• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finnish political news thread

So the government is trying to do something about high electricity bills:

Finland's three-part package to help households with electricity bills

The idea is a one- time payment for high bills in November and December which will be reducted from the bills in March. Not sure how much it helps those that are struggling to pay their bills right now, that they get a cheaper bill in March, but I guess it's something. My December and January bills will probably not be too high, considering I won't be at home the last week in December nor the first week in January. A week with no electricity running in your appartment tend to do wonders for your bill.

Winter flood, winter floods, fun fun fun

Winter floods hit Finland

39-105982563c5429f136e4

Ah the WEF, where the rich ****s go to cry over their good friend Putin not attending, and bragging over how they are going to get richer by stealing from the poor.

Seriously **** the WEF.

Finland's naming committee lists accepted, rejected baby names

So rejected names:
Ahdin, Aicksar, Alfred's daughter, Amnell, Annatar, Appelsiinikki, Azazel, Buddha, Caladrius, Eklander, Ellé, Ephimachius, Felín, Filipecki, Haades, Jezebel, johannes, Juhoha, Julma-Hurtta, Kaaos, Kallen-Kallela, Klapi, Koivuniitty, Kukurtaja, Lord, Lucifer, Maï, Mielivalta, Nat8hquhs, Nex, Otawa, Paperi, Pelekkä, Punpuli, Puukko Armo, Raivomieli, Rikia, Rody's son, Rosmo, samsam, Saturnius, Sheikki, Sorína, Suudelmitar, Taawi, Tanyá, Tsygä, Tuoni, Uakke, Uhka, Ukonvaaja, Wiiru, Åriz

Some of them are easy to see why they were rejected. Like not starting with a capital letter, having a number in the middle. Others seem to be either because they have an association with a negative religious figute (Lucifer, Jezebel) or because it's offensive to a religious group (such as naming your child Buddha, which buddhists would have issue with). Also a title can't be name such as Lord or Sheikki. And why would anyone want to name a child Paperi (meaning paper). I don't see why Tuoni was rejected though, a name from Finnish mythology. One of the many Gods of Pain and Suffering, because Finnish mythology is all about pain and suffering.

Accepted names:
Aamuntähti, Aarnik, Anoo, Arsitar, Avreno, Bobandy, Ellandar, Feeni, Heito, Häkä, Juhania, Kide-Pilvi, Kimara, Konon, Korppi, Lapitar, Lourences, Messis, Mieli, Niittu, Petäjä, Piamon, Pihlajanmarjukka, Pihlamo, Poolo, Pöly, Sanervatar, Saturnus, Sjöbjörn, Taide, Torspo, Unikonsiemen, Wâânutamwee, Yennefer

Aamutähti is amusing (means Morningstar), because Lucifer was rejected, and means the same thing. Some Witcher fan apparently decided to name their daughter Yennefer. Names from fiction are usually accepted as long as they aren't some extremely negative figure.

Son and his gf. are in Helsinki this week, seem to be having a good time. Looks very wintery!

So despite NATO membership being postponed until it fits Erdogan's and Orban's "busy schedule" Finland is going ahead with creating an office of a Security Policy Adviser, a role that would advise the Prime Minister on security policy questions.

Finland to create new 'security policy adviser' role

So those pandas we borrowed from China. Seems they ended up being too expensive.

Finland prepares to return giant pandas to China

Meanwhile El Presidente does not think the PM needs a Security Policy Adviser.

President's office shoots down PM's Nato advisor proposal

Probably afraid the PM taking on more security responsibilities would diminish the President's power.

Meanwhile on the tech sector is the latest sector where the workers are gearing up for a strike.

Union rejects settlement proposal in tech sector standoff

Supplementary budget approved by government, will now go to Parliament (where it will pass)

Government approves €2bn supplementary budget

I bet all the Opposition will vote against it, there is no political scores to be made by agreeing with the government here. NCP will probably say there is too much spending, while the Fascists will say there is nothing that tackles immigration in it, and thus they hate it.

Speaking of Fascists:

MP Turtiainen suspected of two counts of ethnic agitation

Former True Finns member Ano Turtiainen who made fun of George Floyd being choked in a tweet, is now in a bit of trouble.

Parliament passes long-awaited amendments to Finland's transgender law

Yay, finally our transgender laws are on parity with our Nordic peers. We are getting better, slowly. The changes to the law passed 113 to 69. SDP, Greens, Left and SPP all voted for. Center Party was split with a majority voting against, NCP was also split, but with a majority voting for the changes. CD and True Finns voted against the law. 17 MPs were absent.

The Finnish government today convened to decide which jet fighters they'll buy to replace the old Hornets. Rumors says they went with F-35s from Lockheed Martin. Other possible companies that had made offers were SAAB, Boeing, Dassault and BAE Systems.

Election season has begun, I got my notification by mail yesterday. Election day is April 2nd.

PM Sanna Marin: Finland has not promised Hornet jets to Ukraine

The whole Hornet affair. PM Marin spoke out of order (probably as a election stunt). She got rightly clubbed by both President Saulu Niinistö and Minister of Defence Antti Kaikkonen for making statements about security policy that had not been discussed internally. And of course Finland can not deliver any Hornets without US support, nor before Finland has go the F-35s, and the first F-35s are not supposed to be delivered until 2025. So now she has to backtrack her statement, which is very embarrassing for her.

So the latest campaign stunt by the True Finns:

773x435_cmsv2_2571dd5b-0c1f-5991-9f68-2e92b90dd46b-7468708.jpg

On the right side: East Helsinki, like going abroad, and a picture of a woman in burka. On the left side: You know why. A picture of the what an ideal Nordic Finn look like. And then the True Finns logo. Because of course they are race baiting as they always do.

Outcry as Finland election campaign hit by 'racist' advertising

So I voted today. There was actually a queu in the post office. That's a good sign. First day of early voting, won't be in my constituency on election day proper, so just thought I'd get it over with as soon as possible.

Okay I like this one. All the party leaders of the parties with seats in Parliament.

39-10831356409e60b09e30.jpg

And I guess the fact that seven out of nine party leaders are women is a good thing.

Everything you need to know about Finland's general election

Euronews has a good article regarding the upcoming election. Early voting is now over, on Sunday is the actual election day.

I don't think Hornetgate really hurts Marin, foreign policy issues tend not to be that important. I think the SDP might lose the largest party position, and NCP might be the one leading government negotiations a week from now, but I don't think Hornetgate is the thing that makes SDP lose. NCP has had a lead long before that, and SDP has actually increased in the polls, not shrunk recently.

Hornetgate is of course very embarrassing for Marin though.

Back
Top Bottom