• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finnish was the second language of Sweden for centuries. Now Arabic is overtaking it.

Re: Finnish was the second language of Sweden for centuries. Now Arabic is overtaking

And since there are, in this particular context, no invasions taking place, that's a rather irrelevant comment.

Re: Finnish was the second language of Sweden for centuries. Now Arabic is overtaking

The UN didn't give anyone special rights to invade another country.

Wait. Isn't this thread complaining that Finns aren't invading Sweden anymore?

How care-free you are with your internet semantics.

That doesn't give you special rights.

Actually, yeah, it does. As the other poster stated, the UN sets special commissions for the refugees.

There's a fine line between caution and paranoia for the sake of paranoia and a good number of people are sailing over it

C'mon Finland you gotta step up your game

No, it's actually about languages. Immigration also brings in languages.

A typical xenophobic thread.. no one takes 2 seconds to even think.

Finish has been declining as a second language for a very very long time due to people not giving a **** about it. Then along comes a bunch of immigrants and of course their language will climb.. but no one complains that the actual second language of Sweden is... English! Why is that? Oh yea they aint Muslim!

A typical xenophobic thread.. no one takes 2 seconds to even think.

Finish has been declining as a second language for a very very long time due to people not giving a **** about it. Then along comes a bunch of immigrants and of course their language will climb.. but no one complains that the actual second language of Sweden is... English! Why is that? Oh yea they aint Muslim!

doch! ja, BS...

No one complains that English is the second language in Sweden because of the ties the two countries have. Because of the the shared interests the two countries have, because the language of business, like it or not is English. Not because they ain't muslim. That's just childish nonsense.

Wont be long and they will be well and truly 'finisshed'.

doch! ja, BS...

No one complains that English is the second language in Sweden because of the ties the two countries have. Because of the the shared interests the two countries have, because the language of business, like it or not is English. Not because they ain't muslim. That's just childish nonsense.
If you actually look at the article that serves as the base for opening this thread, you'll see that nobody in that one is complaining about anything.

The xenophobic component was introduced right from the start by the OP (quoted in the previous post) who obviously either didn't read the article or, by incapacity or by intention, chose to not understand it.

'Smatter, Arabic not a blonde enough language for you?

BSS...Bevara Sverige Svenskt... (Keep Sweden Swedish)

The way it should be.

BSS...Bevara Sverige Svenskt... (Keep Sweden Swedish)

The way it should be.
The way it should be would read "Håll Sverige svenska".

If you actually look at the article that serves as the base for opening this thread, you'll see that nobody in that one is complaining about anything.

The xenophobic component was introduced right from the start by the OP (quoted in the previous post) who obviously either didn't read the article or, by incapacity or by intention, chose to not understand it.

I actually did read the article, thanks.

My issue is with the casual way the word xenophobia is thrown around.

It's used to shame those who'd seek to preserve their own culture.

Most in Sweden embrace a multi-ethnic nation, while rejecting a multicultural one.

Finn's are cousins, arabs, aren't.

The way it should be would read "Håll Sverige svenska".

:lamo

For those using google translate...

I actually did read the article, thanks.

My issue is with the casual way the word xenophobia is thrown around.
I agree to that propensity existing and I don't like that either. But this thread has itself to blame here.

It's used to shame those who'd seek to preserve their own culture.
which again, as I pointed out, is not the issue here.

Most in Sweden embrace a multi-ethnic nation, while rejecting a multicultural one.
and most see the former as existing, rather than the latter.
Finn's are cousins, arabs, aren't.
I've known plenty of Finns and Swedes who'd disagree heavily with the take of being cousins. Especially when it came to people of Helsinki describing the bunch using the duty free ferry from Stockholm where they'd spent the night partying. And equally when it came to the Stockholmers describing the bunch that did the same, only this time coming from Helsinki.:mrgreen:

:lamo

For those using google translate...
You Swedish or sumpin'?

I wasn't referring to that organisation.

and most see the former as existing, rather than the latter.

There's not as much love for Löfven as you'd think...

I've known plenty of Finns and Swedes who'd disagree heavily with the take of being cousins. Especially when it came to people of Helsinki describing the bunch using the duty free ferry from Stockholm where they'd spent the night partying. And equally when it came to the Stockholders describing the bunch that did the same, only this time coming from Helsinki.:mrgreen:

Mexicans and Puerto Ricans don't like to admit the relation either...;)

You Swedish or sumpin'?

I wasn't referring to that organisation.

I am Swedish, or sumpin'... :)

If you know the organization than you should know what I was doing there... missed it? You must be Norwegian...:lol:

There's not as much love for Löfven as you'd think...
Heck, who loves politicos?
Mexicans and Puerto Ricans don't like to admit the relation either...;)
even where, other than Finns and Swedes, they share a common language.

Well, sort of :mrgreen:
I am Swedish, or sumpin'... :)
me too, stress on the latter

If you know the organization than you should know what I was doing there... missed it?
Looks like it.
You must be Norwegian...:lol:
o sumpin' ;)

وأنا متأكد من أنها الإنجليزية ، في الواقع.

وأنا متأكد من أنها الإنجليزية ، في الواقع.
and if "foreign" were allowed on here (better watch that!!), I'd say "c'est vrai".

As things stand I'll say "that's true", same thing.

It is indeed English and you can indeed be sure.;)

and if "foreign" were allowed on here (better watch that!!), I'd say "c'est vrai".

As things stand I'll say "that's true", same thing.

It is indeed English and you can indeed be sure.;)

Je t'aime.

(And don't you dare reply, "Moi non plus") :cool:

Je t'aime.

(And don't you dare reply, "Moi non plus") :cool:
...admittedly my very first impulse :mrgreen:

But I'm all aglow now anyway.;)

doch! ja, BS...

Actually there are plenty complaints about English in non English countries. Norway, France and others have tried to ban the use of English words in their language.. like computer, or burger.. So people do complain about the influence of English.

And this is just another anti-Muslim xenophobic thread.

Actually there are plenty complaints about English in non English countries. Norway, France and others have tried to ban the use of English words in their language.. like computer, or burger.. So people do complain about the influence of English.

Absolutely right. France had to pass a law enforcing a certain percentage of Francophone songs on music radio stations since English music was just taking over, and yes, that bothers people like the Académie Française, the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie and large chunks of the general population. People here do moan that email has replaced courriel, stop is replacing arrêt and is even being conjugated like a French "er" verb (je stoppe, tu stoppes etc.) Québec is one the last bastions of Francophonie, stubbornly refusing anglicisms. Even the tele-reality cr@p "The Voice" is "The Voice" in France but "La Voix" in Québec. People do resent the imposition and ever-growing importance of English - and the arrogance of many anglophone countries in their assumption that they don't need to bother with languages since everybody else should speak English.

Come to France and ask "Parlez-vous anglais?" and you'll get a polite reply one way or the other in English. Come just assuming arrogantly that your English will be understood and you'll meet a stubborn resistance to speak any English whatsoever - love it:mrgreen:
And this is just another anti-Muslim xenophobic thread.
Amen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom