• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Find A Job While Training

Mr. Invisible

A Man Without A Country
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
So, as many of you know, I was accepted into Officer Candidate School for the Army Reserves and I ship out in August to Fort Benning.

I have been accepted by the 773rd Transportation Company, so my MOS will by logisitics and so after OCS, I'll be attending Transportation School.

What I am currently worried about is finding a job after I fully come out of training.

Currently, I am working at Shoprite and can't find a salaried job, despite having looked on a weekly, if not daily basis for two years. What I don't want is for me to go through all of this, just to be in the same position that I started out in: working a minimum wage job.

Is there a way I can secure a job while in Transportation School, for example?

I know the PAYS system sets me up with a job interview, however, all I've seen is truck drivers for which you need a CDL.

Any tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, as many of you know, I was accepted into Officer Candidate School for the Army Reserves and I ship out in August to Fort Benning.

I have been accepted by the 773rd Transportation Company, so my MOS will by logisitics and so after OCS, I'll be attending Transportation School.

What I am currently worried about is finding a job after I fully come out of training.

Currently, I am working at Shoprite and can't find a salaried job, despite having looked on a weekly, if not daily basis for two years. What I don't want is for me to go through all of this, just to be in the same position that I started out in: working a minimum wage job.

I know the PAYS system sets me up with a job interview, however, all I've seen is truck drivers for which you need a CDL.

With your training in logistics, you could work part time as a trucking dispatcher pretty easily.

Officer is a good gig. See if you can activate.

Logistics is a good gig as well - I would push into that. See if you can get the Army to pay for you to get Six Sigma certified.

You are going to face discrimination because of your Reserve affiliation. That sucks, but it's also reality - companies have to look after themselves. So, make sure you bring something extra to the table.

Logistics is a good gig as well - I would push into that. See if you can get the Army to pay for you to get Six Sigma certified.

You are going to face discrimination because of your Reserve affiliation. That sucks, but it's also reality - companies have to look after themselves. So, make sure you bring something extra to the table.

Thanks for the info.

Well, it ain't like I wanted to do Reserves. I wanted active, but they put me in Reserves. I'm gonna do my year or so and then see if I can go active.

IDK what extra I'd bring to the table. I mean, generally I get along with people pretty good though.

With your training in logistics, you could work part time as a trucking dispatcher pretty easily.

Thanks.

I'm also looking up and bookmarking websites that are specifically for veterans or people in the military to find civilian jobs.

Thanks for the info.

Well, it ain't like I wanted to do Reserves. I wanted active, but they put me in Reserves. I'm gonna do my year or so and then see if I can go active.

IDK what extra I'd bring to the table. I mean, generally I get along with people pretty good though.

That's where you are looking to get the Army to pay for you to get Certs. Whether it's Project Management, Six Sigma, or whatnot - find the portion of logistics that you can enter, and find out what certs are relevant to it.

Incidentally, I did Airborne at Benning in August. I would recommend that you drink more water than you think a healthy human being should be able to consume, and do that every day.

That's where you are looking to get the Army to pay for you to get Certs. Whether it's Project Management, Six Sigma, or whatnot - find the portion of logistics that you can enter, and find out what certs are relevant to it.

I will try to get more info on that. I dunno what portion of logistics I am going to enter until I meet up with my unit, which will hopefully be next week.

Problem is with the guard/reserves your trained mos and skills learned mean even less than active duty, because you do it part time, which means little experience. To get a job, your best bet is to find a temp job and do good at it and burn no bridges. After you get to your reserve unit, there are often tech jobs available, which run at the federal level with good pay, so long as you can stand working 15 and 30 minute hours.

If you like to work for a sense of accomplishment or productivity, the guard and reserves is the ultimate good ole boy system, get friendly with people, and if you are one of them, they will usually bend over backwards to get you a job, somewhere somehow.

Problem is with the guard/reserves your trained mos and skills learned mean even less than active duty, because you do it part time, which means little experience. To get a job, your best bet is to find a temp job and do good at it and burn no bridges. After you get to your reserve unit, there are often tech jobs available, which run at the federal level with good pay, so long as you can stand working 15 and 30 minute hours.

If you like to work for a sense of accomplishment or productivity, the guard and reserves is the ultimate good ole boy system, get friendly with people, and if you are one of them, they will usually bend over backwards to get you a job, somewhere somehow.

Well, I generally get along with people, so I am hoping I can find a job doing something at least. If not, I'll have to wait a year and try and go active.

Well, I generally get along with people, so I am hoping I can find a job doing something at least. If not, I'll have to wait a year and try and go active.

Active can be rewarding, but I have been on both sides of the isle, the grass is not greener on the other side, it is just a different tint of green.

active duty has stability, security etc, but more pt(minor problem to anyone not lazy) but has alot of mindless tasks. If you can stand being bossed around and sweeping small sections of floor to look busy because you finished your job but need to look busy, active duty is for you.

If you hate doing such, and like to be a soldier but hate the constant micro management, the reserves are for you. In reality each person is different, and both sides have people who hate where they are and want to switch back.

If you have to wait a year to switch, try reserves, you will either love it or hate it, if you hate it go active duty, simple as that.

Active can be rewarding, but I have been on both sides of the isle, the grass is not greener on the other side, it is just a different tint of green.

active duty has stability, security etc, but more pt(minor problem to anyone not lazy) but has alot of mindless tasks. If you can stand being bossed around and sweeping small sections of floor to look busy because you finished your job but need to look busy, active duty is for you.

If you hate doing such, and like to be a soldier but hate the constant micro management, the reserves are for you. In reality each person is different, and both sides have people who hate where they are and want to switch back.

If you have to wait a year to switch, try reserves, you will either love it or hate it, if you hate it go active duty, simple as that.

Truth. Thanks for the info.

I'm just need a stable job man. Things aren't going too well at home.

Truth. Thanks for the info.

I'm just need a stable job man. Things aren't going too well at home.

Then when you get to your unit, ask around, most reserve units are more like families than military units. Unless you piss everyone off you should b able to get a job throuh connections, you wil meet soldiers who work minimum wage to soldiers who work for 150k a year in it fields, and everything inbetween, it is up to you to be outgoing to get these connections.

Doesn't work like that anymore. Can't just go reserve to active, it's almost impossible. You can get title 10 orders in the reserves, but it's easier for an enlisted grunt.

Easy advice. When you get to Benning since you're a reservist, you'll have a reserves career counselor who sits in the 30th AG building. You'll meet him or her in reception and they'll help you find a job.

Easy advice. When you get to Benning since you're a reservist, you'll have a reserves career counselor who sits in the 30th AG building. You'll meet him or her in reception and they'll help you find a job.

(sorry meant to tag you in this)

(sorry meant to tag you in this)

Thank you! I really appreciate this :)

Doesn't work like that anymore. Can't just go reserve to active, it's almost impossible. You can get title 10 orders in the reserves, but it's easier for an enlisted grunt.

Well, I did hear that if I did really well at OCS, they could offer me active, but at the same time, I contacted HR down at FT Knox and a CPT responded to me in an email where he said, in part, "Please note that within the current drawdown and considering Army branch/grades inventory, the prognosis is not generally favorable."

So IDK man. I'd really love to go active though.

Well, I did hear that if I did really well at OCS, they could offer me active, but at the same time, I contacted HR down at FT Knox and a CPT responded to me in an email where he said, in part, "Please note that within the current drawdown and considering Army branch/grades inventory, the prognosis is not generally favorable."

Greetings, Mr. Invisible. :2wave:

Out of curiosity, what would you like to specialize in if you had a choice? :cool:

Greetings, Mr. Invisible. :2wave:

Out of curiosity, what would you like to specialize in if you had a choice? :cool:

Combat-wise: 1. Infantry (so I can go Rangers) or 2. Armor

Non-combat: Logistics or Signal Corps (Both are good for the civilian world.)

It's order of merit, you're right. However, you automatically are bumped down the list from military academies and DC's before you even get there. Going active after signing with the reserves is VERY difficult for an officer. However, it's certainly not impossible and varies upon the needs of the Army.

Combat-wise: 1. Infantry (so I can go Rangers) or 2. Armor

Non-combat: Logistics or Signal Corps (Both are good for the civilian world.)

If you're willing to move to the DC metro area as a civilian, Signal or geospatial intel are more valuable than doctorate degrees. More valuable than any masters degree. If you can branch sigint or intel, I can list off hundreds of high paying jobs for you just on the block I work at.

Also, don't short yourself. Many units can send an officer to Ranger school, RASP, outside the regiment for leadership development. Ranger is all about leadership. Heck, you could even convince your command to send you to RASP if you're a slick talker- no matter what you branch.

You might look into commercial moving companies, (the people who move offices),
I helped with one of my facility moves in the DC area about 8 years ago, and the guy running the
crew, ran it like he had been an officer in someones army.
Anyway, companies like that need people who have specialized training in logistics.

If you're willing to move to the DC metro area as a civilian, Signal or geospatial intel are more valuable than doctorate degrees. More valuable than any masters degree. If you can branch sigint or intel, I can list off hundreds of high paying jobs for you just on the block I work at.

Also, don't short yourself. Many units can send an officer to Ranger school, RASP, outside the regiment for leadership development. Ranger is all about leadership. Heck, you could even convince your command to send you to RASP if you're a slick talker- no matter what you branch.

Thanks.

I wanted to go Rangers so I could be in a Ranger Batt. though I did learn from a Ranger at a Future Soldier Event that you can only be in a Batt. for like 1-1.5 years tops.

You might look into commercial moving companies, (the people who move offices),
I helped with one of my facility moves in the DC area about 8 years ago, and the guy running the
crew, ran it like he had been an officer in someones army.
Anyway, companies like that need people who have specialized training in logistics.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom