• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Firing squads

Gateman_Wen

Official disruptive influence
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
South Carolina now has the means to perform capital punishment by firing squad.

I'm anti death penalty, but if it's gotta happen I'd prefer something a bit more 21st century.

I sort of wonder why it was done away with? I would think lethal injections and the electric chair are more barbaric than a headshot where the person dies instantly.

But, I'm not a huge supporter of the death penalty....I understand why it exists, but find it unfortunate.

I sort of wonder why it was done away with? I would think lethal injections and the electric chair are more barbaric than a headshot where the person dies instantly.

But, I'm not a huge supporter of the death penalty....I understand why it exists, but find it unfortunate.
Firing squads don't do headshots. It deprives the family of open casket funerals.

I sort of wonder why it was done away with?
4 or five other states already have firing squads. This state just joined them.
I would think lethal injections and the electric chair are more barbaric than a headshot where the person dies instantly.

Firing squads don't do headshots. It deprives the family of open casket funerals.
They don't even need a man to pull the trigger anymore. Just one guy presses a button from around the corner.

Totally against the death penalty. I'd prefer child molesters be mutilated. But it is too often, however seldom, that people are wrongly convicted and that those people are disproportionately minorities. Also too often, death sentences are carried out that result in excruciating death. I'm a proponent, for many yrs, of a firing squad. Have enough shooters with few of them, not just one, having a live cartridge.

I think the main problem is getting people to volunteer to be executioners at a firing squad.
I doubt it's something you can force someone to do.

I think the main problem is getting people to volunteer to be executioners at a firing squad.
See post 6.

I'm anti death penalty, but if it's gotta happen I'd prefer something a bit more 21st century.

I don't know. I think a bullet to the head is actually more appealing than lethal injection. I think I would lose my mind if my wife were falsely convicted of murder and endured lethal injection.

Last edited:
I don't know. I think a bullet to the head is actually more appealing than lethal injection. I think I would lose my mind if my wife were falsely convicted of murder and endured lethal injection.
lethal injection sounds horrible. there is speculation of people being unable to move or speak but going through agonizing pain for minutes on end.

People can be killed humanely by placing them in a sealed chamber and filling it with an inert gas like nitrogen, but my guess is state agents like the idea of shooting people instead.

Let's not forget that the government has no incentive to get (and kill) the right person, and the state agent responsible for the wrongful homicide will face no consequences.

People can be killed humanely by placing them in a sealed chamber and filling it with an inert gas like nitrogen, but my guess is state agents like the idea of shooting people instead.

Let's not forget that the government has no incentive to get (and kill) the right person, and the state agent responsible for the wrongful homicide will face no consequences.

You really do have a rather sick view of government.
They have no incentive to get the right person? You think they really don't care if they execute the wrong person?

Firing squads are not good. Then again death penalty is not my choice for any crime.

All forms of capital punishment in the world are unacceptable IMO but what is worse than anything that the US system is completely insane. It is 100% sure that innocent people get executed due to the ludicrous idea that even if an innocent man gets convicted, as long as he had a "fair trial" he will not get a new trial or an appeal. If an innocent man is sitting on death row judges can and will deny a new trial if his original trial was "fair". Innocence is not an argument according to the supreme court so getting a new trial is totally based on the whims of the local prosecutor or judge rather than on sound evidence. And if that can happen, the death penalty is a monstrous punishment.

And then I am not even talking about the haphazard way it is handed down or asked for.

When the Nuremburg Trials 2.0 commences against the Jan 6 insurrectionists, the court venue needs to be in South Carolina.
Works for me. ;)

You'd think, but I read that when Gary Gilmour was about to be executed by firing squad in Provo, Utah the State Department of corrections was flooded with volunteers.
It's odd how some people who express dismay that a doctor would perform an abortion have no problem with a doctor presiding over an execution.

It looks ****ing medieval!

1647724935559.png

You really do have a rather sick view of government.
They have no incentive to get the right person? You think they really don't care if they execute the wrong person?
He said they will face no consequences for getting the wrong person. Not the same thing.

does anyone know how many Americans our governments (state or federal) have killed/executed that were later exonerated?

I didn’t even think of that aspect.

Yeah, outside of a headshot, it would definitely be cruel.
It helps to understand that all of these newer methods for executing someone we've invented exist purely to make it more palatable to the public, not to be easier on the subject. All of the methods we have ever used are cruel.

No more executions.

Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom