less than a month would be something. Just an unbelievable ****up.

I'm not buying those numbers. 7-15,000 Russian soldiers dead? Come on.

Also, who in Putin's inner circle gets to 'resign?' Is he already out of the country?

Actually, this revelation is not surprising. Trump fired the man along with countless others during his reign.

CNN reported, "Former Trump national security adviser H.R. McMaster said Russian President Vladimir Putin has been caught off guard by the West’s united front deploying tough sanctions in response to the invasion of Ukraine — and that the Biden administration deserves credit for helping foster that unity."

“Putin perceived weakness and disunity,” McMaster, a retired Army lieutenant general, told CNN in a phone interview. “But what he got instead was an extremely high degree of unity.”

CNN continued, "Sanctions levied on Russia have left the country’s economy in tatters. The ruble is barely worth a penny, the Russian stock market has been shut for a month and Moscow is at risk of its first international default in more than a century."

“The Biden administration needs credit for the degree with which they fostered international unity against Russia, especially in economic and diplomatic realms,” said McMaster, now a senior fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution.

McMaster called for Republicans and Democrats to come together to address Russia’s aggression.

“There should be no partisan divide on Ukraine. Nobody should use Ukraine to score partisan points,” McMaster said.

All of this contrasts sharply with McMaster's old boss.

President Donald Trump has long criticized the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, frequently bellyaching that the international military partnership has been “very unfair” to the United States, and castigating American allies as deadbeats for, in his eyes, failing to pull their weight. However, it appears Trump’s attacks on NATO are more than bluster. Citing senior administration officials, The New York Times reported that at several points in 2018, Trump discussed withdrawing the U.S. from the international organization, a move that would effectively doom the 29-nation alliance and empower Russia, which has spent years seeking to weaken it. Vanity Fair

Trump did his best to weaken NATO, Russia's nemesis, as a favor to Putin who helped him get elected in 2016. Recently Trump labeled Putin a "savvy genius."

Today, Trump is the leader of the Republican Party and is the leading Republican candidate for President in 2024.

Republicans will not respond to this report. They rarely talk about what their party does, and the party's leader is a taboo subject. Educationally handicapped Republicans are losers and they want nothing more than to have a loser as President ... again.

Will we allow that to happen ... again?

Electing Trump's picks to Congress this November is nearly as bad.

The signs have been there all along.

Actually, this revelation is not surprising. Trump fired the man along with countless others during his reign.

CNN reported, "Former Trump national security adviser H.R. McMaster said Russian President Vladimir Putin has been caught off guard by the West’s united front deploying tough sanctions in response to the invasion of Ukraine — and that the Biden administration deserves credit for helping foster that unity."

“Putin perceived weakness and disunity,” McMaster, a retired Army lieutenant general, told CNN in a phone interview. “But what he got instead was an extremely high degree of unity.”

CNN continued, "Sanctions levied on Russia have left the country’s economy in tatters. The ruble is barely worth a penny, the Russian stock market has been shut for a month and Moscow is at risk of its first international default in more than a century."

“The Biden administration needs credit for the degree with which they fostered international unity against Russia, especially in economic and diplomatic realms,” said McMaster, now a senior fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution.

McMaster called for Republicans and Democrats to come together to address Russia’s aggression.

“There should be no partisan divide on Ukraine. Nobody should use Ukraine to score partisan points,” McMaster said.

All of this contrasts sharply with McMaster's old boss.

President Donald Trump has long criticized the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, frequently bellyaching that the international military partnership has been “very unfair” to the United States, and castigating American allies as deadbeats for, in his eyes, failing to pull their weight. However, it appears Trump’s attacks on NATO are more than bluster. Citing senior administration officials, The New York Times reported that at several points in 2018, Trump discussed withdrawing the U.S. from the international organization, a move that would effectively doom the 29-nation alliance and empower Russia, which has spent years seeking to weaken it. Vanity Fair

Trump did his best to weaken NATO, Russia's nemesis, as a favor to Putin who helped him get elected in 2016. Recently Trump labeled Putin a "savvy genius."

Today, Trump is the leader of the Republican Party and is the leading Republican candidate for President in 2024.

Republicans will not respond to this report. They rarely talk about what their party does, and the party's leader is a taboo subject. Educationally handicapped Republicans are losers and they want nothing more than to have a loser as President ... again.

Will we allow that to happen ... again?

Electing Trump's picks to Congress this November is nearly as bad.
Being charitable, that is post is ~95% hackish, Trump obsessed bullshit. Putin is struggling in Ukraine not because of Bidens brilliance but because of Ukranian resistance and the surprisingly incompetent Russian army.

Russian military is angry as they are losing:

Putin is angry at his own people:

Is this the beginning of the end? It seems so.

We are still in the Forward.

I see you are believing all the propaganda coming in lately. The end is near but not the ending you think is coming 🤣

We are still in the Forward.

I see you are believing all the propaganda coming in lately. The end is near but not the ending you think is coming 🤣
The end I see coming is that Putin will be taken down by his own people (like they did with Gorbachev). What end do you see?

and by the way, I am not believing propaganda (like what you supply). I believe in what I know about human nature. Money and power are the most important things to Russia and the sanctions imposed (by Biden, by the way) are taking both away from the people that are presently with money and power in Russia and is causing them to consider taking away the fool that has caused that to them (Putin). It doesn't take propaganda information to know that hurts them where they live and will do something to make it stop.

Last edited:
Nice to believe but your link doesnt actually prove they did so. It just says the same thing the OP did. With no substantiation.
Bottom line is that the Ukrainians are getting the weapons of defense that they need (supplied consistently) to kill soldiers and the Russians have been sitting ducks, especially considering all the supply problems and incompetence-in-fighting-on-the-ground that they have been showing. In addition, the Ukrainian soldiers are highly stimulated to defend while the Russian soldiers are depressed as they have no good reason to fight). It would not be surprising if it is not more deaths than this.

To finish it off, it was said by a person familiar with the situation that the total amount of Ukrainian soldiers and the civilians trained to fight number about 240,000 while the actual amount of Russian soldiers are no more than 100,000 (I know they sent 180,000 but many of those sent are not actually soldiers but people that help supply the soldiers themselves, like medics, logistical people, cooks, etc.). As such, the Ukrainians actually have a clear advantage and clearly higher stimulation to fight and are not sitting ducks like the Russians are).

Being charitable, that is post is ~95% hackish, Trump obsessed bullshit. Putin is struggling in Ukraine not because of Bidens brilliance but because of Ukranian resistance and the surprisingly incompetent Russian army.

Strange both Trump and Pompeo think Putin is a genius.

Last edited:
Yes, you are right that Putin is suffering from the incompetence of his army but that would not be a big issue if it wasn't being compounded in severity of the sanctions. The Russians oligarchy and Military leaders don't care much if their own soldiers die as they don't value life much anyhow. Nonetheless, hit them where it hurts (their pocketbooks that gives them their power) and that is something completely different.

Russian leaders would be just fine if they lost 100,000 soldiers (or even more) as long as in the end they accomplished their goals no matter the time frame involved (they have a lot of patience). Nonetheless, take away their money, put them in a situation where they face a time limit before things get much worse, and make them not able to continue to fund their battle and you have hurt them where it counts.

Putin is struggling in Ukraine not because of Bidens brilliance but because of Ukranian resistance and the surprisingly incompetent Russian army.
What idiot said that Putin is struggling because of Biden's brilliance?

That is a common tactic used by Biden's critics. They create what a writer said, then criticize the writer based on their creation. It is an incredibly stupid tactic, borne of desperation.

Bottom line is that the Ukrainians are getting the weapons of defense that they need (supplied consistently) to kill soldiers and the Russians have been sitting ducks, especially considering all the supply problems and incompetence-in-fighting-on-the-ground that they have been showing. In addition, the Ukrainian soldiers are highly stimulated to defend while the Russian soldiers are depressed as they have no good reason to fight). It would not be surprising if it is not more deaths than this.

Uh huh. I'm not disagreeing that Ukrainian forces are doing a great job. I made a comment about unsupported numbers, that's all.

To finish it off, it was said by a person familiar with the situation that the total amount of Ukrainian soldiers and the civilians trained to fight number about 240,000 while the actual amount of Russian soldiers are no more than 100,000 (I know they sent 180,000 but many of those sent are not actually soldiers but people that help supply the soldiers themselves, like medics, logistical people, cooks, etc.). As such, the Ukrainians actually have a clear advantage and clearly higher stimulation to fight and are not sitting ducks like the Russians are).

None of that is sourced and when I read "a person familiar with the situation" I tune out.

Russian oligarchs are really just the heads of criminal organizations. If they can't keep the money flowing to their underlings then they and perhaps their families will be killed. That is why they will depose Putin.

Uh huh. I'm not disagreeing that Ukrainian forces are doing a great job. I made a comment about unsupported numbers, that's all.

None of that is sourced and when I read "a person familiar with the situation" I tune out.
Does this answer your doubts?

Ukraine has one of Europe's largest militaries, with 170,000 active-duty troops, 100,000 reservists and territorial defense forces that include at least 100,000 veterans.

as far as how many active Russian soldiers are there, I have not been able to find any articles saying the exact number number but we know that 180.000 people were sent and that not all of them can be soldiers as medics, logistical people, aides and assistance, as well as supply people have to be part of that number. In addition and with around 10,000 soldiers dead, it can be surmised that about 100,000 soldiers remain. As such, the numbers are not unreal.

Strange both Trump and Pompeo think Putin is a genius.
Even more strange that Putin seemed to rely on NATO not being unified, which is what Trump tried to do.

Does this answer your doubts?

Ukraine has one of Europe's largest militaries, with 170,000 active-duty troops, 100,000 reservists and territorial defense forces that include at least 100,000 veterans.

as far as how many active Russian soldiers are there, I have not been able to find any articles saying the exact number number but we know that 180.000 people were sent and that not all of them can be soldiers as medics, logistical people, aides and assistance, as well as supply people have to be part of that number. In addition and with around 10,000 soldiers dead, it can be surmised that about 100,000 soldiers remain. As such, the numbers are not unreal.

I'm talking about supporting the numbers of Russian soldiers killed. That's what I questioned, specifically. I absolutely question that 10,000 Russian soldiers have been killed.

Whatcha got?

What idiot said that Putin is struggling because of Biden's brilliance?

That is a common tactic used by Biden's critics. They create what a writer said, then criticize the writer based on their creation. It is an incredibly stupid tactic, borne of desperation.
So your post was only ~94% hackish, Trump obsessed bullshit then. I stand corrected.

I'm talking about supporting the numbers of Russian soldiers killed. That's what I questioned, specifically. I absolutely question that 10,000 Russian soldiers have been killed.

Whatcha got?
I don't have anything that can be relied on. Nonetheless, the Russians themselves reporting that 10,000 have been killed and then the government taking it down, does strongly suggest that it is at least that number, if not more. In addition, common sense also suggest the number is right (or higher). The Ukrainians have shown ability to kill and the Russian have shown incompetence and a lack of desire to fight and they are "sitting" ducks out there. I would be shocked if the number is less and would not be surprised if the number is more.

Then again and since neither can be proven, believe whatever you want to believe. Neither of our ideas means anything other than for this debate.

One thing that is absolutely 100% certain. The Russians have shown a high degree of incompetence while the Ukrainians have show a high degree of competence and desire to defend their country. It is not a scenario that favors the Russians or favors less deaths than reported.

End of story.

I don't have anything that can be relied on. Nonetheless, the Russians themselves reporting that 10,000 have been killed and then the government taking it down, does strongly suggest that it is at least that number, if not more. In addition, common sense also suggest the number is right (or higher). The Ukrainians have shown ability to kill and the Russian have shown incompetence and a lack of desire to fight and they are "sitting" ducks out there. I would be shocked if the number is less and would not be surprised if the number is more.

Then again and since neither can be proven, believe whatever you want to believe. Neither of our ideas means anything other than for this debate.

One thing that is absolutely 100% certain. The Russians have shown a high degree of incompetence while the Ukrainians have show a high degree of competence and desire to defend their country. It is not a scenario that favors the Russians or favors less deaths than reported.

End of story.

The story is that you swallowed "little Mary Sunshine" info just because you wanted to believe it. And then you posted it as fact.

I'd love to believe that 7-15,000 Russian soldiers have been killed (well not really but I'd like what it meant to the ongoing invasion)...but I'm not just going to accept stuff just because I want to believe it.

And it's apparent from your persistent, desperate re-posting of biased info that YOUR story is not based on critical thinking, but on your hopeful aganda. You are posting what you want to believe...but it's not well-sourced or supported.

End of story.

Russians are fighting to achieve some far-flung and mostly dubious political objective.
Ukrainians are fighting to save their country and their very lives.
If I've learned anything in my sixty-five years, it's that it's almost impossible to beat people who are fighting
for their very lives.

Vladimir Putin has already begun threatening the lives of his very own, the Russian people.
He is now talking about "necessary cleansing" of Russian society.
That's ethnic cleansing, an internal pogrom.
Taken together as a whole, with the attacks on a people trying to defend their very lives, I don't see a path to either victory or success of
any kind for Putin.

And the moment he begins training his apparatus on his own people, I think he will be done.
Make no mistake, we should not interpret such a turn of events as reason to celebrate because power vacuums invite
every evil known to man, and at this point those are what is best poised to rush in to fill it.

I'm not buying those numbers. 7-15,000 Russian soldiers dead? Come on.

Also, who in Putin's inner circle gets to 'resign?' Is he already out of the country?
That number includes dead, injured, POWs and MIAs. Some soldiers are just abandoning their equipment and running into the woods. When your commander tries to feed you MREs with expiration dates of 2002, I be running away fast.

Back
Top Bottom