• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fingernail clipping at your desk at work...

• Gross

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Acceptable

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Never really thought about it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

1. Gross
  2. Acceptable
  3. Never really thought about it
  4. Other

it's annoying when someone in a cube farm does it. at my old job, there was a person a couple cubes away who always did that.

i only do it if i break a nail. i keep the nails on my right hand longer for playing guitar. i also have an office, and if i have to do it at work, i shut the door.

cubicles suck. in an ideal world, everyone would have an office. i understand that's not feasible, though.

1. Gross
  2. Acceptable
  4. Other

Grooooooooooooooosssssss

I do it in my office all the time. If someone complains, it means they were somewhere they shouldn't be.

Since this office is pretty small, and we stay very busy, the only time I've actually seen it happen is if someone breaks/chips/tears a nail.

It doesn't bother me over much, but on the other hand, I don't care see someone do a full manicure at their desk either. There are better things to do with company time. ;)

For those who feel it's gross, please explain *why* it's gross.

Honest question. I just don't see it as a big deal. :shrug: Though the person should make sure they deposit all the clippings in the trash, of course.

Cutting off bodily material and leaving it laying around the office is gross. It would be gross if you had other peoples hair being clipped and coating everything, or if they spit on stuff, or if they chewed paper obsessively and bits of it were covering the floor (Yes, that's a real example and it was super-freaky). It just is.
Typically you do this at home at night in the bathroom over the sink or in the tub/shower. Or in the morning as you get ready for work in the same place. When you forget this, and those scraggly nails get you wanting to fix it at the office, I understand (I think there is hard wiring to feel that compulsion). Everyone likely feels that urge, and I even succumb to it sometimes. But it's still gross for a workplace IMO. It's not high up on the gross scale, but it registers.

Cutting off bodily material and leaving it laying around the office is gross. It would be gross if you had other peoples hair being clipped and coating everything, or if they spit on stuff, or if they chewed paper obsessively and bits of it were covering the floor (Yes, that's a real example and it was super-freaky). It just is.
Typically you do this at home at night in the bathroom over the sink or in the tub/shower. Or in the morning as you get ready for work in the same place. When you forget this, and those scraggly nails get you wanting to fix it at the office, I understand (I think there is hard wiring to feel that compulsion). Everyone likely feels that urge, and I even succumb to it sometimes. But it's still gross for a workplace IMO. It's not high up on the gross scale, but it registers.

If you think clipping your nails is the worst thing you can do at work that should be done in the tub/shower, I could really destroy your mind on things.

1. Gross
  2. Acceptable
  4. Other

I haven't done that at work. I plead the fifth for everything else.

My office is the only place I clip my nails, popping them directly into the garbage can.

For me, that's kind of up there with snipping one's nose hairs at work. Personal grooming should be done in a private setting. If a fingernail breaks and requires clipping, or if one is so entranced with fingernail (or toenail) clipping that they must do it at work, at least go into the restroom for your session! The constant "click" "click" of the clippers is like fingernails on a chalkboard!! :lol:

I don't worry about it. I work alone in 3600 sq/ft shop. If I tear a nail I find a small pair of side cutters (dykes) and trim it. I'm not even looking for a grbage can, that floor will be swept soon enough... by me. But then, I have cut myself badly on the job, just grabbed my med kit, stitched it up and gone back to work.

My office is the only place I clip my nails, popping them directly into the garbage can.

Far more proper than a limber lady, at her desk, chewing her toenails off; while wearing a short skirt ! :shock:

Thom Paine

1. Gross
  2. Acceptable
  4. Other

I try to avoid it. If I just have a rough edge, I'll just rub it off on my jeans or the chair.

If it actually breaks off, I generally go to the bathroom and clip.

I am an ex-nail biter, and I will chew those suckers down to the quick without even knowing it if there's an annoying, jagged edge. I always have a clipper with me so I can just take it off and avoid that.

I go outside.

I'll do it if I forget to before a gig...normally I remember to check them before I leave. But on occasion I don't...for whatever reason.

Even then, I go outside after setting.up the equipment and doing a sound check.

Yes...it's kind of gross....however, if the person uses a tissue to put the couplings in and promptly disposes of them....I don't think it's totally unacceptable.....toenails, OTOH....that should be a capital crime.

Speaking of toenails....my wife talked me into getting a pedicure a year or so ago....I was hesitant, as I had the mindset that "men don't get pedicures". But I relented, and it was great....I've gone back twice since then. It kind of rejuvenates your whole feet and.lower legs.....of course, the Asian lady that does it teased me each.time...by asking what color I wanted on my nails...

I'll do it if I forget to before a gig...normally I remember to check them before I leave. But on occasion I don't...for whatever reason.

Even then, I go outside after setting.up the equipment and doing a sound check.

Yes...it's kind of gross....however, if the person uses a tissue to put the couplings in and promptly disposes of them....I don't think it's totally unacceptable.....toenails, OTOH....that should be a capital crime.

Speaking of toenails....my wife talked me into getting a pedicure a year or so ago....I was hesitant, as I had the mindset that "men don't get pedicures". But I relented, and it was great....I've gone back twice since then. It kind of rejuvenates your whole feet and.lower legs.....of course, the Asian lady that does it teased me each.time...by asking what color I wanted on my nails...
What color did you choose? :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom