• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fiorina "Weather" attack ad on Boxer given PANTS ON FIRE rating

hazlnut

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Fiorina attacks Boxer for caring more about "the weather" than terrorism

As in independent voter who would like to give Fiorina a serious look in November, I am disappointed by her attack ad on Barbara Boxer mocking Climate Change as "the weather".

The ad implies that because Barbara Box thinks that Climate Change is a National Security threat, she won't keep California safe.

Well, I guess the Fiorina people are not aware that both the Pentagon and the CIA consider Climate Change a National Security Threat.

A Quadrennial Defense Review Report issued by the Department of Defense in February 2010 states that "assessments conducted by the intelligence community indicate that climate change could have significant geopolitical impacts around the world, contributing to poverty, environmental degradation, and the further weakening of fragile governments. Climate change will contribute to food and water scarcity, will increase the spread of disease, and may spur or exacerbate mass migration." It concludes that "while climate change alone does not cause conflict, it may act as an accelerant of instability or conflict, placing a burden to respond on civilian institutions and militaries around the world."

Meanwhile, on Sept. 25, 2009, the CIA announced the launch of a Center on Climate Change and National Security. According to a CIA press release announcing the launch, the center's charter "is not the science of climate change," but rather "the national security impact of phenomena such as desertification, rising sea levels, population shifts, and heightened competition for natural resources."

So while there is certainly room for disagreement about how big a national security threat climate change will ultimately be, Boxer is hardly advocating a fringe theory. The notion that climate change will be significant is being discussed at the Pentagon and the CIA.

I am impressed with Fiorina's professional credentials, but California does not need another Jim Inhofe to represent them.

When she said "I ran Hewlett-Packard," she forgot to mention the "...into the ground" part.

edit: Also, since she worked with the CIA you'd think she'd be more aware of their stance on the issue.

When she said "I ran Hewlett-Packard," she forgot to mention the "...into the ground" part.

edit: Also, since she worked with the CIA you'd think she'd be more aware of their stance on the issue.

Maybe I'm confusing her with the eBay gal.

Was Fioria forced out of HP?

I'm guessing I'm waiting for the primaries to be over so we have a better picture of who's running for what -- in CA.

Back
Top Bottom