• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Firefighters Fiddle While Roseville Burns

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
This is reality. We should at least dispense with all the talk about heroism. In the world of government "public safety" work, it’s all about protecting the safety of the officials. A hero is someone who risks his life to save others. I understand the desire to minimize risks and especially unnecessary risks for firefighters and police, but the whole point of these jobs – as we’re told endlessly by public safety unions and politicians that court them – is that they are first responders who are supposed to endure some risk. Why else do we have them? Why do we pay them such high salaries?

In the law enforcement world, the officer-safety cult has led to senseless deaths of citizens. Police don’t save deadly force for extreme situations. Rather, they would rather use deadly force if they fear any threat to themselves at all – which explains why heavily armed and armored police often kill people who have only small knives after they step within 20 feet of them. That’s what cops are taught to do. Call it necessary if you want, but don’t call it heroism.

This is the result when the mentality; that government will save us becomes the dominate thought.

Firefighters Fiddle While Roseville Burns by Steven Greenhut

This is the result when the mentality; that government will save us becomes the dominate thought.

Firefighters Fiddle While Roseville Burns by Steven Greenhut

I'm not sure what your quote has to do with Roseville. But I sure take exception to this:

In the law enforcement world, the officer-safety cult has led to senseless deaths of citizens. Police don’t save deadly force for extreme situations. Rather, they would rather use deadly force if they fear any threat to themselves at all – which explains why heavily armed and armored police often kill people who have only small knives after they step within 20 feet of them. That’s what cops are taught to do. Call it necessary if you want, but don’t call it heroism.

Police officers are not superhuman. They're, hopefully, well trained to handle the life-threatening emergencies they may find themselves in from time to time. A copper once told me that his shifts were utter boredom 99% of the time and life-threatening mayhem the other 1%. How does one cope with that?

I wonder who defines a "small knife." Police officers have their own set of Rules of Engagement. Adrenelin pumping through one's body can, I'm sure, cause an officer to over react. But, by and large, my money's on the officer to make the right decision when his life is on the line. If we don't stand behind our coppers they shouldn't be armed at all.

After working wildfire for 30 years. I can say there is no piece of dirt on this earth worth a human life. For those who said the fftr's did wrong, what would have you said if they aggressively fought the fire and the backpack was a bomb that went off killing them?

Here a clue, Priorities; 1, firefighters and human life, 2, property.

Mike hit the nail on the head. No piece of property is more important than human life. By going into the building the firefighters would have put themselves at unacceptably high risk for no real reward -- most buildings are torn down after a serious fire. What if they got hurt? Then they would have to be put other personnel at risk. The number one rule of emergency response is to never put yourself put yourself at excessive risk, because if you're hurt, you're just adding to the problem increasing the danger for others.

Chevy, I feel like you are too zealous in going against the government sometimes. Firefighters are expected to be heroic when necessary, not stupid. Oftentimes this line can be hard to distinguish, but when there is a possible bomb in a building with no people trapped inside, the line is a bit more distinct.

Last edited:
"But because he left a backpack behind, and because no one knew if it contained explosives, firefighters waited outside while a bomb squad went in looking for the back pack."

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Seems to me the bomb squad was heroic. No?

As to police officers...there's no way to stop 'suicide by cop'. If the citizen uses deadly force, with any kind of deadly weapon, the police are to respond to protect themselves, fellow officers, and any innocent civilians who could also come to harm.

Unfortunately it happens all the time for various reasons and takes a heavy toll on public safety officers. I don't know how they make it thru 20 year careers, I honestly don't.

Regards from Rosie

From 9/10/2001 back, fire and police workers were said to be 'brave'. You can't be a 'hero' by occupation. You actually have to save someone's life while espousing total disregard for your own. The regulations for both forces tend to keep real heroes and force fatalities to a minimum.

I still believe it takes bravery to work for either force. We don't need heroes. We need minimal fatalities. The only people that should be upset about the Roseville mall fire are the insurance agents.

Back
Top Bottom