• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First Lady Wants People to Drink More Plain Water.....

I believe this thread was attempting to discuss water, mainly bottled water, and not get into the political slashing. Keep that thought for another thread, 'k?

no, freaking out because an obama said drink more water is pretty much partisan hackery. Also, i have actually listened to the michelle quote and she did not specify bottled water and even mentioned tap water or any type of water. So no this is not about bottled water. This is about plain water which can come from many places, and as intelligent people know is a requirement for the healthy operations of our body and our continued existence so the statement was correct, promoted health, and there is no actual reason to freak out over someone mentioning drinking water except that it is partisan hate of anything with the Obama name on it. So please take any logical and rational arguments and save them for someplace where people are not arguing against the healthy and necessary human consumption of water because sanity and reason have no place here.

no, freaking out because an obama said drink more water is pretty much partisan hackery. Also, i have actually listened to the michelle quote and she did not specify bottled water and even mentioned tap water or any type of water. So no this is not about bottled water. This is about plain water which can come from many places, and as intelligent people know is a requirement for the healthy operations of our body and our continued existence so the statement was correct, promoted health, and there is no actual reason to freak out over someone mentioning drinking water except that it is partisan hate of anything with the Obama name on it. So please take any logical and rational arguments and save them for someplace where people are not arguing against the healthy and necessary human consumption of water because sanity and reason have no place here.

You really missed the point, didn't you? The comparison between bottled and from-the-source, cost and health wise. A few off shoots, but that's the gist of it.

No one freaked out, that's something in your mind.

Have a nice day.

You really missed the point, didn't you? The comparison between bottled and from-the-source, cost and health wise. A few off shoots, but that's the gist of it.

Have a nice day.

yeah, I would be ashamed and walk away too if I got caught arguing against water. Your excuse is noted, and it is still ignorance on an astounding and personally life threatening level.

yeah, I would be ashamed and walk away too if I got caught arguing against water. Your excuse is noted, and it is still ignorance on an astounding and personally life threatening level.

WTF?

You obviously haven't read the thread, nor any of my posts. After you do, your apology will be noted.

Have a nice day.

The cost aspect is still a wash, at least initially. If a person drinks three bottled sodas a day, then switches to three bottled waters a day, they're still paying for three bottles of something at probably the same retail price. Hence, the monetary cost to them is unchanged. Plus, the 'cost' to the environment remains essentially unchanged as it's still three bottles of something being produced and disposed of.

However, they have made a move in a positive direction health-wise, and might... maybe... save some money on healthcare costs down the road. We can then also work to educate them about the environmental costs of the bottles and move them toward using refillable bottles from home such as you do.

People often move in small steps. Drastic wholesale change is rare. As long as they're positive steps then we should encourage it.

yes I am, but you are avoiding the topic.

Well my sweet troll, as to the op, I consider hydration a top 10 item in my life. And I applaud the flotus' admonition basic as it may be .

The first lady can go away, She is already making children starve with school lunches. Eating healthier apparently means meager portions and more expensive food. . .

Michelle Obama has pushed Americans to eat healthier and to exercise more. Now she says we should "drink up" too. As in plain water. And more of it.

a3646913c8d9271e3d0f6a706700bcee.jpg

The first lady, who has spent several years highlighting the problem of childhood obesity, is getting behind a national campaign being announced Thursday to encourage people to drink more old-fashioned, calorie-free water. Whether it comes from a faucet, an underground spring, a rambling river or a plastic bottle, the message is: "Drink up."

She was joining the Partnership for a Healthier America as the nonpartisan, nonprofit group launches the effort from Watertown, Wis., with backing from a variety of sources, including the beverage industry, media, government and entertainers such as actress Eva Longoria. Mrs. Obama is the partnership's honorary chairwoman.

The first lady said she has realized since beginning the childhood obesity initiative in 2010 that drinking more water is the best thing people can do for their health.

"Drink just one more glass of water a day and you can make a real difference for your health, your energy and the way you feel. So 'drink up' and see for yourself," she said in a statement before the announcement.

Every bodily system depends on water, which makes up about 60 percent of a person's body weight, according to the Mayo Clinic. Water also is a calorie-free option for people concerned about weight control, is largely inexpensive and is available practically everywhere.

How much water a person should drink daily depends on various factors, including their health, activity level and where they live. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, and, in 2004, the Institute of Medicine decided against recommending a daily amount of water. The institute said the average person gets enough water every day from a mix of beverages, including caffeinated ones, and the water that exists in fruits and other foods.....snip~

Sheeeeeees' Baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Drink up the First Lady says. Okay water is healthy or suppose to be. Most know this. Course now the Extreme Right will be questioning what is being put into the Water. :shock: Could it be.....Colorless and Odorless Obama Kool-Aid?

You Will be Assimilated. :2razz:

EC_180207_ObamaBorg.jpg

borg_barack_obamas_redistributionist_government_bumper_sticker-r479851f1e0584a7cbd33b424dd3aa50e_v9wht_8byvr_324.jpg

I believe this thread was attempting to discuss water, mainly bottled water, and not get into the political slashing. Keep that thought for another thread, 'k?

Heya GG
hat.gif
.....Yeah and I think we can encircle the planet like 4 times with all the plastic bottles out there. Good thing the Government didn't try to come up with a way to get us to eat plastic. :lol:

BottledWater1.jpg

Heya TR. :2wave: It was stated way in the beginning of this thread and then down the line that MO didn't say anything about Bottled water. She said Drink more water. She didn't say any kinds. So no its not about dumping on Michelle Obama. All know water is healthy.....so we started talking about water and the types of water. Now we have been talking about Water that isn't so healthy for one. Plus all other types of waters and people are just having some fun playing in the water. ;)

200869413400.500mljpeg.JPG

calmdown.gif
.....:2razz:

The first lady can go away, She is already making children starve with school lunches. Eating healthier apparently means meager portions and more expensive food. . .

Mornin' Lukas.....Welcome to the Forums of Debate Politics.
yo2.gif

bottled-water-vs-tap-water-3-bg.jpg

:2razz:

Heya GG
hat.gif
.....Yeah and I think we can encircle the planet like 4 times with all the plastic bottles out there. Good thing the Government didn't try to come up with a way to get us to eat plastic. :lol:

Considering the taste of some of the processed food out there, one has to wonder if they DID come up with a way! :lol:

Back before I had the RO system, I did do the bottled water, but I recycled them. Even brought them home empty from work with me to recycle. But it's still a waste and adding to garbage disposal problems.
Most of the American society is so convinced that convenience is everything, without considering the impact on the world around us.

Heya GG
hat.gif

BottledWater1.jpg

"40% of all bottled water comes from the tap and 0% has to adhere to government standards for clean water." (Emphasis in red mine)

Incomplete information. Lies-by-omission. Fear mongering. Intentionally misleading.

Of the water that comes from the tap, it has already met government standards. Strict government standards. It met those standards before it went through the tap. (If a tap in the US)

Of the water that comes from other sources, that may be a different story. But to make a blanket statement that all bottled water faces no standards whatsoever is patently false.

Considering the taste of some of the processed food out there, one has to wonder if they DID come up with a way! :lol:

Back before I had the RO system, I did do the bottled water, but I recycled them. Even brought them home empty from work with me to recycle. But it's still a waste and adding to garbage disposal problems.
Most of the American society is so convinced that convenience is everything, without considering the impact on the world around us.

I won't front. The primary reason I got my RO system was I didn't want to lug around water anymore. That's stuff's heavy.

Of course now I'm totally sold on the concept for many others reasons as well.

"40% of all bottled water comes from the tap and 0% has to adhere to government standards for clean water." (Emphasis in red mine)

Incomplete information. Lies-by-omission. Fear mongering. Intentionally misleading.

Of the water that comes from the tap, it has already met government standards. Strict government standards. It met those standards before it went through the tap. (If a tap in the US)

Of the water that comes from other sources, that may be a different story. But to make a blanket statement that all bottled water faces no standards whatsoever is patently false.

I doubt any here is looking to fear monger or intentionally mislead anything or anyone. I have just been postin up pics and whatever charts they had with the Pics of the Bottled water. Was more interested in some copping a smile or a lil chuckle.

I had this one up before Showing tap water if filtered.

20110628tu-bottled-water-versus-vs-municipal-city-tap-water-review-comparison.jpg

Well my sweet troll, as to the op, I consider hydration a top 10 item in my life. And I applaud the flotus' admonition basic as it may be .

Well then what is your problem? Seriously, the whole discussion was pretty pointless and michelle pretty much stated the obvious. get yourself some more water, it helps you live. You can alter the topic for bitching purposes, but that just becomes an excuse since she really just said more water. She did not even specify it just has to come from bottles, and someone with knowledge knows there are plenty of perfectly environmentally friendly ways to get pure clean water.

look if you want to make this about bottled water, which michelle did not, you do have alternatives. There are filtration systems that can purify most water. If you are in a fracking area supermarkerts now allow you to exchange the huge water cooler bottles so you do not have to get all the little ones. They make these things called cups which you can wash and re-use. What is the argument? There are plenty of perfectly good solutions to the garbage problem, and you still need to drink water. BTW that should probably be in the top 2. It goes air, water, then food. Those are pretty much the priorities in basic human survival. Again, do not get mad at me because your argument is silly.

Well then what is your problem? Seriously, the whole discussion was pretty pointless and michelle pretty much stated the obvious. get yourself some more water, it helps you live. You can alter the topic for bitching purposes, but that just becomes an excuse since she really just said more water. She did not even specify it just has to come from bottles, and someone with knowledge knows there are plenty of perfectly environmentally friendly ways to get pure clean water.

look if you want to make this about bottled water, which michelle did not, you do have alternatives. There are filtration systems that can purify most water. If you are in a fracking area supermarkerts now allow you to exchange the huge water cooler bottles so you do not have to get all the little ones. They make these things called cups which you can wash and re-use. What is the argument? There are plenty of perfectly good solutions to the garbage problem, and you still need to drink water. BTW that should probably be in the top 2. It goes air, water, then food. Those are pretty much the priorities in basic human survival. Again, do not get mad at me because your argument is silly.

I'm starting to think you might be confusing me with someone else?

What's my problem about what? Please point out where I had a problem?

I've never complained about Michelle Obama or her water. You are arguing with a ghost. Please don't go into the light little pink troll!

Heya TR. :2wave: It was stated way in the beginning of this thread and then down the line that MO didn't say anything about Bottled water. She said Drink more water. She didn't say any kinds. So no its not about dumping on Michelle Obama. All know water is healthy.....so we started talking about water and the types of water. Now we have been talking about Water that isn't so healthy for one. Plus all other types of waters and people are just having some fun playing in the water. ;)

200869413400.500mljpeg.JPG

calmdown.gif
.....:2razz:

yes, i know how it works. It was silly arguing against water so the republican views switch over to garbage and pollution. Two subjects which they probably have contributed to causing on a massive scale. Why do we need to be concerned about getting pure water? Deregulated industry tossing crap into our drinking water. Why are little plastic bottles a problem? because environmentalism and leaving a smaller footprint is hard and evil. Yet even with all these problems america still has options which are cheap and efficient at getting drinking water to it's people. For 30 cents i can walk into any supermarket and get a gallon of clean water. I just need a container. If i save the container i can do it again. But remember recycling is evil to the right. it is part of that whole environmental thing which oddly you have undermined here. yeah, you might be able to argue about global warming, but the reality is pollution exists. Whether or not you are worried about global warming, or just the reality that your water has crap in it, and plastic bottles lead to a garbage problem, it is still all an endorsement for the idea of the EPA.

Change the story, but the argument is still absurd and crazy. It is your choice to pound crap into your body through flavored drinks. I am not getting into the way, and neither did michelle even suggest getting into the way. Just said it was a good idea to drink water. You may have to take the next step in thought there and determine if the water you are drinking is healthy, or worry about garbage, but that is not her fault.

I'm starting to think you might be confusing me with someone else?

What's my problem about what? Please point out where I had a problem?

I've never complained about Michelle Obama or her water. You are arguing with a ghost. Please don't go into the light little pink troll!

Yes, you chose an argument with me, and to make an excuse. if you agree with the overall idea then move on. if you want to argue then you get to argue against what I said. I do not play the argument shift game so you can make a point. So if you agree with me then good. you should have either agreed or stayed silent.

Heya TR. :2wave: It was stated way in the beginning of this thread and then down the line that MO didn't say anything about Bottled water. She said Drink more water. She didn't say any kinds. So no its not about dumping on Michelle Obama. All know water is healthy.....so we started talking about water and the types of water. Now we have been talking about Water that isn't so healthy for one. Plus all other types of waters and people are just having some fun playing in the water.
IMG]http://politicalbullpen.com/smile/emoticons/calmdown.gif[/IMG].....:2razz:

shhh mmc. The pink troll pony seems to have gone into some don Quixote style frenzy. I think we should let it calm down and go back to sleep. Go have a sip of water in the meantime.

Yes, you chose an argument with me, and to make an excuse. if you agree with the overall idea then move on. if you want to argue then you get to argue against what I said. I do not play the argument shift game so you can make a point. So if you agree with me then good. you should have either agreed or stayed silent.
Michelle Obama said you should drink more water.
Teriblerun said conservatives will now die of thirst.
cAPS says one of the above statements is retarded trolling.

Now go back to sleep.

yes, i know how it works. It was silly arguing against water so the republican views switch over to garbage and pollution. Two subjects which they probably have contributed to causing on a massive scale. Why do we need to be concerned about getting pure water? Deregulated industry tossing crap into our drinking water. Why are little plastic bottles a problem? because environmentalism and leaving a smaller footprint is hard and evil. Yet even with all these problems america still has options which are cheap and efficient at getting drinking water to it's people. For 30 cents i can walk into any supermarket and get a gallon of clean water. I just need a container. If i save the container i can do it again. But remember recycling is evil to the right. it is part of that whole environmental thing which oddly you have undermined here. yeah, you might be able to argue about global warming, but the reality is pollution exists. Whether or not you are worried about global warming, or just the reality that your water has crap in it, and plastic bottles lead to a garbage problem, it is still all an endorsement for the idea of the EPA.

Change the story, but the argument is still absurd and crazy. It is your choice to pound crap into your body through flavored drinks. I am not getting into the way, and neither did michelle even suggest getting into the way. Just said it was a good idea to drink water. You may have to take the next step in thought there and determine if the water you are drinking is healthy, or worry about garbage, but that is not her fault.

TR.....your doing it wrong. :lol:

bottled-water-in-can.jpg

single_glass_horizontal.jpg

:2razz:.....:lol:

She's right and its a worthwhile campaign. Billions have been spent on advertising to convince people to drink anything but tap water. The result is an obesity epidemic and millions wasted on bottled water.

Tap water is tested for safety more than bottled water, but people wrongly think that bottled water is safer or healthier. In many cases, bottled water is tap water. The botttling of water and distribution of it has a significant negative environmental impact and virtually no benefit. A benefit of tap water is that it makes you more resistant to your local bacteria.

Even the healthiest fruit beverages are full of sugars with relatively little nutritional value. It is much healthier to eat the fruit in its natural state (to get the nutients] and drink tap water.

Most people don't know this stuff, so an informational campaign is a good idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom