• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

First clinical trial about the efficency of Vitamin D against covid 19.

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
There finally is a clinical trial for vitamin d supplements for people who get admitted to the hospital.

The results are.. well quite astounding to me.

The First Clinical Trial to Support Vitamin D Therapy For Covid-19 | by Shin Jie Yong | Microbial Instincts | Sep, 2020 | Medium

Oral calcifediol, the main metabolite of vitamin D3, reduced ICU admission from 50% to 2% among Covid-19 patients.

Why this took so long to actually have a clinical trial, I don't know> It's extremely cheap, it's OTC, and it seems to be very effective. It also explains a lot of the reasons the vulnerable populations are vulnerable.

So, to me, the new mantra will be

"Wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, and take your vitamin D supplements .. particularly in the winter"

There finally is a clinical trial for vitamin d supplements for people who get admitted to the hospital.

The First Clinical Trial to Support Vitamin D Therapy For Covid-19 | by Shin Jie Yong | Microbial Instincts | Sep, 2020 | Medium

Why this took so long to actually have a clinical trial, I don't know> It's extremely cheap, it's OTC, and it seems to be very effective. It also explains a lot of the reasons the vulnerable populations are vulnerable.

"Wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, and take your vitamin D supplements .. particularly in the winter"

Interesting.

Some points:
1) calcifediol is not OTC- it’s the activated form of Vitamin D. This is NOT a trial of supplements.

2) it’s a small single center pilot trial, with a soft endpoint of ICU admission, but it’s blinded and randomized, which is big. But the randomization is odd. Big proportion of males (who have worse outcomes) in the placebo group.
Also, not consistent with current Tx practices- patients got HCQ and azithromycin. No steroids noted, no remdisivir.

3) the response rate is huge. Too good to be true, to some extent. It changes ICU hospitalization risk (a soft, non objective measure) from 50:50 to 98:2 percent.

4) certainly suggestive of running a larger trial with a mortality or objective clinical worsening endpoint.

I’ll also note that it’s a clinical trial placed in a third rate journal that tends not to publish clinical trials. Makes me wonder why this paper wasn’t submitted to a place where actual practitioners read it. Makes it a bit suspicious to be honest... spectacular clinical results in a basic science journal? Definite red flag.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Some points:
1) calcifediol is not OTC- it’s the activated form of Vitamin D. This is NOT a trial of supplements.

2) it’s a small single center pilot trial, with a soft endpoint of ICU admission, but it’s blinded and randomized, which is big. But the randomization is odd. Big proportion of males (who have worse outcomes) in the placebo group.
Also, not consistent with current Tx practices- patients got HCQ and azithromycin. No steroids noted, no remdisivir.

3) the response rate is huge. Too good to be true, to some extent. It changes ICU hospitalization risk (a soft, non objective measure) from 50:50 to 98:2 percent.

4) certainly suggestive of running a larger trial with a mortality or objective clinical worsening endpoint.

I’ll also note that it’s a clinical trial placed in a third rate journal that tends not to publish clinical trials. Makes me wonder why this paper wasn’t submitted to a place where actual practitioners read it. Makes it a bit suspicious to be honest... spectacular clinical results in a basic science journal? Definite red flag.

Looking further, I noticed that there is another clinical trial going on to up vitamin d level OPKO Health Initiates Clinical Trial of RAYALDEE in COVID-19 Patients :: OPKO Health, Inc. (OPK)

This trial has been published for two weeks- literally no traction. Part of it is the journal that it’s in... it’s a bizarre choice, and given the eye popping results, I’m pretty skeptical.

Could be.. btu the OPKO is entering phase 2 trials for basically the same thing. So, I will be interested in seeing of the result of that clinical trial works out similarly. Your points are well taken though.

Just to make it simple it was D2, not D3 used in the study. My internet research shows that both are comparable in efficacy.

Could be.. btu the OPKO is entering phase 2 trials for basically the same thing. So, I will be interested in seeing of the result of that clinical trial works out similarly. Your points are well taken though.

Protip- don’t trust press releases from obscure pharma companies.

If it’s not registered on clinicaltrials.gov, it’s not real.

Actually, what IS on the site is a much larger study, from the same site, with a similar design, which kinda suggests that this was supposed to be a large trial that got truncated, or maybe they are releasing the preliminary data for the first 75 patients, but I did t see mention of that in the paper.

Last edited:

There were only 76 participants in the whole study. And at the time the standard of care was to also give HDQ and azithromycin. I am not excited about this. Its too small a study and other drugs were given at the same time.

There were only 76 participants in the whole study. And at the time the standard of care was to also give HDQ and azithromycin. I am not excited about this. Its too small a study and other drugs were given at the same time.

Good enough. I did notice there are 11 studies in various stages (Most recuriting ) for this We will see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom