• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fingers crossed for SNAP

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
After going through the process of applying for SNAP, I have to laugh when I hear people complain about how EASY it is to get food stamps.

My fiancee and I got to the offices at 10am, when they open, and we didn't LEAVE until 4pm. And man, they want to know about everything you have, everything you make, and everything you own before they budge. I cant fault them for it, but I wasn't expecting to have to bring proof of where the $50 in my checking account came from.

The fingerprinting and photograph was a little odd, not entirely certain what purpose it serves.

I just hope we get accepted to the program. The extra $350 a month will do A LOT to help. We can go back to eating more than one meal a day! With real meat, no more "manager's special"!

I appreciate the program's existence and I dont fault it for being so complicated to get into, but it's a very tedious and time consuming process.

The fingerprinting and photographic is disturbing.

After going through the process of applying for SNAP, I have to laugh when I hear people complain about how EASY it is to get food stamps.

My fiancee and I got to the offices at 10am, when they open, and we didn't LEAVE until 4pm. And man, they want to know about everything you have, everything you make, and everything you own before they budge. I cant fault them for it, but I wasn't expecting to have to bring proof of where the $50 in my checking account came from.

The fingerprinting and photograph was a little odd, not entirely certain what purpose it serves.

I just hope we get accepted to the program. The extra $350 a month will do A LOT to help. We can go back to eating more than one meal a day! With real meat, no more "manager's special"!

I appreciate the program's existence and I dont fault it for being so complicated to get into, but it's a very tedious and time consuming process.

You're joking right?

This is why you see me and others on the forum upset about government-run health care. Government-run anything involves much time and bureaucratic nonsense. It's never efficient or affordable.

Wow, almost as hard as looking for a job. :2razz:
Wow, ok, you can go to hell. And yeah, I took that personally. When you've been looking for a job for eight months and you've only got another month's rent in the bank and you're trying to do something to buy you a little more time when some smart-ass comes along and decides to make massively unfounded assumptions, I take that personally.

That is weird, you don't have to do that here.
You can even apply over the internet.
Is yours a state or federal program? SNAP is a federal program run through the USDA, not a state program. I dont know if California has a state foodstamp program or if it pays into the federal one.

This is why you see me and others on the forum upset about government-run health care. Government-run anything involves much time and bureaucratic nonsense. It's never efficient or affordable.
That's the price of accountability. Yes it takes a little patience to get things done and you need to have the right paperwork, but at the end of the day, it really isnt that hard. As much as I bitch about it, it was not a crippling process that would have gone a lot faster had I had all the paperwork I'd needed, it takes a long time for a lot of people because they dont follow simple directions. It gets bogged down also because there isnt enough money to let the program hire the staff it needs to process things quickly.

Yes, it's a little annoying to have to spend several hours waiting and get together a huge pile of paperwork. But it means we could receive up to $350 a month for food. I consider that a MORE than fair trade-off.

Is yours a state or federal program? SNAP is a federal program run through the USDA, not a state program. I dont know if California has a state foodstamp program or if it pays into the federal one.

Oh I see now, yea snap is a fed program. :doh

California does have a food stamp/EBT program, you may earn to much to participate
The processing should be quicker/less invasive, you may want to check it out.

It's usually administered from the local DFACS (or your equivalent) office.

Good Luck! Hope you get it:)

Hey hoplite, i was just razzing you. Take comfort to know at leadt your no longer counted in the unemployment statistic touted by the administration. :ssst:

(still razzing you. I hope for the best for you and your family.)

Hey hoplite, i was just razzing you. Take comfort to know at leadt your no longer counted in the unemployment statistic touted by the administration. :ssst:

(still razzing you. I hope for the best for you and your family.)
Ok, just be...aware of how personal stuff like that can sound. I've been out of work for a while and for my money, there are few experiences more personally degrading and draining to a person's spirit than trying to find a job.

Ok, just be...aware of how personal stuff like that can sound. I've been out of work for a while and for my money, there are few experiences more personally degrading and draining to a person's spirit than trying to find a job.

What do you do, or did, may I ask?

Back
Top Bottom