• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finally Someone is Challenging the Word "Redskins" [W:63]

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
They haven't announced anything in an official fashion, but TheMMQB.com's Robert Klemko said in a radio interview Thursday that the Peter King's new Sports Illustrated NFL microsite will no longer be referring to Washington's professional football team as the "Redskins."
"I know that our site, we’ve talked about it, and we’re not going to use Redskins in our writing," Klemko said on CBS Sports Radio’s MoJo with Chris Moore and Brian Jones. "We’re going to say ‘Washington football team.' And it’s not something we’re going to publicize or write about. We’re just not going to do it."
If indeed that is implemented, it's probably only a matter of time before other mainstream sports sites like King's began to adopt such policies, regardless of how informal they are. The name, which is blatantly racist and has always been somewhat controversial, has become a lightning rod of late, with local politicians, respected NFL executives and even members of congress urging the team to get with the times and consider making a change.
Earlier this month, Slate announced that it was discontinuing use of the name in its publication, and ESPN's Rob King refused to use the name in a Q&A we posted earlier this week. The comments reacting to this piece I wrote in January indicate the fans are typically on the other side of this argument. It's hard to find anyone in the media willing to support the name, but team owner Daniel Snyder won't budge.
That could eventually change, though, if the businesses that support Snyder and his team begin to reconsider their investments based on the fact the players wear an epithet on their jerseys. Media embargoes like the one The MMQB is apparently adopting could begin to set those wheels in motion.
[FONT=Chaparral Pro, Georgia, Arial]
[/FONT][CBS Sports Radio]

Why this racial slur has been allowed to flourish in these times is amazing. Don Imus was fired for saying "nappy headed hos" referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team. Jimmy The Greek said "It was bred in to them" referring to a question about why black athletes were better athletes. Can anyone justify this pathetic racial slur? I hope this gets the ball rolling to get the name changed forever. Isn't this team the favorite among our members of congress?!

re: Finally Someone is Challenging the Word "Redskins" [W:63]

It's not something they're going to publicize or write about... except when they publicize and write about it. Lol

Is "Redskins" really a racial slur? Native Americans don't think so, so I'm not sure why others do?

It's not something they're going to publicize or write about... except when they publicize and write about it. Lol

Is "Redskins" really a racial slur? Native Americans don't think so, so I'm not sure why others do?

If liberals want to celebrate those with black skin ("Black is beautiful"), then why are they obsessed with "Redskins"?

We have poverty, domestic violence, drug and alcohol use, child abuse and sexual assault rampant on Indian reservations...but hey..lets really show our 'solidarity' by giving a **** about the name of a football team.

Morons.

Why is this even an issue? Most people, including Native Americans, just don't care.

Maybe the Redskins should just change the logo to a potato and be done with it.

Or maybe everybody should ignore this nonsense.

As I said at profootballtalk where this topic is obsessed over.

Congratulations to Peter King's site. They can join the long line of White Men who feel they know better than native americans about what should and shouldn't offend them.

Though it later came out that this dumbass shot his mouth off too quick and Peter King said no such decision has been made.

Other words that were once used prominently as slurs, but have since became almost universally recognized by people as referencing sports franchises and not as a "slur", are still used without any concern...take for instance the New York Yankees. Other names potentially "offensive" to a small minority of a population are still potentially present; take the "FIGHTING" Irish of Notre Dame or the Buffalo Bills, a name Glorifying the man who perpetuated the "Noble Savage" stereotype of native americans and was instrumental in the forced extinction of an animal integral to many tribes lives.

Those on the "change the name" side generally rely on opinion and a vocal minority. The only actual study of note that has been done regardnig Native American views on the issue shows that 90% finding the name not to be an issue. It's nothing but a feel good, easy way out, pat yourself on the back ploy for bleeding heart white people in the Media and a nice "cause" for a few more activist native americans. You want to help the native american population? How about focusing on the plethora of legitimate, substantial, meaningful issues ravaging native populations rather than a goddamn 70+ year old name of a sports franchise that the vast majority don't have an issue with and some are even fans.

If "Redskins" is not a derogatory racial slur then why have Native Americans voiced strong objection to it contrary to some of the incorrect posts made here? Going back in time "those dirty redskins" was common place in most western films. Perhaps some of the enlightened posters here consider "those" or "dirty" as the real slur!! Why not try to fly the rebel flag in your front yard to see what responses to get. Every race has a racial slur attached to the color of skin, so please tell me what the slur is for native American if it is not "redskin"?

If liberals want to celebrate those with black skin ("Black is beautiful"), then why are they obsessed with "Redskins"?

Call a black person "Blackie" and see what happens.

As I said at profootballtalk where this topic is obsessed over.

Congratulations to Peter King's site. They can join the long line of White Men who feel they know better than native americans about what should and shouldn't offend them.

Though it later came out that this dumbass shot his mouth off too quick and Peter King said no such decision has been made.

Other words that were once used prominently as slurs, but have since became almost universally recognized by people as referencing sports franchises and not as a "slur", are still used without any concern...take for instance the New York Yankees. Other names potentially "offensive" to a small minority of a population are still potentially present; take the "FIGHTING" Irish of Notre Dame or the Buffalo Bills, a name Glorifying the man who perpetuated the "Noble Savage" stereotype of native americans and was instrumental in the forced extinction of an animal integral to many tribes lives.

Those on the "change the name" side generally rely on opinion and a vocal minority. The only actual study of note that has been done regardnig Native American views on the issue shows that 90% finding the name not to be an issue. It's nothing but a feel good, easy way out, pat yourself on the back ploy for bleeding heart white people in the Media and a nice "cause" for a few more activist native americans. You want to help the native american population? How about focusing on the plethora of legitimate, substantial, meaningful issues ravaging native populations rather than a goddamn 70+ year old name of a sports franchise that the vast majority don't have an issue with and some are even fans.

Some institutions die harder than others and this slur has been a topic since the beginning. It is not white people it is rather where we as a whole nation are today. We will never be free of the history of this country but we should for the sake of common sense and common decency erase the remaining "signs" and symbols of an ignorant and brutal national policy of human slaughter.

If "Redskins" is not a derogatory racial slur then why have Native Americans voiced strong objection to it contrary to some of the incorrect posts made here? Going back in time "those dirty redskins" was common place in most western films. Perhaps some of the enlightened posters here consider "those" or "dirty" as the real slur!! Why not try to fly the rebel flag in your front yard to see what responses to get. Every race has a racial slur attached to the color of skin, so please tell me what the slur is for native American if it is not "redskin"?
Read the history of the Redskins, then get back to me.
The nations gave their blessing to the team back in the 1920s when they moved to DC from Boston.
Only now in the United States of the Offended do we have an issue.
But Dan Snyder is a very very wealthy man and has vowed to fight the issue.
Also, the way the Redskins are portrayed on the uniforms and helmets as well as the how the fan base respects the name.
I dont know why the Native Americans would not try to latch on to it and use it to bring positive change for their causes.

your overly sensitive nature offends me

Some institutions die harder than others and this slur has been a topic since the beginning. It is not white people it is rather where we as a whole nation are today. We will never be free of the history of this country but we should for the sake of common sense and common decency erase the remaining "signs" and symbols of an ignorant and brutal national policy of human slaughter.
How do the Washington Redskins diminish the Native Americans? Ever looked at their logo? Very stern and proud Native American.

.... I hope this gets the ball rolling to get the name changed forever.
ohbrother.jpg

Last edited:

Da Bears n the
21kyqmf.jpg

Well, Washington already caved and changed the name of the basketball team. People were so offended by "The Bullets" not even knowing why they were called that.
I guess we should go to the Football Hall of Fame and strike "Bullet" from the information of "Bullet" Bob Hayes who played for the Cowboys and 49ers.

Well, I'm Native American and I find it funny that most people still call us "Indians," as if they still don't realize India is where Indians come from.

But to list some slurs we don't like: Chief, Injun, Prairie Nigger, Savage, Tonto, Buffalo jockey...and I am sure local tribes-people are given all sorts of local slurs by non-natives near the reservations. We also get pissed off by logos that make us look stupid (like Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians).

Redskins? Meh...w/e.

They haven't announced anything in an official fashion, but TheMMQB.com's Robert Klemko said in a radio interview Thursday that the Peter King's new Sports Illustrated NFL microsite will no longer be referring to Washington's professional football team as the "Redskins."
"I know that our site, we’ve talked about it, and we’re not going to use Redskins in our writing," Klemko said on CBS Sports Radio’s MoJo with Chris Moore and Brian Jones. "We’re going to say ‘Washington football team.' And it’s not something we’re going to publicize or write about. We’re just not going to do it."
If indeed that is implemented, it's probably only a matter of time before other mainstream sports sites like King's began to adopt such policies, regardless of how informal they are. The name, which is blatantly racist and has always been somewhat controversial, has become a lightning rod of late, with local politicians, respected NFL executives and even members of congress urging the team to get with the times and consider making a change.
Earlier this month, Slate announced that it was discontinuing use of the name in its publication, and ESPN's Rob King refused to use the name in a Q&A we posted earlier this week. The comments reacting to this piece I wrote in January indicate the fans are typically on the other side of this argument. It's hard to find anyone in the media willing to support the name, but team owner Daniel Snyder won't budge.
That could eventually change, though, if the businesses that support Snyder and his team begin to reconsider their investments based on the fact the players wear an epithet on their jerseys. Media embargoes like the one The MMQB is apparently adopting could begin to set those wheels in motion.
[FONT=Chaparral Pro, Georgia, Arial]
[/FONT][CBS Sports Radio]

Why this racial slur has been allowed to flourish in these times is amazing. Don Imus was fired for saying "nappy headed hos" referring to the Rutgers women's basketball team. Jimmy The Greek said "It was bred in to them" referring to a question about why black athletes were better athletes. Can anyone justify this pathetic racial slur? I hope this gets the ball rolling to get the name changed forever. Isn't this team the favorite among our members of congress?!

That's stupid.

All liberals should love those equal opportunity racial celebrants and supporters of interracial relations, the Chicago Black Hawks.

If "Redskins" is not a derogatory racial slur then why have Native Americans voiced strong objection to it contrary to some of the incorrect posts made here?

Yes, Redskin has been in the past and rarely still is in the present used as a racial slur. That's not it's only use, nor is it the most identified use of the word in the modern day. Furthermore, yes there are some native american's that have voiced "strong objections" to it (Whose said otherwise in posts around here?) the vast majority of native americans. However, 2/3rds of native americans on reservations feel that sports teams with native american related nicknames shouldn't be changed (Source). 90% of Native Americans aren't bothered by the name, with only 9% finding it offensive (SOURCE). You'll not, "unlikely some posts made here", MY claims are sourced.

Yes, back "in time" Redskins was used as a slur (Going back further in time, it was also used by both Natives and others to differentiate between the "red skins" and the "white skins" of the new comers to the land). However, in the present time, nearly 80% of the general population feel the name should be kept, seemingly finding it not offensive (SOURCE). While "back in time" it may've been routinely used as a slur, in the present it's overwhelmingly most common use is to describe a football team...not to deride native americans.

Take a moment to think of that. 90% of Native Americans aren't bothered by it, but only 80% of the general population is. CLEARLY, I guess the "white man" just knows better than those poor ignorant savages and we need to protect them from themselves, huh rhinefire?

Back
Top Bottom