• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finnish President: Putin's goal in Ukraine is not regime change

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

He's basically saying that Putin just wants more land (primarily).

My guess is Putin has decided to take small bites of the Ukraine (in a worse case scenario for Russia).

More land?

Russia already covers 11 time zones. The largest nation on the earth.

More land?

yeah. but for all that land not really that many people.

and i think their population decreases every year. that's an economic killer.

More land?

On other news, New York City just launched an invasion of Southfield, Michigan because it wants three more tall buildings.

Oh, and India has invaded Cyprus in a bid to increase its population.

yeah. but for all that land not really that many people.

and i think their population decreases every year. that's an economic killer.

Even before the Russian invasion, the population of Ukraine was decreasing.

Ukraine is larger than France, but with 20 million fewer people.

Wait'll Putin takes a "small bite" out of Finland, once a territory of Russia. Finland has no mutual defense agreement with the US or Europe, that I know of. Finland and Sweden do have a MDA in the event of Russian attack. Russia and other Euro countries once went to war, and won, against Sweden. Russia annexed 5 territories of Sweden, incl Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania. Russia has had nothing but territorial expansion ambition in it's entire history.

Wait'll Putin takes a "small bite" out of Finland, once a territory of Russia. Finland has no mutual defense agreement with the US or Europe, that I know of. Finland and Sweden do have a MDA in the event of Russian attack. Russia and other Euro countries once went to war, and won, against Sweden. Russia annexed 5 territories of Sweden, incl Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania. Russia has had nothing but territorial expansion ambition in it's entire history.

What do they want with all that land? Seems odd.

I mean Italy alone has a bigger GDP than all of Russia, with a miniscule fraction of the land. No amount of land is going to make you do better if you don't know how to use it. You're just expanding the amount of land on which people are living under a corrupt, miserable, dysfunctional government.

I mean Italy alone has a bigger GDP than all of Russia, with a miniscule fraction of the land. No amount of land is going to make you do better if you don't know how to use it. You're just expanding the amount of land on which people are living under a corrupt, miserable, dysfunctional government.
agree

IMO, it's mostly about Putin's territorial expansion in his vision of all that Russia once was, which would have Russia replacing the UK as #5 in GDP. Putin just wants his land back. What's wrong with that? (Ex post facto HEAVY SNARK warning).

IMO, it's mostly about Putin's territorial expansion in his vision of all that Russia once was, which would have Russia replacing the UK as #5 in GDP. Putin just wants his land back. What's wrong with that? (Ex post facto HEAVY SNARK warning).
it appears he wants that communism back too (or at least what China has).

Back
Top Bottom